Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
180965d1303478777-dscf2001-large-jpg

From my welder.

But on a compressor? There's no way to adjust the cfm of a compressor, unless you go changing pulleys, so you don't have a gauge. Or am I thinking wrong?

Cfm

Okay Chris,I'm feeling pretty dense right about now,so I have to work this out
#1.There is a gauge on the tank that measures how much pressure is in the tank (example 125psi).
#2.There is a gauge after the regulator that measures how much air is going down line to whatever tool you are using.There is a needle on the gauge face and the measurement is expressed in CFM or bar.
I will try and take a close up today or tomorrow
Thanks
Lawrence

Last edited:
180970d1303482245-scrench-jpg

Came across this the other day, I think its for a saw but not sure,the socket slides back and forth and there is a small socket at the end of the screwdriver part.

Nice homemade tool, I like the sliding feature. Looks like a Poulan clutch removal tool on there.
Kevin

I don't think there is such a thing as a CFM gauge Lawrence. I think what you have is two pressure gauges, tank pressure and line pressure, one on each side ofthe regulator?

Put up a close up pic of the gauges and we can sort it out for you.

CFM is a constant reading, if the compresser is running, it puts out a certain CFM all the time. You don't need a gauge.:msp_rolleyes:

SCFM=standard cubic feet per minute
SCFH=standard cubic feet per hour
CFM and CFH are short for above, both are volumetric flow measurements. A flow meter would be used to measure that which that guage in the picture is calibrated to convert. Notice the .032 orifice note on the gauge. It is sensing pressure but based on the use of a .032 orifice and flowing to atmospheric pressure you can scale the gauge to read flow. If the .032 orifice is gone all bets are off.

Brian

A few tools.

I rebuild the air compressor a few years ago. It's a 1945 vintage Curtis. Best that I can tell, it's rated around 16+ CFM. It more than keeps up with the sandblasting cabinet I have (it'll fill and shut off while using the sandblaster continuously):

P1290907.JPG

Current lathe in the shop, a Rockwell 11" model:

rockwell.jpg

Made 12 of these using the late. Cut down long bolts, bored a hole, saved the print shop about $1600 (if you can believe that's what the OEM manufacturer wanted for a set):

sucker_tube.jpg

Bored and sleeved the driveshaft yoke for a red Cub Cadet tractor a couple years ago:

yoke2.jpg

Anyone have any Baldor grinders or buffers, or old welders? The old welders make me think and try to imagine what stories they could tell about their past.

Or an old Electrogrinder? I got one of them, needs bearings and more power. You can stop it still with a little pressure. I will post a pic for you guys tomorrow of some of the really old tools I got laying around.

Dunno if they are old enough, but picked both of these up at auction for $100 each. Score!

lincTIG300.jpg

lincIDEAL250.jpg

Tools

Hey guys this thread is starting to pick up a bit:msp_smile:I was wondering for awhile if it would survive.Good to see all your old tools posted up.Don't forget to add any new tools you may have acquired recently, if you care to.Maybe you would like to include why you picked a certain make or model as well.Just noticed a fella down the street has an old Rockwell wood lathe on the original stand,maybe I will have to go and chat him up as I have one but no stand or motor.I can tell you my wife is getting pretty tired of all the stuff in the garage,think I'm going to have to build a shed.
Lawrence

Hey guys this thread is starting to pick up a bit:msp_smile:I was wondering for awhile if it would survive.Good to see all your old tools posted up.Don't forget to add any new tools you may have acquired recently, if you care to.Maybe you would like to include why you picked a certain make or model as well.Just noticed a fella down the street has an old Rockwell wood lathe on the original stand,maybe I will have to go and chat him up as I have one but no stand or motor.I can tell you my wife is getting pretty tired of all the stuff in the garage,think I'm going to have to build a shed.
Lawrence
Finish your truck,,, or sell it to some poor interior guy!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, it has HF start, but no square wave, and weighs north of 750lbs. It maxed out the small Kubota a neighbor had when we unloaded it. I found some cool old school cast iron wheels to make a carriage for it.

Picked up this beauty from a guy I work with for $50. Put $20 in pulley bearings in it and it works awesome. I love the engine-turned accent strip around the top of it. They just don't make stuff like this any more:

craftsman_dp.jpg

craftsman_logo.jpg

I've had an older Jet mill/drill for quite a while. It's one of the units that's bigger than a drill press but not quite a Bridgeport. Handles anything I've dealt with.

Yeah, it has HF start, but no square wave, and weighs north of 750lbs. It maxed out the small Kubota a neighbor had when we unloaded it. I found some cool old school cast iron wheels to make a carriage for it.

Picked up this beauty from a guy I work with for $50. Put $20 in pulley bearings in it and it works awesome. I love the engine-turned accent strip around the top of it. They just don't make stuff like this any more:

craftsman_dp.jpg

craftsman_logo.jpg

I've had an older Jet mill/drill for quite a while. It's one of the units that's bigger than a drill press but not quite a Bridgeport. Handles anything I've dealt with.
I had the same one a few years back, I think they are from the 50's
Very well made.

Cool. That's a heavy beast. I got a nice Lincoln Square wave machine, its still heavy, but not 750lbs, takes 2 people to lift mine.

That's a way cool drill press.

Anyone have any Baldor grinders or buffers, or old welders? The old welders make me think and try to imagine what stories they could tell about their past.

Or an old Electrogrinder? I got one of them, needs bearings and more power. You can stop it still with a little pressure. I will post a pic for you guys tomorrow of some of the really old tools I got laying around.

I should take a pic of the big old Lincoln 480V AC/DC in the sawmill at work the next time I'm over there. It's the oldest Lincoln I've seen/used first-hand.

Both the welders came out of a local community college. The wife of a buddy of mine who works there told him about the auction and he bid (and won) on two Airco Bumblebee AC/DC machines (same as Miller Dialarc) and one of them has problems. He got them for $52 each. Can't complain.

The best welder I ever used was an old Lincoln motor/generator setup where line power runs a motor that spins a generator that outputs the welding current. The power from that thing was so smooth. I hadn't welded in years and in about a minute was laying down beautiful beads. Most impressive.

Last edited:
Stuff

Finish your truck,,, or sell it to some poor interior guy!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

That's a good one Bob!! The wife just happened to be at the computer screen when I checked in on the Tool Forum and she said tell Bob to come down and she will help load you up with stuff.Of course I simply won't allow that to happen!
Lawrence

Back