Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, it's a big place. There's only something like 200 square miles difference between the continental United States and the continent of Australia. There's more people in the Los Angeles basin than in all of Oz.

As you noticed, a lot of immigrants from diverse places around the world. Just about every country town has a Chinese restaurant, although our little village has a Thai restaurant. In Sydney, I've eaten everything from spicy African and South American dishes to stodgy Russian fare.

Merry Christmas everybody and sorry for the late response. Been away at the outlaw's farm for the chrissy break with no internet access. Shot a few bunnies, roos, and foxes. I did cut up a windblown pine with the 7900 and 241C but really nothing to rave about. All done in about 10 minutes. Just had to cut it small enough for the father in law to shift with the tractor.
Nailed one stupid fox with a 100gn Ballistic Tip from the Tikka T3 .25/06 that pretty well gutted the poor buggar. That was the only hunting photo I got and a bit too gory to post. Rabbits still in plague proportions down there but was pretty warm and windy so the rabbits were holed up most of the day and extremely jumpy. Last time I was down there I nailed about 120 and they were as dumb as dog sh*t. I think I got maybe 30 this time.
I tried those new Winchester Powerpoint .22LR hollow points in 42 grain. No different to the 40 grainers apart from being more expensive...

Pretty hot here over the New Year's break...

Renmark weather forecast, Bureau of Meteorology Warnings & rainfall

We've had temperatures here from -11°C to 48°C in the last few years. I remember playing cricket in 48°C about 15 years ago before they stopped playing sport above 36°C. Most lame arsed decision I've ever seen and turning society and the young ones into soft co*ks. Hot dry heat doesn't worry me. Give me 48°C and 20% humidity anyday over 35°C and 90% humidity ;)

Some interesting piccys for you guys.

This is what -11°C does to orange trees :( This was 5 years ago now...

DSCN1931.jpg

(The ice was actually caused by overhead irrigation. Less damage is caused to trees and fruit if covered in ice funnily enough as water only freezes to around 0°C. Damage to fruit only starts at -2°C. The extra weight of the ice quite often snaps limbs...)

About 5 weeks after...

DSCN1963.jpg

And about 13 weeks later. These trees still have not fully recovered 5 years later...

DSCN1998.jpg

DSCN1997.jpg

Glad to see you back Matt, we kept your thread warm while you were away.

Thanks Terry :cheers: How's that Chinasaw going? Got it pulling 20HP yet?

Oh and a few more piccys...

A photo of the back of my work ute with I think 29 cartons at this stage of Crown Lager as a chrissy present for my clients at work. There were 38 to start with. One guy was nice enough to bring his carton back as none of his family drinks. We were happy to stick a carton of Crownies in the fridge for our own consumption :)

211220111918.jpg

I also managed a pretty tight group with my fiancee's cousin's kid's NERF gun. Pretty good 6 shot group for 4 metres offhand :D

251220111943.jpg

251220111944.jpg

Needless to say the 5 year old owner of the gun thinks I'm an absolute shooting legend now...

Last edited:
my place is nerf gun central

I need to get some pics or video

These are the ones corbin has

imgres

6rjc1

nerf-n-strike-vulcan.jpg

ip053053.jpg

nerf_recon_cf6_parts.jpg

Two of these

AAAAAl568gMAAAAAAIYCHg.jpg

and some others

[video=youtube;Z6pYHd777-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6pYHd777-g&feature=related[/video]

battery must be flat in that video shoots 180 RPM but can be modded to 500RPM and from 25 rounds to 100 rounds

Last edited:
Widowmaker, I figured I would run in to a fellow Boar man in this thread sooner or later. I think there is one or two in oz LOL! German shepards are great dog's. Merry xmas to you also Matt, it's been awhile nice picture's! Weird the ice on the tree's. The nerf gun is good stuff, I used to shoot those, to, funny even though not a real gun, I found they can still hone a guy's shooting skill's, and serve as practice.

Will, Parissw linked me one of the posts page 46 with the spiders, and no thanks! But speaking of today's job how are we my brothers? Been almost a month, and way too long without checking in, and saying hello!

Will, Parissw linked me one of the posts page 46 with the spiders, and no thanks! But speaking of today's job how are we my brothers? Been almost a month, and way too long without checking in, and saying hello!

Hi Norm.
Hey all well here mate. My day job has slowed down heaps but now we are in the guts of Summer and running between 36°C and 45° so too hot to really run the saws much. I've also got my first kidlet due in about 4 months so really need to get some work done on the house. Over the last few years I've been working that many weekends that I haven't had time to do things around the place that I should have.
Hope all well at your end too Norm and I haven't forgotten about this thread, I just haven't had anything to contribute :(
I may even go through my videos sometime soon and upload a few that nobody has seen before.
:cheers:

"I may even go through my videos sometime soon and upload a few that nobody has seen before."

Good stuff, always wanted to see that video of you in the chicken suit at the buck's night.

"I may even go through my videos sometime soon and upload a few that nobody has seen before."

Good stuff, always wanted to see that video of you in the chicken suit at the buck's night.

Dammm He has not loaded that one up to You tube yet or photobucket, Tell me more!

Just a quick one guys on felling insurance out of interest. With my previous job felling those Casuarinas the company's insurance covered me. Now that the job is nearly done, I've been asked to take on a few more windbreak jobs alongside powerlines with no real urgency for private properties. I'm going to try and get a fair bit of it done when it cools down. It won't be necessarily difficult but if something does happen to go wrong I'd rather not have a $15,000 bill from the electricity trust.
My work is associated with WFI Insurance but unfortunately they offer no felling insurance of any kind. I chased up a whole heap of providers with no luck. Anyway, a mate in NSW has a policy from Elders (now QBE) that he has had for years. I got his policy number and went to the local Elder's Insurance agent who had a confused look on his face. Turns out that a policy such as my mate's has long gone (probably why my mate's insurance agent told him to never, ever let it lapse!). My mate has NO qualifications at all.
Well after about 10 minutes he found the type of felling insurance I asked about which was excellent. Except it only covers me to 3.5 metres!!! Wow. Awesome. Anyway I told him I actually have felling qualifications if that helped so he took a copy of my card (little plastic card from LITA). I also told him that 3.5 metres of coverage is basically useless for anybody. As far as I remember that policy is more aimed at just gardening contractors who prune the odd tree. He made a few more phone calls up the chain and a few days later they've magically endorsed my policy to 40 metres :D
$1275 a year with a $500 excess. I was actually quite surprised but I still have a few other things to talk to the guy about when he gets back from holidays in a few weeks - he said there are a few "clauses" and I don't think he means Santa Clause. If you're a qualified arborist or operating out of just a bucket truck it's quite easy to get insurance, ground felling in a domestic situation apparently not.

Last edited:
hey matt ran into the felling instructors no probs for advanced ticket got more BIG trees than they no what to do with

hey matt ran into the felling instructors no probs for advanced ticket got more BIG trees than they no what to do with

Yeah thanks mate. I missed one with forestry guys in the Adelaide Hills early December when I was on Hamilton Island. The training mob are getting more and more access into forestry blocks now so easier to run advanced courses.

Sounds like a hefty premium Matt??? Can claim it i spose! I've learnt that it's best to go with a company that recognises your industry otherwise it's too risky.

I don't think it's too bad mate. That's $10 million of cover. It seems pretty hard to find somebody who not so much recognises the industry but recognises ground felling. Not one guy in the local tree crews has any qualifications outside of a bucket truck. I think it's a basic pruning and lopping certificate or something. I just have to make sure that all my i's are dotted and my t's are crossed :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back