Took the week old ms361 in for repairs seems the oil pump is defective

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hope the dealer understands that means a new pump bar and chain should make it right.

Still a loss on my side for the defect could be a week or more dealer has to order oil pump in the meantime they loaned me a farmboss, Hmmm not impressed at all, for felling of any kind the 361 is the least I would use, now I’m stuck with the ssobmraf, I mean farmboss.

To be honest I’m now disgusted with new chainsaws from husky and Stihl, thinking old MAC and a rebuild is the only way to go…….

:bang:

tell me more about this defective oiler issue please. boss bought me a 361 at work and i am not sure if she likes oiling too much either. i am keeping an eye on it.

Hmm yesterday was cutting a nice ash, 16” or so,

As I was cutting the back cut I felt some vibration this is out of line but too late to stop, so I fell the tree and looked at the chain and see it was a bit loose looked dry, I opened the oil tank it was full. I tightened the chain and with my little squeeze bottle I coated the channel and top of the chain ran the saw at medium speed sounded smooth and felt smooth.
Then I went to cut the crown of the tree and limb it the chain started making noise again hmmmm looked again it was dry. Tightened it up again ran at full speed it gave me a light line of oil on the stump hmmmmm not enough I thought, I cabled the tree past the tree line (into the clearing makes it easier to limb, started to limb and the chain seized that put an end to my day.

Took it to the dealer today they told me it was getting enough oil I said noop he said yep, he check the oil level and cleaned the bar and oil ways then took the saw out to a 3 foot oak round started cutting did fine for the first cut went to the 2nd the saw had a loose chain and only cut 6” or so looked at the chain it was dry as a bone and burnt black, the bar was too hot to touch. I might add the chain was sharp as a razor after the second cut it was dull.

Filled a farmboss with oil and gas set the oil to full discharge wound the saw up big spats of oil on the ground repair guy said yep that’s lots of oil your saw needs a pump.

Got home fired-up the farmboss started cutting and big disappointment stopped cutting. Not looking forward to tomorrow more ash to cut.

I may pull out the old MAC it’s always been a dependable saw with plenty of power.

Last edited:
My MS260 is the same way. I've cut less than a cord with it since I bought it(a year ago). It is a boat anchor. I'll stick with my trusty ol 51 for the almond.

ohhh my....please don't speak any evil about the almighty one..

All the newer stihls are skimpy on the oil side....they don't like to give it up. They put out the minimum required to get the job done without poluting the environment without extra oil slingoff

Come on now, I just ran a 460 today with a 36 inch bar. Very nice saw had lots of power. But the 290 is not THAT bad. But it is the biggest saw I have right now.:bang:

I think I will take my mac down

when I get the call and if the ol boy beat the Stihl I will be very disappointed and I bet the Stihl dealer will be as well.

the oilier adjustment looks like
oiler.JPG

this may give it a bit more without dropping the plunger

I thought I remembered lakeside saying that the 044/440 wrap oiler (h/o) fit the 361.. It doesn't work on my 360, though...guess I'm stuck with minimal oiling until I get rid of it.

The 460's high output AND standard oiler parts work in a 361. You can either get the whole oiler assembly or just replace the piston and control bolt in the 361.

Latest posts

Back