Too much compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I tried it on my 290. Took several pics but it says their to large to upload I will have my wife figure that out later. Anyway the rope was frayed so I pulled hard on it and it actually broke on its own and coiled inside . Took off the recoil and fed the end through the eye hole and reatached.leaving 6 inches of extra hanging above the handle. So I shortened it about 12 to 14 inches. So I give it a try . Easier to pull. But knowing you only have a foot of rope you have to pull gentler. And doing this makes releasing the initial compression a bit harder. All you nae sayers look at the spool size and gear size on winches tell me you need big gears for leverage. The concept most of you are missing is acceleration !!!!!!

I think acelleration is a moot point because the guy doesnt have enough leverage/torque to make it past the compression stroke! After all, it takes torque to turn the engine over and you have more of it when you have a rope wrapped around a larger pulley.

I think im done with this post, you are contridicting simple laws of mechanics. This really is to simple to argue about.

Get a yo yo play with it for a while then cut half the string off
Plain and simple. with more rope on the starter it get farther away from the crank giving better leverage. For those that don't believe take the starter off and try turning it over by the center nut, then by the outside of the flywheel. More rope gets closer to the outside of the flywheel. Steve
This would be true if you had a crank starter on It and the further you get from the crank the slower it turns over

Yes, with the taller gearing of less rope on the pulley, you get more acceleration, IF you exert the higher energy required to do so. Look at it like this. With more rope on the pulley, it must be pulled out farther for 1 revolution of the crank. That's lower gearing for you. As already stated, this is simple physics.

Yes, with the taller gearing of less rope on the pulley, you get more acceleration, IF you exert the higher energy required to do so. Look at it like this. With more rope on the pulley, it must be pulled out farther for 1 revolution of the crank. That's lower gearing for you. As already stated, this is simple physics.
but the faster the crank turns the easier the engine turns over. pull the rope slow its not easy. there is a lot more going on here than big gear and little gear.
acceleration, speed, and inertia, and momentum have a lot more to do with starting an engine than gearing. and if you think you have an advantage with the coiled up rope. you would lose it after the rope is a foot out and it would get harder to turn. and the simple physics everyone is talking about may apply to turning a coffe grinder, but not starting and engine. look up inertia, acceleration,momentum,and speed. a lot of close minded people on here.

...if you think you have an advantage with the coiled up rope. you would lose it after the rope is a foot out and it would get harder to turn.
That is ONLY because you then have momentum on your side, and the initial acceleration required much less effort.

Do you think you could turn over a high compression diesel engine with a 3" wheel on the crank? How about with a 36" wheel?

try thinking about it like a five speed manual shift car. a saw fully wound and three feet of rope. For every 8 inches of rope you pull out it looses a gear. first 8 inches of rope first gear, next 8 inches second gear ans so on. if you pulled 24 inches of rope off and try to start it it may work, just like starting your car in third gear. if you have the power it works, but if not you will kill the motor or( the guy starting the saw). as you pull the rope it is getting harder and harder to turn the motor over the closer you get to the center of the crank.
Hope you guys can fallow my logic??

You Already have the mechanical advantage from the size of the starter pulley . Now you need an acceleration advantage. If you were to put an extra 16 inches of rope on you probably would not be able to start the saw at all. It would turn over but not fast enough.

You say the stihl starts easy? If that is the case I think your best bet would be to turn it into a pony motor for the real wood cutting saw, the husky. Bam, problem solved!

but the faster the crank turns the easier the engine turns over. pull the rope slow its not easy. there is a lot more going on here than big gear and little gear.
acceleration, speed, and inertia, and momentum have a lot more to do with starting an engine than gearing. and if you think you have an advantage with the coiled up rope. you would lose it after the rope is a foot out and it would get harder to turn. and the simple physics everyone is talking about may apply to turning a coffe grinder, but not starting and engine. look up inertia, acceleration,momentum,and speed. a lot of close minded people on here.

*Face to palm*

You Already have the mechanical advantage from the size of the starter pulley . Now you need an acceleration advantage. If you were to put an extra 16 inches of rope on you probably would not be able to start the saw at all. It would turn over but not fast enough.
You've changed your explanation how many times......???
If you can't decide yourself what law of physics to challange, how can you expect anyone that knows you are wrong to change their view.

Double Face Palm.......
When a Single Face Palm isn't enough........

The folks are trying to explain. Trying to help.
Listen instead of thinking what you are going to say next.

How big a saw do you regularly start??

*Face to palm*
You've changed your explanation how many times......
If you can't decide yourself how can you expect anyone that knows you are wrong to change their view.

Double Face Palm.......
When a Single Face Palm isn't enough........

The folks are trying to explain. Trying to help.
Listen instead of thinking what you are going to say next.
Why their wrong

Amazing thread! If you can't pull it you just can't pull it and you sure can't push start it so use the Stihl.

I once had a 55 rancher, it too cranked hard. Stock saw it broke the starter housing. I replaced the whole housing, and had to add a de compression valve to the cylinder. Not too difficult, the hole was already there. I drilled thru the cylinder a small hole, tapped the existing spot on the out side of the cylinder to accept decompression valve.

Last edited:
Back