Tornado trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pro94lt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
be carefull, they are laying in all different directions and are bound up in ways you won't see. it's a very easy way to get hurt quick.

When I cut after the tornado went thought Mapleton near me the branches were the worst on a falling tree. The would snap back at you like A-rod swinging a bat on the juice:angry:

I've been helping out a friend who lost about 40 trees in the April storm. It's a mess, and it was only an EF-1. I can't imagine how it must look about now in Alabama and Missouri.

Me and a friend spent a couple hours Saturday working on one well-placed snag at this place. It was hung up beside the tree it had been ripped out of, and dangling into a creek. We tried to pull it down, but the limbs kept getting hung on various rocks, other trees, and barbed wire. I finally got down to the creek bed, sawed off all the limbs into maneageable sizes, and handed them up the bank.

The rest of that tree is just going to have to wait for a crane. The top of it is hanging off the other side. No way I'm going after it.

Be safe guys.

Ive cut a fair amount of "Tornado trees" lately.. The pole saw i have has been a life saver at times as well!

Fallen and trwisted trees always want to pinch my bar.. I have learned to be MORE wary.

It was an F3 that went through a nearby town here a few weeks ago. Glade Spring Va. I live 5 minutes away. It jumped the mountain and came through Chilhowie Va. This was only F2, but was a 30 second drive from my house. I heard that one as it went through. Sounded like a train.
It destroyed piles of trees. There is nothing quite like cutting up tornado waste. Trees stacked and twisted, tied up in knots. It's the roughest cutting I have ever did. I twisted hickory trees into toothpicks. It's almost impossible to get them all cut up. It took us two days to clear 100 ft of road. This was a backroad and was stacked full of tornado trees. Cars and electric wire all tangled up in between them. Me and three others and it took 27 hours to clear that stretch.
Worst part of it is, we hav'ent, and prolly won't get paid due to FEMA backing out on everyone. Talk about pissed. We are hoping we get paid but it's not looking good. I've never pinched my saw so many time in my life. It was terrible.
Theres piles of people who are getting robbed by thier insurance companys. Some of the people have payed insurance for thirty and forty years without ever filing a claim. I tell ya guys, the world is a messed up and unethical place this day and age.

The best way (safest) to handle tornado damaged trees. :rock:

DnBMack

I was out yeaterday doing clean up work. Yeah, it's a mess, gotta go slow and look things over real good before wading in. The hardest thing for me is clearing out the big limbs that are broke off and hanging up in the tops of the trees.
Gotta get them down too, or one day they will decide to suddenly drop for no reason. 10 to 1 you or your truck will be parked under it when it does let go.

We had an EF-2 last Fall, and it made quite a mess. The trees look like a pile of pick-up sticks. We have been taking our time and being really careful. I probably still have a good 75 to 100 trees left to cut up, and we've been working on it since last Fall. I will try and post some pics later.

Back