Today I picked up my new Stihl ms 441 M-Tronic Chain Saw, first saw ever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikesprojects

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
That's right, i'm a pro finish carpenter & when it came time to choose a chain saw to cut firewood (after doing 100's of hours of research) I chose a M-tronic 441. Safety first for me since i'm new to chainsaws. I can tell more about my dealer experience an another post but I have one quick question first.
I ordered the wrap handle, m-tronic version & just want to be sure I got what I ordered. I glanced the owners manual and it says nothing about mtronic & My new saw only says 441 on the side when I notice other people in youtube videos says 441c. It does have ss muffler & the easy 3 lever saw (whats it called?) controls.... does this sound right? (I'm sure it does, just checking with you all first)... thanks......, Its one bad mother of a power tool...

You have NOT got the M Tronic model.
I think your dealer has stitched you up with the old model.
Strongly recommend you take it back and get the M Tronic model it has the 441C on the flywheel cover and no holes for carb adjustment and stainless muffler.
The R model (wrap) comes with
wrap handle
twin bumper spikes
high out put oiler
roller chain catcher
large clutch cover
stiffer AV springs

I sold one a couple of weeks ago that we had in stock for two years. It didn't have any letters on it, had to do a double take to make sure it was the m-tronic. Not sure why unless they just finished using parts from the non m-tronic model when they made the switch.

Does it have carb adjustment holes in the side? The C doesn't have any.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

See stihlman441 pointed the above out, missed it.

Last edited:
Enjoy the new saw. You will be amazed at how fast and powerful this saw is!! I've gt maybe 3-4 tanks threw mine and it puts a smile on my face every time it fire it up. Becareful cutting with it that is a lot of saw to start out with.

was NOT a m-tronic

I got there and the owner & technician said because it said Magnium it was a m-tronic, I said YOU are the dealer & should know more about these saws then a first time saw buyer. Technician refused to remove air filter housing to show me the red wire that I know is supposed tp be under there. It was like dealing with a rookie dealer, don't know how else to describe it. I made sure they knew before they placed the original order I wanted the m-tronic carb, 2 stroke is new to me & I wanted the most technically advanced stihl chain saw ever (lol) since my cutting will be from 2000' - 9000' I want to always be in tune. Finally I asked where the carb adjustments on this saw are and they showed me 3 little holes on the side, BAM, I said see, this is not a mtronic because those don't have that (this dealer doesn't even know, well were not in logging country either ) He kept showing me his computer screen where it says mtronic, I responded I don't care what the screen says I want what I ordered (I was so close to asking for a full return of my cash I spent there earlier)
Luckily they had a 441 m tronic in the shelf & I had to show him the 3 position control lever & how the side says 441c THEN showed him mine had a 4 position control lever, ooohhhh he said "I have to get to the bottom of this". Finally he understood or I proved to him without a doubt I know what i'm talking about, hmmn, my blood pressure was pumping. I want nothing to do with this non m tronic saw I said so I left it there & got it in writing It was in my position for only 2 hours (still had time to cut 15 cookies on a 20' LOG, =) ) He said he will take care of it first thing in the morning when his dealer opened at 7am that I will get the m tronic. (its hard to tell if hes spitting bs though, still he's a nice guy) I had to relax a bit when I was there because I speak loud & can act like a jerk (just comes naturally, ha) When I stopped talking loud and started talking very quiet as if he was a baby he responded differently and then also became easier to deal with. He was just being defensive when I first went in with this problem.....anyways, thank you everybody here, .....
I will keep this updated, I got a written receipt that I only had it for 2 hours, I asked about stihls 100% money back guarantee to let him know that I know & he said yes, okay great...Chances are it was a simple mistake. I think he ordered the wrong saw. He should have ordered the ms441r c-m but he ordered ms 441r . he said the "r" stood for wrap??? okay but isnt wrap spelled with a double you...... Anyways no biggie I hope, I have enough proof to win in court if need be but what a pain, I wanted to go cutting this weekend...thanks again -Mike

Thanks stihlman441

PS i HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN BEFORE from all the research & threads i've read researching this saw, oh well but I will tell you something, it put a fat smile on my face for the 2 hours I had it & cant wait to get it back, so so so much fun

Last edited:
You have NOT got the M Tronic model.
I think your dealer has stitched you up with the old model.
Strongly recommend you take it back and get the M Tronic model it has the 441C on the flywheel cover and no holes for carb adjustment and stainless muffler.
The R model (wrap) comes with
wrap handle
twin bumper spikes
high out put oiler
roller chain catcher
large clutch cover
stiffer AV springs

glad you saw this thread, thank you very much

I sold one a couple of weeks ago that we had in stock for two years. It didn't have any letters on it, had to do a double take to make sure it was the m-tronic. Not sure why unless they just finished using parts from the non m-tronic model when they made the switch.

so maybe it was, is a m but mine had adjustments on the side for and carb. This is a great forum, thanks for the assistance

so maybe it was, is a m but mine had adjustments on the side for and carb. This is a great forum, thanks for the assistance

Stihl uses the letter R for the wrap terminology. I'm not sure why but they do. Husqvarna uses the xpw for the western set up which is it's wrap handle version.

Good move to wait on the real M-Tronic. You'll love it even more.
441RC-M28ESLIGHT.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

Re: was not an M-Tronic

...It was like dealing with a rookie dealer, don't know how else to describe it...

Disappointing. Not all dealers are capable of providing quality service and repair. Hopefully you can find another Stihl dealer locally that is listed on the Stihl website as a "STIHL Elite Dealer" and "Factory Certified Service Technician".

Disappointing. Not all dealers are capable of providing quality service and repair. Hopefully you can find another Stihl dealer locally that is listed on the Stihl website as a "STIHL Elite Dealer" and "Factory Certified Service Technician".

Yeah, I noticed from the stihl web site there is a "STIHL Elite Dealer" about 40 miles from me near where I'll be using this saw. It's the only one on the site with that star. Had I known that I would of just gone there plus they are up in the mountains in southern california so I would have enjoyed the nice views. I'll stop in there sometime to check it out for sure. I know one thing, I will not let (trust) this dealer to service my new saw if it ever needs servicing (its a stihl so may never need servicing, lol)

I went to my local mountains last week to scope out a possible firewood spot before I ordered this saw & low and behold lots of big wood with a $15 firewood permit. I will try to post a pic, this is in Big Bear, ca near snow summit mountain at 8,500' elevation only 35 miles from my home & 20 minutes from that Elite Dealer I mentioned, mostly pine and oak but it all burns, locals were scooping it up real quick...

Its probably too late to go to this other dealer now, oh well, lesson for anybody reading this that's new to saws to, find a elite dealer.....

oh, how do I post pics? Got to figure this out

Good luck getting the right saw. FWIW, that is a REALLY big saw to learn on, so be super careful with it. It is a good one though. :rock:

Dealer just called me the day after like he said

Sure enough my local dealer called me after he spoke to his contact with BREAKING news for me. He just found out that the old 441 I received has been discontinued and ALL the new saws will be equipped with the m-tronic feature. He said he should have ordered the r c-m model (we already knew that)
He was surprised to learn this because yesterday ,I'm not kidding about this, HE HONESTLY DIHNT KNOW WHAT M TRONIC WAS so when I told him in the past I wanted that feature It must of went over his head...Also when I was asking him if his tech had the equipment to deal with any possible m-tronic issues before I placed my order he said yes of coarse so again he was blowing smoke because he didn't know what m-tronic even was... Suppose I should of known better but lesson learned. This shop sells a variety of equipment & repairs lawn mowers all day. SO He said The m-tronic saws are on back order because supply is down because lots of folks are buying it and he didn't know how long it would take to get me a new one, he said he'll find out later today but he said my old discontinued one will end up being a display at his store so he might be eating his profits on this sale, I don't know but looks like a real m-tronic is in my future.

That old 441 was so so bad a$$ its not even funny. for all I know it wasn't even tuned but still ran great, wow for being the first time I used a real chain saw i'm in love, he he.... I now see why real loggers skip the 441 & go for a 460 or 660 because for $100 more then the lesser model you can have 10 more cc's or more, well that and another pound of weight added but I get it. If they didn't have m tronic I would of had a 362 and probably wishing for more power. I would like a 261mtronic when they are available in the states though. Anyways enough rambling. the 441 is a powerful machine and I recommend it to anybody that wants to use it for a firewood saw, I think it was light enough with a 20" bar

Now again ill try to post pic...

Back