Top reasons not buy a 290 farmboss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so what' the muzzle velocity on that short barrel? I'd rather see another inch of barrel sticking out of the action to get the slug up to speed. Actually, I'd rather see another two inches of barrel.

Function over appearance, in chainsaws and firearms.

This what I believe the OP was getting at. For the $440 it cost for a new 291 you could get a very nice pro saw used. Heck, for about $60 more, you can get a 066/660 here in the trading post (yes, currently) Or an 036, 034 Super, 262, Etc. All very nice saws, with much more power.

I owned a 455 Rancher. I liked it (not gonna lie) but I never owned a bigger Pro saw. My next saw was a 036 Pro. I sold every homeowner saw I had.

The 290/291-455/460/455 AT are a decent saw. But for that money? You could do better (used). Many places out there with trusted sellers of good used saws. Like here.......

Some folks do not want a used pro saw. They want a new saw with a 20" blade (yes, that was intentional) and a warranty. They also want to bring it in for service and sharpening. Many times that type of customer needs an entirely new chain due to rocking of the old one. They get green chains, bars, and even (gasp) MotoMix at $65 a case. To 95% of the world, an MS290 is s big saw. If the guy has the coin to spend, why not? A 290 or 455 will walk away from a modern "Homelite" anything, and/or his buddies WoodShark.

Some folks do not want a used pro saw. They want a new saw with a 20" blade (yes, that was intentional) and a warranty. They also want to bring it in for service and sharpening. Many times that type of customer needs an entirely new chain due to rocking of the old one. They get green chains, bars, and even (gasp) MotoMix at $65 a case. To 95% of the world, an MS290 is s big saw. If the guy has the coin to spend, why not? A 290 or 455 will walk away from a modern "Homelite" anything, and/or his buddies WoodShark.
Then they should find an Echo dealer.

anim_peep.gif
anim_peep.gif
anim_peep.gif

Echo "dealers" are few and far between around here. Possibly due to that amazing warranty that they seldom choose to make good on. I can get Stihl to warranty just about anything, and if the solution is "replace the unit" I'll hand them a new one while they wait.

I have no issue with the Echo products, but the big-box store thing does not help the ownership experience.

Good point and I'll follow it up with. Not everyone is mechanically inclined and feels comfortable buying someone else's used saw that may or may not have issues. I have been blessed with a mind that understand mechanics and hands that can fix and repair most anything. In my mind buying a used pro saw over a new homeowners is a no brainier. I also realize that not everyone is bless with that skill set.....just ask both my BIL's lol they have me on speed dial

Good point and I'll follow it up with. Not everyone is mechanically inclined and feels comfortable buying someone else's used saw that may or may not have issues. I have been blessed with a mind that understand mechanics and hands that can fix and repair most anything. In my mind buying a used pro saw over a new homeowners is a no brainier. I also realize that not everyone is bless with that skill set.....just ask both my BIL's lol they have me on speed dial
Lets also not forget how many saws are given for Christmas or birthday presents. A new 290/291 seems like a much better present than a used 026.

I got my first saw fer Christmas.

It was a lil' plastic Homie that served me well (living in town with 4 trees)

When we moved out to our little acre (15 wooded) soon found out I was out gunned!

I damned near cut the spur in halve on that little snorter, and was seriously considering a 290/310.

As luck would have it, every google search on used saws brought me here.

Ordered a 359 with the good 20" and 3 chains and T shirt for 419? to me door.

Still reading here I ended up getting a 5100 before that 359 made it across the Rockies.

The rest you can say 'is history!

For me it is just about capability for the money. I'm just a guy cutting firewood for his own stove, and I can't justify spending more than homeowner grade saws cost because it won't add a thing in terms of the job I have to do - if my saws are a couple of percent slower it doesn't matter at all (and you might be surprised). I can't relate to buying expensive pro saws and putting 16" or 18" bars on them when my Poulan and RedMax saws will do that all day. I don't care about warranties nor will I have someone else work on my equipment.

The hobby aspect of porting, modding mufflers and sharpening chains can be satisfied just as well, if not better, on cheap used homeowner saws. And I'd just as soon work on a clamshell - no case splitters or heating for me.

My dad is not interested in working on equipment, so he gave me his old homeowner junk that didn't run right and stepped up to buy a good saw. He paid way too much for an MS250C. It failed within the year and the dealer could not or would not fix it (it was just a leak on the poorly designed and ill-fitting fuel line assembly). In working on it I found that there wasn't anything about it that was higher quality or better performance than my cheap Poulans - he'd been ripped off. I gave it back to him because I didn't want it. It works fine now and I would expect it to last a long time, just like my plastic Poulans.

In the mean time he bought a 455R, and that has been flawless. It would do everything I need, but I won't spend that much. It's got a strato engine and I like the design. With a good chain it cuts very well.

To me the problem with the Stihl homeowner saws is not that they aren't "pro" saws, I could care less. It's that they cost too much for what you get. I'm interested in content, and paying a lot for a brand name makes me feel like I've been had by the advertising man.

I agree to a point . I tried the Poulan thing for a while out of curiosity....I still cant feel my hands !! I did like the way they run though . I may be the only guy on here that likes the color combo of the Wild Thing . Now if they made a Wild Thing with anti-vibe....it would be a hare more money..but Id have one ! In my avatar I have my little Dolmar 350 . It was like $250 out the door . Full anti-vibe . Magnesium Crankcase . High power for a 2 h.p. saw . It is literally the smoothest most comfortable saw Ive ever owned . Even with its 14 inch bar , its pretty much my go to saw . I think the Dolmar 350/420,421 are the best small firewood saw deals going .....and would definetly be an economical improvement over the Poulan !

After a good day's work :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree to a point . I tried the Poulan thing for a while out of curiosity....I still cant feel my hands !! I did like the way they run though . I may be the only guy on here that likes the color combo of the Wild Thing . Now if they made a Wild Thing with anti-vibe....it would be a hare more money..but Id have one ! In my avatar I have my little Dolmar 350 . It was like $250 out the door . Full anti-vibe . Magnesium Crankcase . High power for a 2 h.p. saw . It is literally the smoothest most comfortable saw Ive ever owned . Even with its 14 inch bar , its pretty much my go to saw . I think the Dolmar 350/420,421 are the best small firewood saw deals going .....and would definetly be an economical improvement over the Poulan !
That's the thing - you must look into the design and pick and choose. They do make "Wild Things" with excellent A/V and more reasonable color schemes (I have two). For power my muffler modded 42cc Craftsman/Poulan pulls an 18" bar very well in anything (I'd be quite surprised if a 35cc anything could touch it). It does everything it needs to, and while the used GZ4000 saws I got have mag cases, what does this matter when you are using them? At most the plastic case might weigh a little more, but I could not tell.

Its just an opinion..one that makes me feel better when I try to sleep !!! Its all about what makes people feel confident when they head out in the woods . .Theres nothing like packing up....going deep into the woods....and not being able to start your saw......ANY SAW ! And yes...my Dolmar would beat it . Ive been a collector and fixer of all saws for years . If had alot of the Craftsman/Poulans . They are good saws...but the ones without A/V...forget it . If my Dolmar is lacking any power..which I doubt.....I will make up for it by being able to cut more because I can still feel my hands . Keep in mind..Im not trying to sell you on a "PRO" saw . I like to try them all . They all have good and bad points :)

Its just an opinion..one that makes me feel better when I try to sleep !!! Its all about what makes people feel confident when they head out in the woods . .Theres nothing like packing up....going deep into the woods....and not being able to start your saw......ANY SAW ! And yes...my Dolmar would beat it . Ive been a collector and fixer of all saws for years . If had alot of the Craftsman/Poulans . They are good saws...but the ones without A/V...forget it . If my Dolmar is lacking any power..which I doubt.....I will make up for it by being able to cut more because I can still feel my hands . Keep in mind..Im not trying to sell you on a "PRO" saw . I like to try them all . They all have good and bad points :)
LOL, a challenge! No way you're gonna make up a 16% displacement deficit! Kidding aside, when you take either saw to the woods if it is properly maintained and reliable you'll basically get the same job done. Small cutting speed differences don't matter much. That reliability issue is why I ended up finding AS, and the main thing I've learned here. Porting and modding is fun, but having a reliable saw that starts and runs properly with a sharp chain is what heats the house. These days I mostly use the GZ4000s, which really are pro construction saws, because of the strato engines and lower fuel waste. But I can count on any of them to start, run and cut.

I agree with you on the A/V. My first 42cc Craftsman/Poulan didn't have it and I often had my hands go numb. I won't do that anymore. The spring A/V on the ones I have now is very effective and sturdy - it's not prone to bending springs like some I've used.

LOL, a challenge! No way you're gonna make up a 16% displacement deficit! Kidding aside, when you take either saw to the woods if it is properly maintained and reliable you'll basically get the same job done. Small cutting speed differences don't matter much. That reliability issue is why I ended up finding AS, and the main thing I've learned here. Porting and modding is fun, but having a reliable saw that starts and runs properly with a sharp chain is what heats the house. These days I mostly use the GZ4000s, which really are pro construction saws, because of the strato engines and lower fuel waste. But I can count on any of them to start, run and cut.

I agree with you on the A/V. My first 42cc Craftsman/Poulan didn't have it and I often had my hands go numb. I won't do that anymore. The spring A/V on the ones I have now is very effective and sturdy - it's not prone to bending springs like some I've used.

Completely agree with you !! And A challenge ?? Why not !!! Im up for losing...then having a beer :)

people like that keep the doors open at the shop I deal with... theyre not makin anything from me buyin parts for my old stuff.... their gravy is labor on "homeowner" stuff.

Last edited:
Ain't tried one under 50cc.

But hey I'm not gettin' any younger,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I can still remember what 420 means!

The 271 is the replacement for the 290.Same HP lost a pound, price is dropping better filter. HK makes the Best combat handguns hands down.

just my two bits, my 290 does all I want it to do, after a muffler mod. I'd like a bigger saw, I just don't need one. The dealer is only half a mile away, and that had something to do with why I chose it, just in case I need another bar nut or muffler bolt or files for the chain.. Now that I have been on AS, I'd probably go back and get a pro grade saw, but that doesn't mean I regret having a 290. It's fine for what it is.

For me it is just about capability for the money. I'm just a guy cutting firewood for his own stove, and I can't justify spending more than homeowner grade saws cost because it won't add a thing in terms of the job I have to do - if my saws are a couple of percent slower it doesn't matter at all (and you might be surprised). I can't relate to buying expensive pro saws and putting 16" or 18" bars on them when my Poulan and RedMax saws will do that all day. I don't care about warranties nor will I have someone else work on my equipment.

The hobby aspect of porting, modding mufflers and sharpening chains can be satisfied just as well, if not better, on cheap used homeowner saws. And I'd just as soon work on a clamshell - no case splitters or heating for me.

My dad is not interested in working on equipment, so he gave me his old homeowner junk that didn't run right and stepped up to buy a good saw. He paid way too much for an MS250C. It failed within the year and the dealer could not or would not fix it (it was just a leak on the poorly designed and ill-fitting fuel line assembly). In working on it I found that there wasn't anything about it that was higher quality or better performance than my cheap Poulans - he'd been ripped off. I gave it back to him because I didn't want it. It works fine now and I would expect it to last a long time, just like my plastic Poulans.

In the mean time he bought a 455R, and that has been flawless. It would do everything I need, but I won't spend that much. It's got a strato engine and I like the design. With a good chain it cuts very well.

To me the problem with the Stihl homeowner saws is not that they aren't "pro" saws, I could care less. It's that they cost too much for what you get. I'm interested in content, and paying a lot for a brand name makes me feel like I've been had by the advertising man.

Yup many many 10s of thousands heated their home with one of the marvelous old Homies or Mac 10-10s.

The 290 series are alot more comfortable eh?

The 271 is the replacement for the 290.Same HP lost a pound, price is dropping better filter. HK makes the Best combat handguns hands down.

Gotta ask the question because of your signature . . . what HK combat handguns do you own and were they made in the United States? I believe I was told that HK has stateside manufacturing, but I have no idea what is produced there?

Latest posts

Back