Today's Stupid Adventure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhatte

It's The Water
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My Husky 2100 died awhile back due to the usual coil failure that plagues them. No problem, sourced a believed-good coil and flywheel (thanks Paccity!) but ran into trouble when the old flywheel wouldn't come off. Here are the normal things I tried: whack the flywheel end of the shaft, whack the clutch end of the shaft, Kroil, heat, cold, harmonic balancer puller, all to no avail. So, I made this puller:

a3691989ec8cf5a13554c08eb3ccc49a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Can't edit from the phone, sorry.

Adventure continues.

Puller originally had smaller holes. More on that in a bit. Tightened it up... and it ripped the threads right out of the holes. Huh. That's messed up.

I scratched my head a bit before doing the unthinkable: I cut the flywheel apart with a 1 1/2 inch dremel cutoff wheel. I cut the aluminum away from the steel inserted into the center as part of the casting. This exposed more, larger holes in the steel center hub used to anchor the aluminum. I punched 3 out, threaded the steel, redrilled the puller to take the larger bolts, and again pulled the threads clean out of the hub.

This thing was not letting go.

I managed to get the aluminum cut free of the steel. Now I could see the offending coil. In order to hook a balancer puller over the lip of the hub, I smashed the coil to bits with a cold chisel. After many tries, I got a puller to hold well enough to break the hub free. Behold, the carnage.

1420c34f5fe44c33487355395481a372.jpg
fe0412cc03b39ad7c66c16a121e5009d.jpg
af2feb085f85da4e1e174d931a4b9d1e.jpg
12c4535a8c855037cc60e574022ef880.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

after seeing that carnage, you find another flywheel????? wowsa!!!!

I already have a matched coil and flywheel; wouldn't have used the nuclear option otherwise.

Nate, if I ever find myself on a fire in your neck of the woods I will now have to tell everyone around to keep you well away from my gear.

aw now

And thanks again for the Mini Mac, it will occupy a place of honor when I start moving saws into my museum early next year.

I am pleased to have contributed to your fantastic collection!

I have found myself using this a lot the older I have gotten. Crazy how tight these things can get and how far down the rabbit hole we sometimes have to go. Good job getting her off.

Attachments

• images(2).jpg
    images(2).jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 25
Dude! The Navy let you work on nuclear reactors?!

It was Mutually Assured Cantankerousness. They paid me to work just good enough, and I worked just good enough to get paid. We all worked to a budget. Them to dollars, me to patience.

As long as you didn't tear up any threads.

So far, so good. Precautions were taken, more or less. The frozen Woodruff key worries me more than the threads.

I have found myself using this a lot the older I have gotten. Crazy how tight these things can get and how far down the rabbit hole we sometimes have to go. Good job getting her off.

The good stuff!

Latest posts

Back