Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This brochure came with the junk mail yesterday, I would like a 346XP but for $1299 I'll pass.

Gee is that all? I may order half a dozen...

Leasing one looks pretty attractive although you probably have a 70% residual to actually end up owning it!

Last edited:
Or you could get it for $7.82 a week - let's see, that is 3.2 years just for the principal, so it would have to be about a 5 year contract to include the interest - or a measly $2,033 total.

It's not surprising the Chinese saws on ebay do such a roaring trade over here.

Uh oh, you had to mention Chinese Saw didn't you...

Brace yourself ;)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uFMauZgxkdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Look at those wood chips fly - what a saw!! Performance must be close to the modded dolmar/makita I'm guessing...

Look at those wood chips fly - what a saw!! Performance must be close to the modded dolmar/makita I'm guessing...

It's right up there ;) Actually it runs pretty well considering. It was a full Chinese setup. Saw, P&C, bar, and chain. The chain was a bit dull and the wood bloody hard but I didn't realise the chain was a tad sad until I started cutting...

Was going to ask if that was an Oregon bar, but am scared to really find out if they are making them over there also.

Was going to ask if that was an Oregon bar, but am scared to really find out if they are making them over there also.

Um yes they are. And they're bad...

The bars I were sent are definately Oregon copies but aren't blatently labelled as Oregon. They don't wear very well either - I was sent bars from two manufacturers (A and B!) and they're both as bad as one another. Even at about USD$11-14 each for a 20-24" (up to 28") + freight they're simply not worth it. Certainly worth having a look at but the conclusion is that I can confidently say they're crap :D I saw more wear in these bars in 10 tanks than I saw from my GB Pro Tops in the last two years of use - no joke...

Yeah I like it here. Which part of Australia did you see?

Wife and I went up and down the coast from Melbourne to Port Douglas. Stayed with wife's friend in Sydney. The train ride up the coast and the sailboat cruise of the Great Barrier Reef was the best part. Wanted to go up to Darwin and see the outback but not enough time.

Um yes they are. And they're bad...

The bars I were sent are definately Oregon copies but aren't blatently labelled as Oregon. They don't wear very well either - I was sent bars from two manufacturers (A and B!) and they're both as bad as one another. Even at about USD$11-14 each for a 20-24" (up to 28") + freight they're simply not worth it. Certainly worth having a look at but the conclusion is that I can confidently say they're crap :D I saw more wear in these bars in 10 tanks than I saw from my GB Pro Tops in the last two years of use - no joke...

Yes, unless the top of the line Oregon stays where the cheaper Oregon lines were years ago, I'll be through with them also. Have a couple look alikes I'm running here, early results are no good.:(

Tested my 272XP CS2CS build...put a few tanks thru it noodling Oak and hard maple. Ran good, nice brown plug. Think I dried out the clutch bearing..started squealing and I dumped some bar oil behind the sprocket and it shut up..other than that...four tanks of hard work!

179152d1302210181-4-7noodles-jpg

Back out again yesterday and today cutting stumps (and tomorrow and Tuesday). Ran the Dolmar 7900 yesterday and alas, same issue with crap getting through the filter. Despite looking VERY hard I cannot see any damage to the filter material but somewhere there must be a split in the element letting garbage through. Not as bad as last time but the Dolmar was retired for today as I cut up my spare Dolmar filter adapting it for the 390XP/XPG! I won't run it again until I have a new filter for it.

090420111082.jpg

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's wondered this but how do saws know to always run out of fuel with basically one cut left? This was the last stump in this run when it ran out. Happens all the time!

090420111081.jpg

One thing I have been doing the last few days is using the 200T to trim up some of the stumps making it easier to cut them off with the bigger saws. I've thrown 4 chains in the last two days trying to simply plunge longer bars into the overgrown mess hoping to find the stump! I had this happen yesterday to the 390XP with 24" Pro Top and the chain was tight. Still has me puzzled and I had to loosen the bar/chain to get it out...

090420111080.jpg

One thing that never ceases to amaze me with this 200T is just how much work you can get done on one tank. It's honestly like a Ferrari with Prius economy. They are an unbelievable little saw these things and I hope to give it a couple of brothers prior to the MS201T's arrival...

090420111084.jpg

There is a hell of a lot of cuts here considering it was all done on one tank of fuel...

090420111085.jpg

090420111086.jpg

And this is why I've also been hesitant to just jam a bar in the mess and start cutting. This pile of sand on the stump would have ruined the chain near instantly...

100420111089.jpg

Last edited:
With both the 7900 and 390XP the last few days I've been mainly running a 32" Pro Top with Carlton A3-EP semi chisel skip and 8 pin rim. Both saws pulled it fine although after the 7900's demise yesterday I did drop the rakers a tad last night in anticipation of running it solely on the 390. Despite the worked over top end on the Dolmar with pop up and 200psi compression the difference in power between the 7900 and the modded 390XP is certainly noticable. This 7900 is certainly no slouch though and has plenty of torque, it's just that the XP has more. As I've mentioned before paper specs are only one part of the puzzle. As far as I'm concerned despite being heavier on paper the 390XP's are just as easy to throw around all day as the 7900's.

100420111088.jpg

And while cutting a stump I noticed this little fella running around. He was pretty calm considering. It was only when I picked him up I realised his back half was paralysed. Despite that he was pretty mobile and looks like he is in good condition. This guy is a baby "Bearded Dragon" common to our area. They grow to maybe 20" long at most. Like me he loved the 390 :D

100420111091.jpg

100420111090.jpg

(Shameless Husqvarna 390XP plug)...

100420111092.jpg

100420111093.jpg

Still haven't made much of a dent in it and although quite boring I am actually enjoying the workout. Using the 200T to trim the stumps has not only made it physically easier but has also made the whole process far more efficient. Prior to the 200T it was actually quite stressful on the arms wielding a larger saw around to just cut small twigs/brush.

Lookin' good, matt!

I'd love to grab a 200t one day, even for ground work. (Yes, the tophandle. Yes, on the ground.)

Lookin' good, matt!

I'd love to grab a 200t one day, even for ground work. (Yes, the tophandle. Yes, on the ground.)

WHAT??? A 200T FOR GROUND WORK??? THAT'S CRAZY TALK - YOU'LL KILL YOURSELF!!!

One thing you do have to be careful of though (and this is why most injuries occur to the left forearm/hand with TH saws) is that it's easy to just reach in front of a running chain with the left hand to pull a stick/branch out the way. The more you do it the more blasé you can become. All the talk of injuries from kickback with these saws is utter BS, it's sticking your hand in the way that does the damage.

Seriously though they are awesome little saws in a tree or on the ground. I can see why many guys have given up on modding them, they're an angry little hotrod straight from the factory. I want to get a couple more and just leave them in the cupboard in their box - hopefully they'll breed.

Last edited:
WHAT??? A 200T FOR GROUND WORK??? THAT'S CRAZY TALK - YOU'LL KILL YOURSELF!!!

One thing you do have to be careful of though (and this is why most injuries occur to the left forearm/hand with TH saws) is that it's easy to just reach in front of a running chain with the left hand to pull a stick/branch out the way. The more you do it the more blasé you can become. All the talk of injuries from kickback with these saws is utter BS, it's sticking your hand in the way that does the damage.

Seriously though they are awesome little saws in a tree or on the ground. I can see why many guys have given up on modding them, they're an angry little hotrod straight from the factory. I want to get a couple more and just leave them in the cupboard in their box - hopefully they'll breed.

I wouldn't say its utter BS Matt. It's happened, a member here a few years back took one right across the face, he survived but severely injured and I think many years to recover, and he'll never be the same again. The picture he posted was absolutely sickening. The problem like you say is its easy to let go from the front handle, and then if you do have kickback its very hard to control with just your right hand, and also your chain brake wont function like it should without your hand there to trip it.

Back