top handle saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can still find a good used one for around 500 USD, less if you get lucky. It's worth it.

for a

I need some recomendations on a top handle saw. im tired of hand sawing or dragging my 460 up a tree. any help or advice would be helpful. im a weekend warrior so id take old school ones too.

I find the price rather steep. He could get a brand new pro th from other sources with warrenty.

So i believe the consensus is stay away from the macs. thinking about finding somthing used. maybe ill come across something good. Thanks again. Ramzilla alls I need is one top handle that is................at the moment.:msp_biggrin:

Tophandle saws are too dangerous for the average person, you have to be a superhuman genius with superb reflexes and god-like abilities to use a tophandle saw, your average joe bloggs will get cut immediately so make sure you use full body-armour and go with a triple chainbrake system.

Never ever never ever use a tophandle saw on the ground, your throat and jugular will get ripped out in a shower of gushing spray within five minutes, those saws are that bad. They should be banned from manufacture, being sensible we should all be dismantling them and handing them in to the authorities, the authorities can be trusted to do the right thing.

Rear handle saws are 100% better because they won't let you get cut and they keep you safe from danger

So i believe the consensus is stay away from the macs. thinking about finding somthing used. maybe ill come across something good. Thanks again. Ramzilla alls I need is one top handle that is................at the moment.:msp_biggrin:

Haha I was just trying to pawn the Macs off on someone else :blob2:
But seriously if you decide you want a Homelite or Poulan let me know and I will hook you up cheap.

for a

I find the price rather steep. He could get a brand new pro th from other sources with warrenty.

Yep he's a weekend warrior. So what? does that mean if he asks for advice on a saddle I should suggest some cheap pos? Since he's only a weekend warrior a cheap rope will do? A good running saw is as much a piece of safety gear as any other. If I am asked for gear suggestions for climbing I will never reccomend a compromise.

In addition, I probably spent close to $2,000 on other top handles before I finally got my 200t. Wish I'd just gotten it first. Every time I have compromised on gear I've ended up buying it twice. On the other hand there are climbers on this forum who are still using 020 s they bought 15 years ago.

Tophandle saws are too dangerous for the average person, you have to be a superhuman genius with superb reflexes and god-like abilities to use a tophandle saw, your average joe bloggs will get cut immediately so make sure you use full body-armour and go with a triple chainbrake system.

Never ever never ever use a tophandle saw on the ground, your throat and jugular will get ripped out in a shower of gushing spray within five minutes, those saws are that bad. They should be banned from manufacture, being sensible we should all be dismantling them and handing them in to the authorities, the authorities can be trusted to do the right thing.

Rear handle saws are 100% better because they won't let you get cut and they keep you safe from danger

Top handle saws are used by hundreds of thousands of professionals safely every day. I do agree that the average homeowner is much better off with a rear handle saw because they are safer, but to say they should be banned I think is a bit extreme. Saying top handle chain saws should be banned is analogous to saying all guns should be banned. If you banned top handle chain saws you would make life a lot more difficult for hundreds of thousands of arborists across this country.

I wish I could afford a new top handle saw. I guess that I'll just have to stick with my Mini-Mac's. Well, when I get one running, that is. I have four or five that I'm tinkering with right now. Even as hard as they are to work on, I love it when I can bring an old saw back to life.

Still havent found one.

Still havent found one leaning towards a new echo 360t. I have a ragged old homelite that im tinkering with........ found a ms 200 but it was in such bad shape probably cost a couple hundred plus to rebuild it.

Back