Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a case splitter I borrowed from my friend to split two 066 cases today:

attachment.php

The "claw" section is made up of two parallel (or at least it looks like they used ot be) pieces of 1/4" plate steel with a big arc cut out to fit. The pieces are separated by about an inch, just enough to accommodate the top of the crank. This one worked really well actually. I had to use a wide flathead screwdriver to pop the front apart a little bit, but it was a lot easier to set up than a bar stud mounted splitter. I don't know how well this type could be adapted to various saws, but I think I'll be building something like it pretty soon.

That is pretty slick!
I am guessing their is a nut(s) in between the two plates?
:cheers:

Those splitters are handy! I saw a neat one made out of aluminum, made for splitting husky's.

Good post Brad! :cheers:

Those splitters are handy! I saw a neat one made out of aluminum, made for splitting husky's.

Good post Brad! :cheers:

Yes, it was especially handy since it was equally capable of forcing the crank out of the flywheel half of the case as well!

To answer the previous question, the plates seem to be separated by a piece of 1" mild square steel that has been drilled & tapped.

When I build one, I'm going to put a thumbscrew adjustment at the far end so I can control the spread of the plates, to allow it to be used on different bore diameters without having to bend or spread them the old-fashioned way.

Yes, it was especially handy since it was equally capable of forcing the crank out of the flywheel half of the case as well!

To answer the previous question, the plates seem to be separated by a piece of 1" mild square steel that has been drilled & tapped.

Ya know it's funny. . . Just when I think I have enough tools for working on chainsaws, I realize I have to buy or make just one more. :dizzy:

Pressuized butane can. It is pressed into the bottom of the torch just like a lighter.

Yep, I don't know how long it will run but I filled it once. Removed the bolt and also took several minutes to take the pictures running it the entire time.

Yep, I don't know how long it will run but I filled it once. Removed the bolt and also took several minutes to take the pictures running it the entire time.

They will run longer than you think. I have one exactly the same that I bought at the dollar store of all places. Very nice little torch for cheap.:clap:

Refilling lighters

A quick tip for refilling lighters or any little butane torches. . . Throw them in the freezer an hour before you fill them. The torch or lighter will fill to capacity with one squirt from the can, as apposed to doing it several times. :)

Pete asked me to add this photo to the thread. I dont actually Own one - and Im still not sure if its the right tool for my particular saw's carb, but i do know there are various Carbs out there that do use this:

218YS6z%2BHUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Its called a Special Carb Adjusting Tool for newer Poulan 2 cycle engines.
and looks to be used like a ratchet (I.e. you put the tool around the H and L screw heads - not into the head like a traditional slotted head screw on most other Carbs.)

The part # is # 530035560 and they look to be had for about $5 + shipping.

A quick tip for refilling lighters or any little butane torches. . . Throw them in the freezer an hour before you fill them. The torch or lighter will fill to capacity with one squirt from the can, as apposed to doing it several times. :)

This is great advice, it did take several squirts and you lose some each time so I am gald ot hear of a fix to the problem.

Any of you guys running into issue's getting your Snap-On tools fixed or replaced under warranty? Our local Snap-On guy has become a real issue.
Since we are in a very rural area, all the farmers go the local parts store (only one within 13 miles) to buy snap -on off the truck on his stop there.
This guy has become a real tool about replacing or repairing any tool. One guy has waited six months for a repair kit for his 3/4" drive ratchet, he's even told guys to send their screw drivers with broken tips back to the company, he won't replace them off the truck. Word is that when all the car dealerships where closed, he got hit with a ton of boxes and tools that were out on credit and now has a garage full and he himself dosen't have the credit line to carry many tools on the truck. It's a damn bad situation, several of us have called snap on raising hell, they just say send us your tool.
They replace them, but the hassle just isn't worth it, the route guy is going to kill their business in our area. Enough of a rant, just wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue.

Any of you guys running into issue's getting your Snap-On tools fixed or replaced under warranty? Our local Snap-On guy has become a real issue.
Since we are in a very rural area, all the farmers go the local parts store (only one within 13 miles) to buy snap -on off the truck on his stop there.
This guy has become a real tool about replacing or repairing any tool. One guy has waited six months for a repair kit for his 3/4" drive ratchet, he's even told guys to send their screw drivers with broken tips back to the company, he won't replace them off the truck. Word is that when all the car dealerships where closed, he got hit with a ton of boxes and tools that were out on credit and now has a garage full and he himself dosen't have the credit line to carry many tools on the truck. It's a damn bad situation, several of us have called snap on raising hell, they just say send us your tool.
They replace them, but the hassle just isn't worth it, the route guy is going to kill their business in our area. Enough of a rant, just wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue.

Nothing that bad, but some guys at work had problems with some older stuff.

Mr snap on told them that their ratchets were too old to put kits in and no parts were available. These were 20 year old ratchets, not stuff from the 1950's
The guys raised holy old hell, and I don't blame them, you buy the stuff because of the warranty. AFAIK they all got fixed up, there is a new guy on the truck now, they only seem to last a couple of years around here.:dizzy:

Yes it goes in cycles, when the economy is down then their tool line takes a hit, that guy will loose all the confidence of the shops he sells to, he will lose the franchise and someone else will pick it up, that fellow will work hard to rebuild the relationship and make sales but will go down in 5-7 years also. That is the way it has been around here for more than 30 years.
Pioneerguy600

Yes it goes in cycles, when the economy is down then their tool line takes a hit, that guy will loose all the confidence of the shops he sells to, he will lose the franchise and someone else will pick it up, that fellow will work hard to rebuild the relationship and make sales but will go down in 5-7 years also. That is the way it has been around here for more than 30 years.
Pioneerguy600

With the downturn, our local Snap-on guy has cut alot of places to bi-weekly visits.

shop clean up

For safety and sanity it is nice to have a clean floor in your workshop and a well made broom makes it that much easier. A few months ago I picked up a german made broom from Home Hardware for our kitchen floor and after buying it I went straight back there to get another for my shed. It is called a Schmutz Hacken (which kinda translates to dirt or scum hook) It works awesome and mine came with a telescopic handle so it is super easy to put away.

apparently these buggers will become available everywhere, and if you can get your hands on one I highly recommended it

http://www.schmutzhaken.com/product.html

Last edited:
Back