Too many Wood stoves??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I live in a ~1850 sq ft Ranch house; I have an insert in the living room which is at one end of the house and a woodstove in the basement that is in about the middle of the house. I am thinking about adding another woodstove to the finished part of the basement. My current setup keeps my house pretty warm but on those very cold nights I need to fire up another heat source which may include my forced hot air oil burning furnace. I had been researching a wood furnace but came to the realization that I would either have to lose the finished part of the basement or spend 15K on rearranging the ducts, chimneys and furnace.
My question is has anyone experienced or heard of anyone having an issue with having 3 or more wood burning systems in one house?

My question is has anyone experienced or heard of anyone having an issue with having 3 or more wood burning systems in one house?

well, it'll sure keep you busy if nothing else.

I live in a ~1850 sq ft Ranch house; I have an insert in the living room which is at one end of the house and a woodstove in the basement that is in about the middle of the house. I am thinking about adding another woodstove to the finished part of the basement. My current setup keeps my house pretty warm but on those very cold nights I need to fire up another heat source which may include my forced hot air oil burning furnace. I had been researching a wood furnace but came to the realization that I would either have to lose the finished part of the basement or spend 15K on rearranging the ducts, chimneys and furnace.

We don't know details about your current setup but assuming a medium sized stove in the basement, how about upsizing that to something like one of these 3+ cubic foot monsters:

http://overstockstoves.com/50nowomo2sqf.html

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100291302

(second one same as the top stove)
or

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316353_200316353

These same stoves might be for sale locally. Check for Englander stoves and Drolet.

I have two woodburners (one in the basement) and it's a lot of work keeping them both well-fed. I can't imagine having three when two might suffice.

MarkG

[
My question is has anyone experienced or heard of anyone having an issue with having 3 or more wood burning systems in one house?[/QUOTE]

I think 3 or more woodstoves requires a full time stoker in Washington State.:hmm3grin2orange:

The one in the basement is a Vermont casting Defiant it is pretty big and can give me a 10 hour burn but there are a lot walls between it and the finished part of the basement.

Cheaper way to go might be adding another layer of insulation in your attic area or blow it in. Check that first

Man, thts gotta be alot of work. I ve got two of em going and thats enough for me, Good luck to you, I hope you have a big wood pile

Latest posts

Back