Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep... I am going to say those that go to trade schools/technical centers will be much better off than those that don't... hands-on skill and experience is priceless, and definitely increases their chances of survival after, well, let's not get into that.

slowp doesn't like my 'doomsday' talk... :laugh:

A good portion of our population are in the oil fields in ND right now.

I was just having this conversation yesterday. . . The more you know how to do, the easier it is to find work.

Bob what's a QT Max?
Lawrence

Same thing as what I bought... he simply forgot the 'i' in TiMax... amazingly lucky to find one for 20 bucks...

I used my lucky card already... got that huge ass Snap-On box for 600 bucks... it ain't in the best shape, but not in the worst either... I might need another one... I've got this one quite full already... :dizzy: Well, actually my parents bought it for me for graduating high school... and for that kind of money, you'd have to be pretty dumb to pass on a Snap-On box. Obviously, they aren't dumb...

I thought I'd have enough room in this box, but nope, she's already getting quite full...

I figure I have enough tools to fill two or three more of them... :dizzy: and possibly need a fourth for some overflow... :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Battery power tools

Don't know where I heard this but they are suppoedly going to shake up the types of batterry powered tools that are being operated today,Are they fasing out the regular 18 volt XRP line from Dewalt, you know the ones that don't use lithium ion?What about Makita's plans?
I will be in the market soon and don't want to be buying something that I will not be able to get parts for.Should I go with Lithium Ion versus the old line?
Thanks
Lawrnce

Don't know where I heard this but they are suppoedly going to shake up the types of batterry powered tools that are being operated today,Are they fasing out the regular 18 volt XRP line from Dewalt, you know the ones that don't use lithium ion?What about Makita's plans?
I will be in the market soon and don't want to be buying something that I will not be able to get parts for.Should I go with Lithium Ion versus the old line?
Thanks
Lawrnce

Lithium, from what I hear, is far superior to the old batteries, you get longer times of full power, and much, much longer life out of the battery itself.

I'd go with lithium.

If you just want a cordless drill, I've got an Porter Cable drill with the case. 18V, IIRC.

I've heard of guys putting new lithium batteries into the old battery pack for their tools... that way can be cheaper than buying the new tools, and give you basically the same results. Use the same charger, and all...

Take the pack apart, get the battery cluster out, and figure out what size they are and how many there are. Then match them up on the internet, and buy them lithiums, solder tabs connecting the pack just like the old pack, and slap it all back together.

$.02 more here

Lithium, from what I hear, is far superior to the old batteries, you get longer times of full power, and much, much longer life out of the battery itself.

I'd go with lithium.

If you just want a cordless drill, I've got an Porter Cable drill with the case. 18V, IIRC.

I've heard of guys putting new lithium batteries into the old battery pack for their tools... that way can be cheaper than buying the new tools, and give you basically the same results. Use the same charger, and all...

Take the pack apart, get the battery cluster out, and figure out what size they are and how many there are. Then match them up on the internet, and buy them lithiums, solder tabs connecting the pack just like the old pack, and slap it all back together.

Hey Shop Monkey - Aren't you supposed to be at the job?

FWIW - I took my Makita 9.6V ($40 estate sale find) with me to the 'automotive recycling facility' on Wednesday. That thing just SO out-performs my DeWalt 18V NiCD for torque and power that I am seriously considering unloading the DeWalt. My buddy echoes this opinion - Makita cordless tools out-perform all others that have ever been in his shop. He has two 3/8" impact drivers and two others of the 1/4" flavor, beaten to crap and still chuggin' along great!

As ever,
WN

FWIW - I took my Makita 9.6V ($40 estate sale find) with me to the 'automotive recycling facility' on Wednesday. That thing just SO out-performs my DeWalt 18V NiCD for torque and power that I am seriously considering unloading the DeWalt. My buddy echoes this opinion - Makita cordless tools out-perform all others that have ever been in his shop. He has two 3/8" impact drivers and two others of the 1/4" flavor, beaten to crap and still chuggin' along great!

As ever,
WN

I too have a old 9.6V Makita 3/8 impact. It still works great but I also have the new Makita lithium ion ones and they kick the crap out of the older 9.6 version. You do have to be careful, the lithium ones will snap a 3/8's grade 3 bolt.

As ever,
WN

I agree. Makita makes awesome tools. Right now Im running Makita and Millwaukee. Never been a dewalt fan.

ake the pack apart, get the battery cluster out, and figure out what size they are and how many there are. Then match them up on the internet, and buy them lithiums, solder tabs connecting the pack just like the old pack, and slap it all back together.

Stores like Batteries Plus will also do this for you.

Philbert

Lithium Ion batteries take a special charger. Put them on a normal alkaline charger and their liable to blow up. And when they do blow up they are really dangerous.

Good point. I was only thinking about the battery rebuild part, as the post I responded to discussed. Did not think about the charger.

Philbert

Just some of the brands I own and use:

Bahco
Bessy
Bondorus
BOC
Carbi-tool
Cyclone
Dawn
DMT
Fein
Festool
Genius
Gedore
Hitahci
Hilti
Husqvarna
Irwin
JD2
Kern
Kemppi
Keson
Lenox
Lie-Neilsen
Lieca
Mafell
Makita
Occidental
Paslode
Sanderson-kieser
Protool
Ridgid
Rola
Sandvic
Senco
Shinano
Snap-on
Snappy
Stabila
Starrett
Stanley
Star
Stihl
Sutton
Svenic
Swanson
Vaughan
Veritas
White International
Wiss

Im sure there is more

Last edited:
Some lithium batteries like the ones in Cell Phones, have the logic built into them so you can charge them with anything. I have a couple fairly expensive battery chargers that will do Lithium, from my RC days flying electric helicopters, ya don't mess around with a 25v Lithium battery.

I'll only recharge Li-ION batteries with the appropriate charger ...

It's my understanding that the explosive factor has to do with the recharge rate ...

Ever throw a battery into a bonfire? I will not mess with batteries at all ...

Im totally aware of using the appropriate charger for battery, ive probably been through more cordless tools here than most, Bosch, Makita, Fein, Hilti, Hitachi etc...I have heard this before and was just looking if someone could actually explain why, rather than just dont do it.

For what its worth, Nickle metal Hydried batteries arnt much better than Nickle Cadnium IMO, they just dont like opperating in heat above about 30c. The biggest killer for any type of battery is over charging.

Latest posts

Back