To restore or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I restored this one without using paint. Can you imagine how much dirt and grime I dug out of this saw? I even found a mud dauber's nest inside the pull cord housing:
Stihl MS310 Before.jpg No "after" picture required. You all know what a new Stihl MS310 looks like. I replaced the beat-up sprocket cover housing and added an outside bumper spike. I might have spent $90 on this one. Restoring saws is fun.

I restored this one without using paint. Can you imagine how much dirt and grime I dug out of this saw? I even found a mud dauber's nest inside the pull cord housing:
View attachment 781047 No "after" picture required. You all know what a new Stihl MS310 looks like. I replaced the beat-up sprocket cover housing and added an outside bumper spike. I might have spent $90 on this one. Restoring saws is fun.

That 044 I did was the worst when I got it. I ended buying a ultrasonic cleaner after I was done and plan on buying a parts cleaner next.

I inherited my fathers chainsaws and I've debated restoring them or leaving them as is, a sentimental thing. I decided to leave them as is and still use them except for one, his McCulloch PM 610, the first 60cc saw I used as teenager. I can buy them on ebay all day long , but its not the same saw he used or I used , no one else would care but I do.

It's nice to see all the saw restorations that people have done, to me its keeping history alive .

Love the 610's. Is that bar a real mcculloch or a stencil
The 20" bar on the 361 is real and in fact, the original. The 28" bar might be a copy. I bought that about 12 years ago. Nowadays I would have noodle cut all those big rounds in half in order to load the truck. So, it's a classic Pic that will never be replicated.

Welcome to the club! I’ve got at least fifteen project saws. And try real hard not to buy anymore. ....but sometimes I still do. I don’t hold on to saws though. Build em and sell em.

Couldn’t pass this up yesterday. My gf gave me the eye roll when I told her
1052B605-F7F3-4DD5-949C-6B879C247C75.jpeg

That's why I asked for opinions on restoring. I have 7 saws all in good mechanical shape some are just worn looks wise. I'll probably pull the trigger on 3-4 more from my want ad responses too. In all honesty the wild thing would get me by with no other saws. I feel like I should probably spend time restoring my saws instead of buying more. 10 or 11 saws is a little excessive for a guy that only burns wood in the outdoor pit or in the shop. It's a disease I'm telling you

That's why I asked for opinions on restoring. I have 7 saws all in good mechanical shape some are just worn looks wise. I'll probably pull the trigger on 3-4 more from my want ad responses too. In all honesty the wild thing would get me by with no other saws. I feel like I should probably spend time restoring my saws instead of buying more. 10 or 11 saws is a little excessive for a guy that only burns wood in the outdoor pit or in the shop. It's a disease I'm telling you

I got the disease

Back