Total Chain who makes it? is it any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans3kgt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a box of stuff at a yard sale today and there was a never used what I believe is a 20" 3/8 .58 chain in there its marked total on the chain. And there is a j1 on it. I have a jonsered 820 with a total bar on it I was just wondering if there any good . In the box there were a couple origional owners manuals for a stihl 015 and a stihl 041 some files and a bunch of screnches and a old stihl tool kit. One small bar and chain that looks like it came off of the 015

Dan

I forgot the pictures of the chain. Here you go

totalchain.jpg

totalchain1.jpg

I havent seen Total chain, but have a handful of Total guide bars and sprockets for some of the older Homelite saws... the fit and finish seem to be very good, wouldnt imagine their chain would be any different. Cant beat 2 bucks either!

Total saw chain was at one time a product of Tecomec (they make the "Jolly" series of chain grinders), they are a european manufacturer, I want to say spain or italy but not very sure. Had a couple of yard sale new loops a few years ago, nice durable chain, and for the bargain price of about a buck a loop at the yard sale it couldn't be beat.

Total is, or at least was, Tilton's house brand. Tilton imports and distributes Jonsered Chain saws to about 2/3 of the USA, as well as a few other products.

Total bars have been mostly Japanese, but excellent quality, the chain has been mostly Carlton chain in the last few years. A close look at the chain shows the two rectangular stamping marks on the cutters, which I remember seeing on chains that came standard on Echo saws back in the late 1970's and 1980's. If it is the same Japanese chain, its good chain.

As an aside, I had a Dolmar 118s with original Dolmar-branded chains...they had the two stampings too. Not a Dolmar fan, I traded for a sweet little Jonsered. I got another beautiful red saw, and the other guy got some oddball, low-production orphan that he'll never get parts for. I should feel bad about that...

I was most recently told that it is oregon chain. I ordered a loop off of ebay so when I make it I get it I shall conjecture. I guess saying it's "oregon chain" doesnt mean much--to them now that oregon owns carlton and they're dealing with carlton it may still well be carlton chain but they think its oregon chain because they're dealing with oregon.

Anyway if you go on the tilton website they show actual carlton boxes and stuff as well.

Any interest in getting rid of the 041 owners manual? I'd be interested in it.

Back