Toughest trees to climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any one like the big rotten alianthus/ tree of heaven that is in between a couple triple deckers with all the power and cable/telephone lines running through that has absorbed the chain link fence?

any one like the big rotten alianthus/ tree of heaven that is in between a couple triple deckers with all the power and cable/telephone lines running through that has absorbed the chain link fence?

I've seen pictures of that! It's called a crane!:cheers:

I think I will be dead and gone before I have the skill set to tackle a job like that! Most people I know don't like climbing those trees ALIVE!!

Try a Sycamore in mid summer. I had never seen a single tree make a whole crew of men cough, cry and vomit all day...makes these Cottonwoods feel like a day at the lake!

difficult trees youll end up with a list a mile long for different reasons, here in nz monkey puzzles are a PIA follow by phoenix plams, london planes when there coverd in leaves, then has to be pin oaks one hell of a #### fight no matter how you attack the basturd.

ill stop now or i might clog the server our native tea tree or kanuka there a barrel of laughs if you have to spike them the woods so bloody hard you cant get your spikes into the buggers, all you guys that moan about gums i cant see why there such a dodle get a bit funky when there wet though haha

difficult trees youll end up with a list a mile long for different reasons, here in nz monkey puzzles are a PIA follow by phoenix plams, london planes when there coverd in leaves, then has to be pin oaks one hell of a #### fight no matter how you attack the basturd.

ill stop now or i might clog the server our native tea tree or kanuka there a barrel of laughs if you have to spike them the woods so bloody hard you cant get your spikes into the buggers, all you guys that moan about gums i cant see why there such a dodle get a bit funky when there wet though haha

Pheonix and monkey puzzle are my top WTFAIDH (am I doing here) trees. Although pheonix is a palm, its just bad news for arborists.

For pruning a Pin Oak it's the worst. Seems like every branch hangs up.. and for removing a declining Tulip Polpar...your hinge wood suddenly breaks and when its windy this can be a real battle with mother nature. Pray to God he is on your side today. Buttonwood trees have also had me coughing up blood from their fruit(balls). They just scratch the heck out of your throat. Ive even turned down a few jobs because I wanted to wait later in the year to work on them.

Ahhh...moaning about gums...

I've climbed a bit in Christchurch, NZ and have seen some gnarly gums there. Maybe I didn't get around enough while there, but I don't remember seeing any blue gums as nasty as ones I worked on in Melbourne or San Francisco.

In my humble opinion, as an individual species, blue gums are the most difficult trees I've encounted. The wood is very heavy and requires extra care when lowering; the grain is spiral, so limbs twist when breaking off; they have multiple, twisted leaders which become separate entities; the bark is slippery, even in the dry season; scorpions and other venim lurk underneath the bark; they grow fast and tall and were over planted in urban settings; quite often they're hollow fifty feet up, but you would never know it unless pounding the trunk with a piece of wood or metal pipe. They have other nasty qualities which I seem to have mentally blocked out right now because of reoccurring nightmares.

I know there are many other species that fit the above criteria: black locusts, poplars, plane trees, cottonwoods, shagbarks, etc. I guess my main beef is that in San Francisco where I worked for a few years, blue gums grew in backyards the size of a 3-car garage, extending branches out fity feet over a half dozen roofs, and we had to wreck them by hand, as setting up with a crane in SF is almost impossible. We once took a big Monterrey Pine down in a backyard and walked it through a backdoor and out the front, but that's another story...

Did one like that last month. Power, cable and phone through the branches, chain link imbeded at the base, directly over the chain link and wood fence, hanging out over a small cottage roof with a skylight right below the branches. And half was dead! Lot of fun. :chainsaw:

Pheonix and monkey puzzle are my top WTFAIDH (am I doing here) trees. Although pheonix is a palm, its just bad news for arborists.

when ever i get offered a pheonix plam i think of a company thats recently pissed me off then tell the client to get them in haha, we got pacific islander hacks here in auckland and they get alot of them cause they dont have a clue how to price them lol i always laugh when i see them doing 1 working off the roof of there truck with a blunt $299 special from mega mitre 10 chain saw haha.

back in the day I use to hate climbing trees that were covered with poison ivy so thick that you had a hard time spiking some solid wood.

Almost every white pine in the immediate area received damage from the ice storm here in dec. I currently hate them the most. sap everwhere. Drippy nasty rope gumming sap. Big nasty pin oaks can be rough too. Dead branches everywhere to poke and snag...... Mike

I agree 100% with this but will add that Pin Oaks that haven't been touched in years are tough and frustrating to get through...especially when you are over 6' tall!!!

Didn't read the whole thread but furrowed bark on big sections of white ash peels out sometimes with spikes when you don't expect it, it is so straight grained.

Elms with no bark make me nervous sometimes if I am rigging off what I am tied into.

Oddly enough, I despise climbing Ash trees unless its late in the afternoon and they've had a chance to dry from the morning dew.

I despise black gum too

when ever i get offered a pheonix plam i think of a company thats recently pissed me off then tell the client to get them in haha, we got pacific islander hacks here in auckland and they get alot of them cause they dont have a clue how to price them lol i always laugh when i see them doing 1 working off the roof of there truck with a blunt $299 special from mega mitre 10 chain saw haha.

That samoan crew are nation wide and better organised than you might think, part of some seven day eventist church for tax purposes. They are branching out around Aus to, boy do they suck. Standover tactics, price gouging, upping quotes and generally making the term Hack seem to nice for them.

I lived in Phoenix years ago and trimmed palms for awhile.
I did really mind trimming them but peeling them to the top sucked bad.
Was the only time in my life that the spurs bothered me.
garfieldhangover.jpg

Latest posts

Back