Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metal Spining

I'm taking a little detour from my air compressor questions for a minute to tell you about some cool tools I saw yesterday.I was on my way into the shop where I was picking up a part for the compressor and not paying much attention walked into the shop beside it.Well it looked a little funny right off the bat,HMMMMM!
Fella in there comes up to me and says"Picking up an item" I said "Ah sorry man I have the wrong place "Then I started to look around in there, it was a metal spinning business.What an awesome set up.All this big real old machinery,lathes and metal working machines,no computer controlled stuff in there.Great big tools for working the metal on the lathes, similar to a wood lathe but for metal.He had just finished a big copper bowl.He had a big shell casing that he had fabricated for the movie the A Team,he mentioned he had made a few for the movie.Anyway I had never seen anything like that before.
scarrylarry

179337d1302376189-dscf2004-large-jpg

Picked this up today for about $1 a pound:D.
And it is much heavier than it looks!!
Runs great wheels need dressing and needs a switch key.

Last edited:
3phase is almost next to impossible to get on residential. I know I could not get it, but if you wanted to run 3phase you can use a Rotary Phase converter, I think that's what they call it anyway.

I run a 3 phase motor on my knife grinder.To use it all you need is another 3 phase motor running off 220.To start it you use a cap. wired in with a push button.Once the first motor is running it puts out 3 ph.You do need motors that will run on 220.Some run only on 440 or more I think?My Uncle wired this up for me so I will have to go look it over more.Then I will give a better idea how it all works.Cheap and easy!

Last edited:
Knife Grinder tbone75

Hello tbone,Did you say knife grinder?What kind of knives are you grinding,custom made,planer knives,or kitchen knives?
Lawrence

Grinder&Knives

This is my home made knife grinder and some of my knives.The large one in the middle is 14" so you have some idea of size.Edit:I do these all from files free hand on the grinder.All I make are hunting & kitchen knives.The handles are from all kinds of wood,horn and fake pearl.I get some white tail deer horn from my place too.When I get lucky LOL.I find a nice piece of fire wood once in a while maple,cherry,walnut and others I buy.I have kin out in Oregon that send me Myrtle and rose wood.Just got a nice piece of redwood burl the other day.

Last edited:
Hello tbone,Did you say knife grinder?What kind of knives are you grinding,custom made,planer knives,or kitchen knives?
Lawrence

Hunting knives and kitchen knives.i use all different types of woods,horn and fake pearl for handles.I cut a lot of the wood myself.Thats where the saws come in.Just one of many hobbies LOL

Knife Grinder

Tbone, really super nice work on those knives you have made!You would get a pretty penny for those blades.Geeezzzzz.I thought Bigbadbobs new grinder was heavy duty, well it is but yours takes it to a whole different level.Like the old time wood lathe you have there as well.
Lawrence

Scrap yard Bigbadbob

Bob,I would hate to get in the way of you and Brad Morgan at a scrap yard,you guy are birds of a feather,LOL. Good luck on finding pieces for your grinder stand.
Lawrence

Tbone, really super nice work on those knives you have made!You would get a pretty penny for those blades.Geeezzzzz.I thought Bigbadbobs new grinder was heavy duty, well it is but yours takes it to a whole different level.Like the old time wood lathe you have there as well.
Lawrence

Heavy aint the word LOL I think around 200 lbs.?Its all my wife and I could do to get set up there!

Back