to clear the air a bit....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that norway job was for a tree svc i only work at once a week. the owner can identify about 4 tree's. all ever greens are a pines to him. which ever company i work for they sell their jobs. i do not estimate. every once in a blue moon i'm able to talk a customer out of topping and just do a general pruning. i usually try to talk them out of topping if its a nice tree and i know i could make it look pretty when i'm done. but as an employee i don't over step my bounds. i don't agree with doing shabby work but, its what i was asked to do and the customer was happy. i even got to see a womens upper half as she was changing in a 5 floor apartment, that put a smile on my face.

I don't want anyone leaving, and I hope I didn't come on too strong. We all benefit from where we are to where we need to be, and it takes all of us to come up with good solid answers.

I agree that the majority of us wouldn't think of using spikes while pruning, but that isn't a judge of character as much as past practice and believing what is scientifically researched.

Let us all not be afraid to keep mentioning points in our daily work that may open us up to question, but benefits all of us none-the-less.

Gopher

I used to think that climbing with spikes was the only way. But... "I have seen the light!" I picked up some relatively cheap pieces of equipment and havent used spikes on pruning since. Actually have climbed nothing more than rope on a few removals. As far as everybody in the city spiking the trees goes... I know of SEVERAL reputable tree companies that do a lot of work down in the city and for them to use spikes on pruning jobs would be unfathomable.

Used spike on a removal today and while thinking about this thread figured out why I dislike them so much. When spiking I mostly seem to be standing on the spikes, while only slightly leaning back. Essentially my wieght is on my feet the whole time. Maybe I could use some improvement in technique. And riding in the saddle seems so much more graceful and comfortable. And I probably need to pick up a new set of hooks. What do you recommend. Bashlins with velcro straps?
God Bless All,
Daniel

i use baslins with the velcro cinch straps. since you only wear them for removals, when you remove a branch leave a 4in nub so you could place a flat foot on it to give your feet a rest. i used to have a bad problem with heel spurs. i had a pair of orthotics made for my boots and its a world of difference. also throw your rope above you to tie in if you want to get the weight off your feet.

Back