tractor hydraulics problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike PA

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a john deere tractor with a front end loader. We have been using it to load logs into a truck. I think we picked up a few logs that were too heavy, as the loader will no longer stay up on its own. I drifts down even without a load. I don't know much (or anything) about tractor hydraulics, so I just need a place to start looking for problems. I'm guessing this may be a relatively easy diagnosis for people who know these things. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

A friend of mine has a john deere tractor with a front end loader. We have been using it to load logs into a truck. I think we picked up a few logs that were too heavy, as the loader will no longer stay up on its own. I drifts down even without a load. I don't know much (or anything) about tractor hydraulics, so I just need a place to start looking for problems. I'm guessing this may be a relatively easy diagnosis for people who know these things. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Sounds like the one or both of the lift cylinders need repacking.

Most likely a problem in the loader valve, have him lower it and pull the rubber boot on the stick, check where the stops bolt in to the block to make sure one of them is not loose.

tractorbynet.com has lots of usefull info. Sorry if it against the rules to post this even if it is a tractor forum

What is involved with that? I was hoping more of a valve repair/ replacement. This sounds more difficult.

Check to make sure the valve is centering properly as Walt41 suggested first because its the cheapest and easiest fix. Repacking the cylinders usually isn't really that hard if you have a good vise and some basic tools. I replaced the seals in a bucket cylinder a couple of weeks ago in about 2 hrs and a $27 o-ring kit.

Back