Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.5 Ton Chain Puller/Hoist

Stopped into the scrapyard yesterday to see if they had any saws or an engine for my car by chance. No dice on either of those counts. But I picked up a little 1.5 ton chain hoist for all of $5. Took a chance on it. Got it home and it works fine! The ratchet on the forward direction was a bit sticky, but a bit of Releasall and oil and it's good to go!

attachment.php

Been needing one of these for a LOT of things, not the least of which is moving logs around in the bush and yard! There was also a huge 6-ton chain hoist at the scrap which I may go back tomorrow and look at. It was in worse condition though, I couldn't even get the ratchet release lever to move. But it still might be worth a shot for another 5-10 bucks.

Stopped into the scrapyard yesterday to see if they had any saws or an engine for my car by chance. No dice on either of those counts. But I picked up a little 1.5 ton chain hoist for all of $5. Took a chance on it. Got it home and it works fine! The ratchet on the forward direction was a bit sticky, but a bit of Releasall and oil and it's good to go!

attachment.php

Been needing one of these for a LOT of things, not the least of which is moving logs around in the bush and yard! There was also a huge 6-ton chain hoist at the scrap which I may go back tomorrow and look at. It was in worse condition though, I couldn't even get the ratchet release lever to move. But it still might be worth a shot for another 5-10 bucks.

Thats a good hoist, be sure and replace the hook.
I used those every day for 14 years at work, pretty reliable.
And trusty!!!!
The newer oner have an automatic pull limiter built in the handle, it clicks at maximum pull, which doesn't seem like much!!!

Air Compresor

Thanks to you all for contributing on my information gathering on air compressors.The reason I was asking about air hose length for one was that I'm going to need the compressor for a nailer to work on the fence this year,and apparently you can not use an extension cord on the air compressor,so that limits me.Maybe I should get two
25 footers and just hook them together when I need a longer reach.Also the compressor is 15 amp so can I use it on 15 amp circuit as long as there is nothing else running on that circuit?
Thanks
Lawrence

You should be fine with a 15 amp breaker. The reason 220 volts was suggested is that if you double the voltage, you cut the amperage in half. Your compresser would supposedly only draw 7.5 amps if it was wired 220.

I work at an asphalt plant where everything is 575 volt, three phase. Three phase is much more efficent and it cuts down the amperage, which cuts down on the size of the wire you have to use. Some of our motors draw 135 amps on 575 volts.

The main breaker on our panel is either 800 or 1000 amps, I just forget.

Three phase is not available everywhere however, and is very expensive to install, as was already mentioned.

And no, do not use an extension cord, it will cause a voltage drop and you will be looking for a new motor.:msp_smile:

Lawrence,..I have 3 compressors ,one stationary and 2 mobile. Stationary is plumbed into the shop with 3 air chuck locations. The mobile ones I take out on jobs to run all my air gear. The red rubber hoses with 3/8" ID are the best all around hose no matter what the temp is. I have 2 of them 50' and 2 of them 25'. For the whip or the hose I plug into the framing guns,sheathing staplers, finish nailers etc. that I have to drag around I have a 25' yellow rubber hose that is a little lighter constructed, it stays nice and flexy even at below freezing temps. Air tools like plenty of air flow, CEJN..320 series air fittings are the top of the line for air tools. Their couplers are the finest I have ever worked with and don`t rust when used outdoors.

. . . apparently you can not use an extension cord on the air compressor,so that limits me.Maybe I should get two 25 footers and just hook them together when I need a longer reach.

Right,

You CAN use an extension cord on a portable compressor, but it has to be the right gauge to minimize voltage drop. There is less loss in running a longer hose, up to a reasonable point.

I would pick up a few hoses and a bunch compatible quick connects (Home Depot or Grainger) so you can mix and match, just like a socket set. Stick with at least 3/8"

Maybe a heavier duty rubber 50' for long runs; a shorter, lighter weight hose (I like the urethane hoses - eg: Milton 3/8 x 25' Flex Hose [MF-1624-1] - $29.95 : Seven Corners Hardware, The finest quality tools, accessories, and hardware at the lowest prices) for in shop use; etc. Maybe one of those curly hoses too.

See how they work and if you need/want anything else. Can buy one later, find one at garage sale, etc. Avoid ones that were used for painting and which might put gunk in your air tools (and avoid ones that were used for air tools for painting as they may put oil in your finish!).

You may find symptoms of CAD (Compressor Addiction Disease) and find that you really want a large one (10+ CFM @ 100PSI) for running big tools or painting in the garage/ship, and a smaller, portable one for running nailers, inflating, blowing out chainsaws, etc. in the field.

Philbert

As far as those in line oilers, I don't like them. We had a lot of trouble with them over oiling and gumming up tools. I find it's easier to just put a drop of oil in the tool before you use it.

Too much is almost as bad as not enough.

I noted some spelling and grammatical errors in my last post. Sorry. We get penalized for editing our old posts but credited for adding a follow up comment instead (?). Funny system.

I meant to say 3/8" ID. Sears once sold me a hose that was labeled as 3/8" OD, which really meant 1/4" ID. Same guys that told us their power tools 'develop a million horsepower'.

Also note that there are a few different styles of quick connects - they are not all compatible with each other. Doesn't make that much difference as long as all of yours are. https://www.miltonindustries.com/uploads/Page_36_Milton_Catalog.pdf I think that Home Depot sells 2 of the more polular styles.

Some of the 'female' quick-couplers also have a flat plate on the front to reduce the chance of the outside sleeve being pulled back when dragged across the ground, which results in the male end getting ejected at high pressure. Sometimes called a 'drag guard' (see photo). Nice to have on your longer, extension hoses to avoid surprises.

Philbert

attachment.php

Air compressor

WOW!!!!
This website really has a great bunch of guys on it. Seriously,I'm not trying to brown nose here.It's just too bad we all didn't live a little closer.But like I told Jerry once "You'd never get rid of me!" Kinda like one of those mooching mutts comin around for treats,LOL!
Okay as always super information from all of you!I was looking around online and at some reviews and this Goodyear yellow rubber air hose got some super reviews,apparently a real lengthy warranty,very flexible.Any of you guy's had good luck with online dealers for that sort of stuff,Canada,USA?
Lawrence

3phase is almost next to impossible to get on residential. I know I could not get it, but if you wanted to run 3phase you can use a Rotary Phase converter, I think that's what they call it anyway.

3phase is almost next to impossible to get on residential. I know I could not get it, but if you wanted to run 3phase you can use a Rotary Phase converter, I think that's what they call it anyway.

Yeah, I think that's what they're called Will. But those aren't cheap either and you have to get one big enough to be rated for the starting amps for your electric motors or something.

I forget now, we discussed those at work one time for some reason. You have to really need three phase in order to justify it apparently.

Yeah, I think that's what they're called Will. But those aren't cheap either and you have to get one big enough to be rated for the starting amps for your electric motors or something.

I forget now, we discussed those at work one time for some reason. You have to really need three phase in order to justify it apparently.

Yep. You can find them used for actually a good deal, Ive seen them for not too bad of a price. They work very well for Lathe's, then you can run infinite speeds on them, like my lathe, there is 5 different pulley's you move the belt to the speed you want, so you only have 5 speeds, If I were to convert it to 3 phase, I could run from low to very high in any speed I want.

Yep. You can find them used for actually a good deal, Ive seen them for not too bad of a price. They work very well for Lathe's, then you can run infinite speeds on them, like my lathe, there is 5 different pulley's you move the belt to the speed you want, so you only have 5 speeds, If I were to convert it to 3 phase, I could run from low to very high in any speed I want.

That's cool. I didn't know that.

Yep, its nice. I've never tried it. But that's what I was told, actually by the very missed "Lakeside".

Well, I'm sure he knew what he was talking about. I think we were trying to run a pump that was wired 220 three phase, and it didnt make sense money wise. It was cheaper to buy a new pump than a converter.

I'm no electrician, I just pick it up working around so many electric motors and things.

I like to buy my stuff in person, you got any Industrial parks close by Lawrence? I get most of my air gear,hoses included from Canadian Industrial Distributors or CID as we call them around here. That yellow Goodyear hose is what I have for the lighter hose near the end I have the tool connected to, it pulls around easily, doies not kink and will lay flat even at colder temps.

Well, I'm sure he knew what he was talking about. I think we were trying to run a pump that was wired 220 three phase, and it didnt make sense money wise. It was cheaper to buy a new pump than a converter.

I'm no electrician, I just pick it up working around so many electric motors and things.

Me either. I remember Lake telling me he's found them for around $150 used.

I like to buy my stuff in person, you got any Industrial parks close by Lawrence? I get most of my air gear,hoses included from Canadian Industrial Distributors or CID as we call them around here. That yellow Goodyear hose is what I have for the lighter hose near the end I have the tool connected to, it pulls around easily, doies not kink and will lay flat even at colder temps.

The flexy hose is sure nice. I remember when I bought my compressor, its just a smaller one, he said this hose goes with it, and I thought, man it looks like a crap hose, and I tell ya I was wrong, it wont kink even if I wanted it too, even in the coldest temps it gets around here.

Air compressors

Jerry,I will check those guys out see if they have a place near me.I'm sure they would be somewhere near.
Thanks Again
Lawrence

Back