Tow Pig

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarolar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
1986 Chevy 1 ton dually 4x4

What are yalls thoughts on this truck for a general firewood truck tow pig? I want to be able to move the 5030 with ballast estimated at 6k plus wood and a TO-35 Ferguson. Also I haul a 18ft bay boat around a good bit. Its crew cab with auto trans.

1986 Chevy 1 ton dually 4x4

What are yalls thoughts on this truck for a general firewood truck tow pig? I want to be able to move the 5030 with ballast estimated at 6k plus wood and a TO-35 Ferguson. Also I haul a 18ft bay boat around a good bit. Its crew cab with auto trans.

well ditch the auto and put a SM465 in it and you will be golden :rock:
my last truck was my first and last vehicle with an automatic, i like reliability, and knowing when something is going bad, if my clutch starts slipping i know its time to replace it but it still works enought to get me home, unlike an auto that just up and stops working or looses a bunch of gears out of nowhere

well ditch the auto and put a SM465 in it and you will be golden :rock:
my last truck was my first and last vehicle with an automatic, i like reliability, and knowing when something is going bad, if my clutch starts slipping i know its time to replace it but it still works enought to get me home, unlike an auto that just up and stops working or looses a bunch of gears out of nowhere

I agree I want a stick shift but for the price it may be too good to turn down. Plus the older 400's were pretty dang tough for an automatic.

Thoughts?

Auto trans, :msp_thumbdn:

6 tires to replace, :msp_thumbdn:

16 yr old truck, original owner N/A to talk to, :msp_thumbdn:

Only info is on the seat color and condition of the radio, :msp_thumbdn::msp_thumbdn:

The ad doesnt say if its a gas or diesel, small block or big block. You will hate the automatic, I dont care if it is a t400. Just wont hold up to heavy towing. The weights you asked about are not unreasonable for that truck with the diesel or bigblock, but a small block might struggle off road.

Last year dad bought a 1985 heavy 3/4 ton 4x4 with a Meyer plow. It is a rare non emission model so no cats and endless hoses. It has the big brakes, 410 gears and the hd th400 trans. After rebuilding the plow, new Walker exhaust, used seat, and some brake work, we have less than $2k in her. Rust is her problem. Every time you slam a door, she loses 5 pounds!

There is nothing wrong with an automatic tranny and towing a heavy load, it will hold up just fine. Sure you may have to rebuild it at some point in time, no different than any manual trans. Yes you will have 6 tires to replace but you won't be replacing then as often due to less stress by overloading etc. I would get pictures and or go look at it before I jumped into anything though. More info would be good as well.

pig in a poke

They ain't saying what engine is in it.
Could be a 350
Could be a 454
Could be a 6.2/6.5 diesel ....

Could be a rust bucket, could be pretty decent.

The T400 is one of the strongest 3sp auto ever made. Put a big cooler on it, and keep the oil clean. It will survive, especially against the low axle gears of a 1 ton. Which is one of the best features. You get a nice pair of HEAVY DUTY axles in there.

I agree...there's nothing wrong with an automatic transmission..
I work for a paving company and all of our service trucks that do really heavy pulling (five days/wk) have Auto transmissions and i can't ever remember one failing
And i've work there for over 26 years.
Keep the fluids and filters changed...add a transmission cooler if it doesn't already have one.
The service trucks we are using now are GMC with DuraMax Diesels and Allison Trans.

I realize it has a lot of missing info luckily its close enough I can stand to go look at it today and see what's up. I'll get back with yall this afternoon if its got a ssmallblock its def out.

That's what I am thinking and a 4x4 1tonn is the definition of badass when it comes to firewood trucks...

Heck, even a 3/4 ton. I wouldn't sell my 2500 diesel 4x4 for less than 2500 as it sits right now, let alone after some more work to it.

Latest posts

Back