Tool choice to ID safe anchor.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
Since your life virtually depends on a safe anchor, what are you folks choosing to ID or inspect the limb of choice up in a tree. Especially if it's a first climb?

I know some folks have eyes like eagles.

Anyone carry binoculars? Spotting scope?

Do you even just climb trees that have been recommended and climbed before?

Seems that this might matter more on taller single stem trees.

Tool Choice

there is only one true way, well two!!

aerial lift or climbing gear........with out a true hands on & up close view there is no scope or binocs gonna provide the info needed to determine a safe anchor!!

If its a first time climb or the 10th time it makes no difference, the person going aloft must determine what is/is not safe, experience is the best weapon one could have!!

LXT................

I carry binoculars to try to see the TIP before I start going up, but sometimes a clear view isn't available. One thing I've tried doing is this: go up maybe 8 feet and then release the friction hitch A LOT to try to drop down about 3 or 4 feet. Then, just as fast, let go of the hitch all at once. The idea is to put a mini-shock load on the TIP to see what happens. So far, I've never broken anything so I don't what, if anything, I am accomplishing with this. I may even be weakening the tie-in point!

The main thing I do is to try to lanyard into the stem as soon as possible so that if the TIP fails, hopefully my lanyard will catch me.

I pay more attention to getting the rope to go around the
trunk so if the branch did snap you will only slide down to
the next! Sometimes I will use my pruner set rope to get into
the tree buck in set a little higher buck in and again higher
until I reach my destiny! If it is real brushy this seams to
be faster and better than a throwball !

Since I'm a rec climber who goes in the woods, 99.9% of the trees I go up have never been climbed before. I like it that way.

Here's how I approach assessing the TIP, it's all about looking at the big picture as well as the details. Nothing's perfect but it's possible to narrow down the risk quite a bit. I'm no daredeveil. Every time I climb up on the first ascent of a TIP there's something something new to learn about tree health and structure.

1. Tree assessment = top to bottom inspection: roots and ground, bole, up to the crown, up to the tip top.
2. Bear in mind the species, for example red oaks are pretty much always screwed up in one way or the other etc., learn the pitfalls for each species and different age trees.
3. Use binoculars to assess the TIP and generally inspect the upper crown
4. Don't tie in somewhere stupid like 2/3 'rds out on a branch from the crotch or stem etc.
5. Bounce test: footlock on doubled rope without being tied-in (allows you a chance to escape if you bust out the TIP during the test), give a couple or more good bounces.
6. Use a smooth climbing motion, there's no rush rec climbing. No need to shock load the TIP on every pull as you climb up.
6. Climb directly to the TIP and inspect the rope placement and branch before making any further moves in the tree.

-moss

Last edited:
One thing I've tried doing is this: go up maybe 8 feet and then release the friction hitch A LOT to try to drop down about 3 or 4 feet. Then, just as fast, let go of the hitch all at once. The idea is to put a mini-shock load on the TIP to see what happens. So far, I've never broken anything so I don't what, if anything, I am accomplishing with this. I may even be weakening the tie-in point!

The bounce test in itself is not definitive, it's just one point of information in the overall assessment. If you've done a good job assessing the whole tree and TIP the bounce test is giving additional assurance that the TIP is good. If you do an effective bounce test you will be shocking the TIP much more than you would with your climbing motion. You've put the TIP through a worst case scenario so your climbing load should be much less. If you weaken the TIP during the bounce test you will hear cracking noises.
-moss

Hmmmmmmm I just don't get it, and I don't want to sound
mean but recreational climbing? I have climbed over twenty
years and only the first few seem anything like recreation!
I some times wander what people doing rec climbing do for
a living, of course my living takes up most of my time, or
maybe a hobby could I have! I am actually jealous of the
people that seem to only have fun, and some; you can look
into there eyes and shake their hands and tell they have not
once, had to struggle to make a living! It may not be the case
in rec climbing but some people seem to have too much time
to enjoy.

to enjoy.

I work my ass off for a living, til 2:00 this morning on a weekend for instance, unfortunately I have to sit in a chair to do it. My whole life has been a struggle (like most humans). I've done the nastiest physical labor, I could go on but I don't want to bore you. But it doesn't stop me from having a smile on my face and enjoying life.

Rec climbing is the perfect physical challenge and outlet. What I call fun is not fun to many people, that's why there are not a lot of dedicated rec climbers. My climbing buddy and I came out of a swamp on Saturday after climbing and bushwacking for 6 hours. I almost fell over laughing because he looked like he'd just slid down a mountain on his head and landed in a mud bath, not to mention that his clothes were shredded. But... we had a great time, did some very challenging stuff. True adventure is not that easy to come by in our civilized world.

Recreational tree climbing is probably a bad description, non-professional tree climbing is more accurate. The rec climber can take it easy or challenge themselves, as you know any tree climb can be made into a challenge or can unexpectedly become a challenge. That's part of what makes it so good.
-moss

Last edited:
I work my ass off for a living, til 2:00 this morning on a weekend for instance, unfortunately I have to sit in a chair to do it. My whole life has been a struggle (like most humans). I've done the nastiest physical labor, I could go on but I don't want to bore you. But it doesn't stop me from having a smile on my face and enjoying life.
-moss

Nicely put, moss! I am quite sure I wouldn't have been as nice about it...

to enjoy.

I have to agree, I have met many Rec. Climbers who have office jobs & some who dont!! however & no disrespect meant..... they do it for the rush, fun, adventure, etc... so when it gets a little harry up there for them they come down....no incentive....$$$, It gets harry for us, we suck it up & do it & I do it for the money!! when I was younger I did it for fun.....21yrs later its still fun but its still a job!!

What I find offensive is Rec. Climbers who give trimming advice!! to me its different if you`re a trimmer Rec. Climbing, but vice versa doesnt cut it for me! not all of you!! but some who think because they spent 6 hrs in the bush on a Saturday & do this often are in some ways an experienced & knowledgeable climber/trimmer. I know that myself & others have more time in 1 week & trees climbed than what most Rec Climbers do in months!!!

I dont begrudge anyone having fun!! by all means do so, but be careful on the advice you dish out you would be lucky to be a 1st rate apprentice for a tree company!!

be safe take care

LXT...............

I dont begrudge anyone having fun!! by all means do so, but be careful on the advice you dish out you would be lucky to be a 1st rate apprentice for a tree company!!

I give advice on the rec forum. If I post outside of the rec forum it's because the subject is related to something I have experience with. Nothing worst than a wannabe arborist rec climber. All respect due to climber's who do it every day for a living.

Judge my advice at face value, if you disagree tell me why, this all about learning.

Ok all you pro climber's, get over it, we know you're great climbers.
-moss

I give advice on the rec forum. If I post outside of the rec forum it's because the subject is related to something I have experience with. Nothing worst than a wannabe arborist rec climber. All respect due to climber's who do it every day for a living.

Judge my advice at face value, if you disagree tell me why, this all about learning.

-moss

Moss, not aimed directly at you I was just given some experiences Ive had, I know alot of rec. climbers.......most all are genuinely good people & not bad at climbing, Heck when Im your age I hope I can still get outta bed!! so for you to be out & up in the trees..........I respect ya!

Just kinda getting a feel for where you`re coming from, no disrespect intended.

LXT................

Moss, not aimed directly at you I was just given some experiences Ive had, I know alot of rec. climbers.......most all are genuinely good people & not bad at climbing, Heck when Im your age I hope I can still get outta bed!! so for you to be out & up in the trees..........I respect ya!

Just kinda getting a feel for where you`re coming from, no disrespect intended.

LXT................

No prob, I was just fielding it for the rec climbers. It's a touchy subject, one person is playing, the other is working, big difference. But since this is a rec forum I'm going to participate. I am an old fossil, 52 years old, been climbing for only 3 years and I'm passionate about climbing. My best climbing partner is more than half my age, I can keep up with him more or less. Sometimes I leave him in the dust. Either way we don't care just as long as we make some good climbs.

Tree entry practice the old fashioned way, gets the muscles pumped and the mind in focus. Getting warmed up for a long SRT ascent on a cool day:

2257984187_bd487f9ba0.jpg

2257988843_4ff0d6866d.jpg

-moss

Hey lets beat up rope while he is gone lol, I never intended it to
be offensive just stated I did not understand it. I am sorry if you
took offense and it was not directed at you personally.

2. Bear in mind the species, for example red oaks are pretty much always screwed up in one way or the other etc., learn the pitfalls for each species and different age trees.

Moss, in what way have you found red oaks to be screwed up? I am curious because I have found them to be one of nicer trees to climb; sturdy and strong branches. The worst thing I can say about them is that they can hide rot problems well but I see significant dieback before it is too dangerous (IMO). They also seem to have more dead limbs than others. Not alot or major ones, but they always seem to have some.

Tulip poplars on the other hand..... I can't wait until I get out of them.

Moss, in what way have you found red oaks to be screwed up? I am curious because I have found them to be one of nicer trees to climb; sturdy and strong branches. The worst thing I can say about them is that they can hide rot problems well but I see significant dieback before it is too dangerous (IMO). They also seem to have more dead limbs than others. Not alot or major ones, but they always seem to have some.

Now why would you itch to get out of a poplar :hmm3grin2orange:
I wander if they called it that because it pops :laugh:

-moss

LOL good for you moss. Always a class act. I for one would take you over many a "pro" climber any day.

That was off the cuff of me to slag an entire species like that. I climb mostly in woods and in Eastern Massachusetts a red oak in the woods is likely to have all kinds of problems. I climb them all the time but they have to be approached with caution. Ditto on the "hidden" heart rot problem. A good eye sees it, a no brainer for an experienced arborist but not obvious to everyone else.

We don't have enough tulip poplars around for me to have good experience with them. I've climbed a massive one down south that was solid but many of the tulips around here look like kind of busted up. Eastern Cottonwood is the one that makes me nervous.
-moss

LOL good for you moss. Always a class act. I for one would take you over many a "pro" climber any day.

Thanks. What the h*ll we're all in the same boat if we climb trees. I just climb slower than pros most of the time, well not exactly now that a Pantin has become fused to my foot. I'm becoming a little retarded because all I'm climbing are conifers lately, have to get back into some hardwoods soon.

Hey what happened to the main topic?

So what's the deal? Judging the TIP is all about assessing the whole tree, then the TIP, then do a final bounce test before you start climbing. On big conifers there's a good chance you won't be able to see the TIP so you do SRT entry with a trunk anchored static rope and make sure the rope is over several sturdy branches in case the primary TIP blows out. Anything else?
-moss

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back