Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philbert

Sorry about that! Don't know what happened but your post had an X in it where you were talking about the pruning blade.I clicked on the X but there was no picture.There is a picture now.I was just kidding a bit by the comment.Sorry if I caused any upset feelings!
Lawrence

Last edited:
Here is kind of a tool related item I thought of today. Recently I purchased a Honda powered plug aerator and today I was dumping the regular oil for some Royal Purple, the machine has a tiny drain plug and it is located where the oil will run everywhere. I plan on placing a small pipe extension from the block to allow annual oil changes to not make a mess, I figure for few bucks it will make things easier next time.

Here is kind of a tool related item I thought of today. Recently I purchased a Honda powered plug aerator and today I was dumping the regular oil for some Royal Purple, the machine has a tiny drain plug and it is located where the oil will run everywhere. I plan on placing a small pipe extension from the block to allow annual oil changes to not make a mess, I figure for few bucks it will make things easier next time.

Yeah we did that on the lawn tractors my brother uses for his yard care business. I don't understand why they don't come that way from the factory - the parts cost maybe $5. Just get the pipe extension, a 90° elbow, and a plug/cap. Put thread locker/sealer on the extension though where it threads into the engine.

Here's how the bigger ones are used:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueIB0h4SzHc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></><embed ="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueIB0h4SzHc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hey, it's his toes on the line, not mine. :dizzy:

Mine is more like this one, not quite as big though:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTcDoPhBJEM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></><embed ="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTcDoPhBJEM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That guy's spent a LOT of time doing that to get that good with a small axe.

that really makes me appreciate the years I spent on my uncle sawmill a lot more

Neat vise and a neat saw as well...:clap::clap:

Thanks, I love that old saw. I actually use it quite a bit when the 028 has a dull chain and the 056 is too big for the job. It's a real runner and represents what I look for in a used saw - not heavily used (needing a lot of reconditioning) and runs great. Despite all the negatives I've read about eBay I've only been "burned" once and that was still basically the saw I wanted just missing some critical partsl..:hmm3grin2orange:

There are actually quite a few of these vises on eBay. Some listed at $300.

More Quality German Engineering

attachment.php

attachment.php

Metabo Grinder

Hello Vinni
Great to see you post on this thread!Hope to see more of your posts in the future.I have a Metabo grinder as well,not quite sure if it is the exact same model as yours.When I went looking for a grinder I had never even heard of Metabo.I picked up all the angle grinders they had at the tool shop,the Metabo felt the best in my hand!Asked the salesman what are these tools like, and he said "first rate".Do you own any other Metabo tools?
Lawrence

Tools

Hello Vinni
Great to see you post on this thread!Hope to see more of your posts in the future.I have a Metabo grinder as well,not quite sure if it is the exact same model as yours.When I went looking for a grinder I had never even heard of Metabo.I picked up all the angle grinders they had at the tool shop,the Metabo felt the best in my hand!Asked the salesman what are these tools like, and he said "first rate".Do you own any other Metabo tools?
Lawrence

Lawrence
My grinder is the W7-115 Quick. Best power in a 4 1/2" grinder I've ever used its awesome.
Your story is similar to mine. Kinda stumbled upon them at the welding supplier the day after I dropped and broke my old Skill grinder. Was sad to see that one go it was a good one. They sold a couple cordless sawsall type units to the local salvage yard and they hold up to that abuse so that pretty much sold me.
That grinder is the only Metabo piece I own thus far but I'm in the market for a new cordless drill and have been looking at their stuff.

Nice grinder! Never heard of the brand before, but then again I don't own that much "german engineering" either! What's the funky shield kinda thingy around the disc though? :confused: LOL. I'm not sure I could even find the guards for any of mine anymore. They tend to come off right away, for better or worse. I wouldn't mind them so much if there was some sort of quick-release, like a cam lock etc., to make it easier to reposition the guard without having to whip out the screwdriver.

Nice grinder! Never heard of the brand before, but then again I don't own that much "german engineering" either! What's the funky shield kinda thingy around the disc though? :confused: LOL. I'm not sure I could even find the guards for any of mine anymore. They tend to come off right away, for better or worse. I wouldn't mind them so much if there was some sort of quick-release, like a cam lock etc., to make it easier to reposition the guard without having to whip out the screwdriver.

These are designed to swivel almost 180 with several "click stops" in between and only use the screw driver to remove it. Also the chuck is spring loaded so no tools to remove it to change discs.

I can attest to the durability of the Metabo tools, I worked for years on Industrial/Commercial construction projects as a Superintendant of buildings and works, I bought all the tools our company used and Metabo drills and angle grinders were top notch tools only sold by industrial supply houses. Very few homeowner types would ever see these tools, they are pricey but worth the cost.They had to compete with Milwaulkee, Bosch, Makita and Walter ,these were all industrial grade tools made to take a licking and keep on tickin.
Pioneerguy600

These are designed to swivel almost 180 with several "click stops" in between and only use the screw driver to remove it. Also the chuck is spring loaded so no tools to remove it to change discs.

OK, I figured if it was German it must not be terribly clumsy or difficult. In the picture it just looks like an old-school ring-clamp-style mechanism. As usual, more than meets the eye!

Metabo again

I forgot to tell you guy's in my post concerning Metabo that when the salesman and I were talking about Metabo he mentioned Walter tools and asked if i was familiar with that name.I said yes that I use to have a couple of friends in the millwright business who used their products.He then when on to tell me that Metabo was in the same league.
Lawrence

Grinders...

I also like the Metabo grinders, but they are out of my budget. I can pick up the B&Ds for $20 or so used any time. I currently have three 4 1/2" grinders. One for grinding, one with a cut off wheel (beats the snot out of using air), and a wire wheel. Its nice to be able to go between the three without changing constantly. :)

Metabo tools are good but they are pricey. The guys in the repair shop where I work have a bunch of them, and they really last. As far as grinders, very very hard to beat Makita. I bought one for work (asphalt plant ) about ten years ago and the only trouble was when it got dropped and broke a wire in the cord. Couldn't tell you how many hours that grinder has run and we use it hard, cutting belt lacings, rusty bolts, wire brushing before welding etc. All dirty dusty hot jobs and its never let us down. When it finally does die ,there will be another one the same replacing it. :)

I can attest to the durability of the Metabo tools, I worked for years on Industrial/Commercial construction projects as a Superintendant of buildings and works, I bought all the tools our company used and Metabo drills and angle grinders were top notch tools only sold by industrial supply houses. Very few homeowner types would ever see these tools, they are pricey but worth the cost.They had to compete with Milwaulkee, Bosch, Makita and Walter ,these were all industrial grade tools made to take a licking and keep on tickin.
Pioneerguy600

Metabo wasfor very long my favorite brand for hand drills, grinders, etc. Quite expensive, but their drills for ex. were one of the best around. I said "were", because of their high cost and increasing competition, Metabo has launched a whole series of consumer grade machines that have really gone downwards in quality imo. I still have some Metabo tools of the good era, but I have switched to blue Bosch and Makita for all new electrical powered tools. If you want to have the best around, go...Fein, another great german brand, but their prices are a bit out of league.

Parts for various tools

I ran across this web site the other day looking for parts for a Delta radial arm saw circa 1970's. I found what I needed and thought it would be useful to some of you that need parts for power tools. I looked everywhere for what I needed and this was about the only place I found it.

They also list on the left side the Metabo tools you all have been talking about.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/?osCsid=5fb2bbj1e7e6e3putgfhk7te90

Metabo has launched a whole series of consumer grade machines that have really gone downwards in quality imo. .

That's good to know, cause I sure didn't. Everybody trying to compete with the chicom junk.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back