Today I picked up my new Stihl ms 441 M-Tronic Chain Saw, first saw ever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck getting the right saw. FWIW, that is a REALLY big saw to learn on, so be super careful with it. It is a good one though. :rock:

I will, I'm a 20 year pro finish carpenter so I know how to think ahead before I move or make any step. I know accidents happen but lots can be prevented if the user uses full concentration. Anyways I ordered full wrap chaps 9 layers $140, looking to get steel towed boots. Don't know if I need a hardhat with ear muffs and face shield, i wont be dropping any trees but even though the saw didn't seem very loud to me compared to my circular saw and table saw I will still wear ear protection like I do with the other saws I use (I started wearing them last year, now I don't like noise) Don't know if I need the chainsaw gloves $44 or the vest. Maybe the gloves, not sure. The dealer was giving me 10% off of all the goodies since I bought the expensive saw so I already picked up a lot of stuff that will last a lifetime.

I wont trust just anybody to use this saw, some folks are clumsy & I agree its extremely dangerous in the wrong hands...
Thanks

Last edited:
I will, I'm a 20 year pro finish carpenter so I know how to think ahead before I move or make any step. I know accidents happen but lots can be prevented if the user uses full concentration. Anyways I ordered full wrap chaps 9 layers $140, looking to get steel towed boots. Don't know if I need a hardhat with ear muffs and face shield, i wont be dropping any trees but even though the saw didn't seem very loud to me compared to my circular saw and table saw I will still wear ear protection like I do with the other saws I use (I started wearing them last year, now I don't like noise) Don't know if I need the chainsaw gloves $44 or the vest. Maybe the gloves, not sure. The dealer was giving me 10% off of all the goodies since I bought the expensive saw so I already picked up a lot of stuff that will last a lifetime.

I wont trust just anybody to use this saw, some folks are clumsy & I agree its extremely dangerous in the wrong hands...
Thanks

Buy the Stihl safety helmet. It'll protect your head,eyes, and ears. I had one save me from a severe head injury last spring. It's worth every dime

this is a classic example of why I walk into a dealer and ask to talk to their saw guy. there are a lot of knowledgable people that work the desk but I find there are times this happens. same goes here. people at the desk didn't know a thing about husky autotune even though they had them on their shelves. the shop owner didn't even know. the only one who knew was the saw mechanics. an autotune or mtronic is in my future also. will be the next new saw I buy :) that is one hell of a saw you got there BTW. :rock:

Thanks

Yeah, you sound like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders. Chainsaws can wake you up really fast though hehe! I know many experienced loggers who have had really bad accidents before, and they know what they're doing. I started with an electric Homey when I was 12 and eventually moved up to a 372xp, but I still respect the heck out of anything I run. Good luck!

Nice
Something to look at untill you get your one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You SUCK , really bad!:bowdown:

Hey Mikesprojects

Great saw, and I speak from experience. Glad you stuck to your guns and got the saw you wanted. There's nothing worse than visiting an OPE dealer, asking questions they should be able to handle, and getting the deer in headlights stare.

Others may be able to add to this, but I found the 441C-M takes a real long time to break in. I'm not talking tanks, we're talking gallons here. If you like it when you first cut with it just realize it's going to get a lot stronger the more use it gets.

Take Care

Last edited:
Elite Stihl dealer

...Its probably too late to go to this other dealer now...

Maybe not... Still going to need extra guide bars, chains, rim sprockets, E-clips (@ clutch drum) bar oil, mix oil, forestry helmet, stump vise, chain sharpening kit, round and flat files, and felling wedges. Buy them at the elite dealer and explain the situation; no reason you can't have the 441 serviced there. Another thing - are you going to be limbing? The 441 will get heavy in a hurry and the long bar becomes a liability in close quarters. A second saw for felling smaller trees, limbing, and freeing the inevitable pinched bar would come in mighty handy. The 50cc MS261, once it gets updated with M-Tronic, would complete a great 2-saw plan, and the elite dealer would be the place to get it. :smile:

BTW, really smart move on your part to get the M-Tronic option since you're working at different altitudes.

^ Nailed it. For altitude changes (or temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, fuel, air filter, etc) the M-Tronic (or AutoTune) is the cat's ummm, ...posterior.

I got there and the owner & technician said because it said Magnium it was a m-tronic, I said YOU are the dealer & should know more about these saws then a first time saw buyer. Technician refused to remove air filter housing to show me the red wire that I know is supposed tp be under there. It was like dealing with a rookie dealer, don't know how else to describe it. I made sure they knew before they placed the original order I wanted the m-tronic carb, 2 stroke is new to me & I wanted the most technically advanced stihl chain saw ever (lol) since my cutting will be from 2000' - 9000' I want to always be in tune. Finally I asked where the carb adjustments on this saw are and they showed me 3 little holes on the side, BAM, I said see, this is not a mtronic because those don't have that (this dealer doesn't even know, well were not in logging country either ) He kept showing me his computer screen where it says mtronic, I responded I don't care what the screen says I want what I ordered (I was so close to asking for a full return of my cash I spent there earlier)
Luckily they had a 441 m tronic in the shelf & I had to show him the 3 position control lever & how the side says 441c THEN showed him mine had a 4 position control lever, ooohhhh he said "I have to get to the bottom of this". Finally he understood or I proved to him without a doubt I know what i'm talking about, hmmn, my blood pressure was pumping. I want nothing to do with this non m tronic saw I said so I left it there & got it in writing It was in my position for only 2 hours (still had time to cut 15 cookies on a 20' LOG, =) ) He said he will take care of it first thing in the morning when his dealer opened at 7am that I will get the m tronic. (its hard to tell if hes spitting bs though, still he's a nice guy) I had to relax a bit when I was there because I speak loud & can act like a jerk (just comes naturally, ha) When I stopped talking loud and started talking very quiet as if he was a baby he responded differently and then also became easier to deal with. He was just being defensive when I first went in with this problem.....anyways, thank you everybody here, .....
I will keep this updated, I got a written receipt that I only had it for 2 hours, I asked about stihls 100% money back guarantee to let him know that I know & he said yes, okay great...Chances are it was a simple mistake. I think he ordered the wrong saw. He should have ordered the ms441r c-m but he ordered ms 441r . he said the "r" stood for wrap??? okay but isnt wrap spelled with a double you...... Anyways no biggie I hope, I have enough proof to win in court if need be but what a pain, I wanted to go cutting this weekend...thanks again -Mike

Thanks stihlman441

PS i HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN BEFORE from all the research & threads i've read researching this saw, oh well but I will tell you something, it put a fat smile on my face for the 2 hours I had it & cant wait to get it back, so so so much fun

This is another reason i wish stihl would mail order there stuff. I hate dealing with dealers that dont know anything

Just curious. Could you tell a big difference between the discontinued one and the 441c?

^ Nailed it. For altitude changes (or temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, fuel, air filter, etc) the M-Tronic (or AutoTune) is the cat's ummm, ...posterior.

Congratulations O/P on resolving your original purchase and taking it all the way.

Today, on all the biggest top level saws from Stihl or Husky everything is manual.

No electronic engine management on them and Husqvarna has had A/T technology for years!

Makes you wonder if it's was everything it was cracked up to be then both companies would use it on their most expensive best products.

At the moment Stihl's three biggest saws MS461, MS660 and MS880 don't have M-Tronic and the MS461 is not that old.

Neither do Husky's three biggest models 390XP, 395XP and 3120XP have Auto Tune.

Once technology is available it is fairly simple to adapt to different models at will.

Something just doesn't smell quite right to me here as to why this is so. Must be more than a coincidence.

At the moment Stihl's three biggest saws MS461, MS660 and MS880 don't have M-Tronic and the MS461 is not that old.

Once technology is available it is fairly simple to adapt to different models at will.

Something just doesn't smell quite right to me here as to why this is so. Must be more than a coincidence.

Guessing here, but I'm thinking you've never ran a 441 M-Tronic and the now discontinued "standard" carb 441 together?

Guessing here, but I'm thinking you've never ran a 441 M-Tronic and the now discontinued "standard" carb 441 together?

Hello, no I have not.

Normally new technology filters down from the top most expensive models to the smaller more entry level models in most cases unless there is a valid and prohibitive reason why it is not suitable.

Not having electronic engine management on the three top model chainsaws form two of the biggest manufacturers in the World raises more questions that it answers for many.

Im thinking the reason why there is not auto tune on the three larger saw,Stihl,Husky is there are the most populer with the pro tree fallers ect and they wont the old type saws.
I bet the 661 will have the M Tronic and non M Tronic versoins.

Have a look see at the TS500i and the FS560C

:popcorn:

Back