Top of Piston on 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJLOGGER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yesterday I had the muffler off of my 044 contemplating buying a dual port muffler. While looking at the cylinder and piston, I observed everyting to be in great shape. However when I pulled the rope and the piston went down I observed a thin layer of black oily crud on the top of the piston. Is this ok? It doesn't seem to be hurting anything, the saw runs like a raped ape. I am just wondering if maybe the saw is a little rich. I did a quick search on this subject but couldn't find much I could have looked in the wrong place tho'. Also how much change should I expect if I add a dual port muffler, the muffler I currently have on is a side discharge muffler. Thanks for any input.

heavy deposits like that are not considered normal,what brand of 2 cycle mix are you using?
if you are using a quality brand name mix you are running rich.(really rich)
if you have that on your piston top good bet you muffler is loaded up with gunk too.

A thin uniform layer on TOP of the piston is quite normal on an 044.

Adding the dual port front makes noticeable difference; more on the newer mufflers than the old, but still noticeable.

Latest posts

Back