Tools for grooming a Queen Palm...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbirch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to tree trimming, (but really enjoying it!). I was trying to clean off all of those messy hairs down on the lower dead fronds (that aren't ready for removal), and clean the look up. It took a long time to accomplish it, and I'm thinking there must be a better tool to clean out all of the dead stringy-like hairs (see pic). I was using a 6" sickle to trim the (lower/dead) fronds, and pulling a bunch of hairs by hand. It seems like there must be a better tool to grab/pull these hairs off to speed the process up, like a brush/comb of some sort?. (pics show the before and after/look I'm trying to achieve) Thanks for any ideas!View attachment 256008
View attachment 256009

Last edited:

• Im new to this as well but guys at my company just use a box cutter

• Thanks for your reply. I have one other question. It seems that there must be a better hand saw for cutting through the dead/bottom fronds when pruning them. I'm using Silky Zubat 330, or Silky Tsurugi Saw, each with "large" teeth, about 6.5 teeth per inch. I find these saws are awesome on the green spears/seed pods, or fronds, but, if it's a hardened, dead piece to cut, it takes me forever to cut through.

What would be a better hand saw to cut through the more dense, dead/hard frond cuts? I'm not wanting to use a chain saw. Thanks!

Back