Top Handles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking for some no BS answers on top handles.

These are specs from each manufacturers websites:

200T
35.2CC, 2.1HP, 8.4lbs

338XPT
39CC, 2.3HP, 7.7lbs

CS341
33.4CC, 7.5lbs, Unkown Power Rating

CS360T
36.3CC, 8.1lbs, Unkown Power Rating

I know the 200 is considered to be superior but why? I've run an Echo 300 before and I liked it. These other Echp models look pretty good on paper assuming they make decent power. I guess I'm just looking for some opinions on these. I don't need a climbing saw, I'm basically after a one handed limbing saw for thick overgrown tangles with blowdowns and snags. Need to trim and limb in some thick mess

I know the 200 is considered to be superior but why?

....have you run a 200?? :monkey:

On the serious side, I personally don't get caught up in spec sheets. Don't have any experience with those particular Echos, but have run their other top handle models and they were fine saws. The Husky is pretty good too, haven't run the very latest version of the 338 and it supposedly addressed some of the earlier shortcomings. The 200T is a pricey saw for use as a ground saw in the bush. I think it is the best climbing saw I've ever used..........best thing since sliced bread and wide mouth beer can, but mine never gets run once my feet hit terra firma. I've got better saws for that. Forget the spec sheets, go handle the saw(s) you're interested in and buy the one that fits your hands & budget..........

fair enough, but spec sheets are all I have to go on which is why I'm asking for others opinions ;)

No, I haven't run a 200T which is why I'm asking why its so good when on paper it isn't so hot. Is it ergonomics? better built? higher rpms? more compact? I'm asking because I haven't run one and can't run one unless I order it and buy it. I want a quality durable saw that is easy to work on.

As for wanting a top handle while on the ground? Well, I want a saw that I can cut with using one hand, so a top handle it will be

i have a cs360t and for the money is one of the best deals. espically after you take off limiter screws. also have a husqvarna top handle its a screamer but havent got to run it enough to give an honest opnion. and this is just my .02 worth:cheers:

200T - primo engine, explosive acceleration, goes off like a rocket, cuts like a maniac. All available echo top handle saws - in a completely different class and don't come within cooee of either the husky XPT or the stihl. You've gotta pay the dosh if you want the best. That's no B.S.

200T - primo engine, explosive acceleration, goes off like a rocket, cuts like a maniac. All available echo top handle saws - in a completely different class and don't come within cooee of either the husky XPT or the stihl. You've gotta pay the dosh if you want the best. That's no B.S.

Are the saws in your vids all stock?

Zom, in those vids 200T's are stock, XPT's with opened EX outlet, you can lean on them and they just stay in attack mode, lean on an echo, any echo, and it's always bog down/stall time

An untuned or poorly tuned Echo will be just like pgg says, but a properly tuned one will cut very well and for nearly half the price of a 200T.

The 200T's have an awesome reputation and I know a few guys that also swear by the Huskys. There has to be a reason why probably 4 out of 5 pro tree guys use 200T's...

However, a lot of the local fruit tree pruning contractors are starting to swap to the Echo top handles based mainly on price and reliability. They are proving to be more than up to the task of long days and abuse by workers who don't know squat about chainsaw care. In saying that though the biggest limb they'd cut would probably be 6" so any lack of power from the Echos may not stand out against a 200T.

I've spent a fair bit of time on 009's and 200T's mainly pruning almonds and I really like them but they are worth a fortune in Australia. I'd go the Husky based on just price alone.

And I've got a soft spot for Huskys ;)

Last edited:
As most of the tree companies around here say “the 200T is the only stihl you need to own”. It is the gold standard to which all other are compared. It is not without its flaws. It is difficult to work on, has carb issues and is just outrageously priced. Almost never use it outside of the bucket. Don’t want to be shinny bum, but approach one handed saw operation with upmost respect. Tangles, blowdowns and snags sound like a recipe for disaster. Use a mini excavator with a thumb and burn pile on that stuff. If you are determined, I have been hearing good things about the little redmax Gz3500t. No trigger time myself but for the price, you can get one for each hand and still be out less than a 200T. Good luck and be careful.

I know the 200 is considered to be superior but why? I've run an Echo 300 before and I liked it. These other Echp models look pretty good on paper assuming they make decent power. ...

Because the 335s and the early 338s had some issues, but they are supposed to be fixed by now......

Count on the Echos to have notisably less power than the others - there is a reason that they don't list power output in the specs!

The Dolmar 3410T is top-handle arborist saw with a reed valve engine yielding a broad torque curve. I ran one at a GTG when they first came out and was very impressed with the anti-vibe and the low-end grunt.

As most of the tree companies around here say “the 200T is the only stihl you need to own”. It is the gold standard to which all other are compared. It is not without its flaws. It is difficult to work on, has carb issues and is just outrageously priced. Almost never use it outside of the bucket. Don’t want to be shinny bum, but approach one handed saw operation with upmost respect. Tangles, blowdowns and snags sound like a recipe for disaster. Use a mini excavator with a thumb and burn pile on that stuff. If you are determined, I have been hearing good things about the little redmax Gz3500t. No trigger time myself but for the price, you can get one for each hand and still be out less than a 200T. Good luck and be careful.

I have used a top handle before. I've been borrowing a buddy's echo 300. I do realize they are more dangerous but a top handle is just working so much better. I don't have any heavy equipment available. I am cutting treed areas of farmland and pasture that friends own. Basically trying to clean up and improve the wooded areas so that they will produce some better quality mature trees once all the crap is cleaned out. Lots of dead and blown down wood. Lots of snagged stuff. Basically I'm trimming my way into the larger wood with the small saw and then when I have an area to stand/walk around I bring in a larger saw and buck up bigger peices for firewood. The firewood gets hauled out by hand or on a quad trailer

I can't try any of these saws before I buy. The local shops do not keep them in stock. I have to order what I want from any of these brands. I know lots of you guys don't understand this but I'm in the middle of nowhere. The places that sell saws mostly bring in what people want and only stock very few models. Its just the way it is out in the bush! Thats why others opinions help with the deciding process

I have used a top handle before. I've been borrowing a buddy's echo 300. I do realize they are more dangerous but a top handle is just working so much better. I don't have any heavy equipment available. I am cutting treed areas of farmland and pasture that friends own. Basically trying to clean up and improve the wooded areas so that they will produce some better quality mature trees once all the crap is cleaned out. Lots of dead and blown down wood. Lots of snagged stuff. Basically I'm trimming my way into the larger wood with the small saw and then when I have an area to stand/walk around I bring in a larger saw and buck up bigger peices for firewood. The firewood gets hauled out by hand or on a quad trailer

I use my top handle for exactly the same thing & it's a 192T. I keep it in a scabbard on the tractor, so it is always available. I couldn't ask for anything better, but I am just a pretend farmer with 100 ac & a Woodmizer sawmill & am building a log home out of ERC. If you do this for a living, I say get the 200T & don't look back.

Spring10004.jpg

RD

fair enough, but spec sheets are all I have to go on which is why I'm asking for others opinions ;)

No, I haven't run a 200T which is why I'm asking why its so good when on paper it isn't so hot. Is it ergonomics? better built? higher rpms? more compact? I'm asking because I haven't run one and can't run one unless I order it and buy it. I want a quality durable saw that is easy to work on.

As for wanting a top handle while on the ground? Well, I want a saw that I can cut with using one hand, so a top handle it will be

Re: 200T for me it's Power, compactness/weight, ergos & reliability. Unmatched, for me. Others are certainly welcome to their opinion. Downsides? A PITA to work on (compactness has it's liabilities) and airbox location (when in the tree and extending out to tag a limb I find it a bit in the way of wrist/arm positioning). Of course the last would only be noticed up in a tree. Never experienced any carb or any other deficiencies for that matter. All that said and as much as I love the 200t, I'd never recommend anyone tossing out that kind of cabbage for the use you have in mind. Unless money is no object here. Or you could consider the 192t, lower price point and stihl good performance.

Though I don't recommend the use of a top handled saw for one handed operation in brushy operations, it is a free country and only urge use due diligence. If all you're cutting is brush and small limb wood one of the small Echos will serve you fine I expect. The power ratings only really come into play in larger wood. Doesn't sound like you need one of the top rated arborist saws, just something light, ergonomic and reliable?

My only comment (intended) with spec sheets is that they are really only a reference, compiled by the individual companies to their own standards and don't always tell the whole tale.......:dizzy:

My son has a 200T and it is one wicked little saw, very deceiving for it's size. The comments are spot on about explosive accelration. I have an old 09, huge improvement. I think Cent gave some excellent advice about safety with them, not using one but every once in a while I find them a little akward to run on the ground, but I have huge hands (xxxl gloves) and that prolly doesn't help. Just always use a little extra caution running them.

I went from the 192 to the 200 after fighting it for many years and must say it is what they say. THEN,, I was forced to buy a 2135t since like a big brain I left my 200 at home in the vice and can easily say I would buy 2 of the jonsereds before i'd buy a 200 again. The power is almost a coin toss but at first take the filter on the j-red looks about as cheap can get but has yet to let a spec of dust in after many tanks. I am not real sure what a 2135 should cost but I gave $199 plus tax and have been laughing every since.

Back