Trailer for tractor and Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a rollers or some sort of dowels on the trailer bed? Load your logs onto the rollers and strap them down normally. Then you could chain them to a fixed object and pull them off together by driving forward, or use a come along or a Maasdam rope puller to "roll" them off the back of the trailer.

I would think adding the rollers would eliminate the need to take the weight off the load to slide them off. The rollers would allow you to the weight straight back with minimal effort and better control...

How about a rollers or some sort of dowels on the trailer bed? Load your logs onto the rollers and strap them down normally. Then you could chain them to a fixed object and pull them off together by driving forward, or use a come along or a Maasdam rope puller to "roll" them off the back of the trailer.

I would think adding the rollers would eliminate the need to take the weight off the load to slide them off. The rollers would allow you to the weight straight back with minimal effort and better control...

only thing that makes me nervous about that is how to chock the rollers while logs are on there during transport and going up and down steep hills. I've got 5 utility poles already cut to the width of my trailer for this exact purpose....just real nervous about it like I said.

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago but it wasnt wood.Here's what I did and it works great.
Measure from outside of fender to outside of fender and the height of your fender.
Either scrounge up some pine logs to take to a mill or just go to a sawmill and have them cut some big timbers the width of your trailer and height of your fenders.Maybe an 8"x8" - 8' long. Use one in front and one in back of your fenders . I had mine cut 2" higher than my fenders just for some extra wiggle room. Pine is light and strong and can be stored in front or under the tractor when hauling. You can easily roll logs off trailer with a P Vee. If your afraid of banging up your tires get some oak 4x6 , 6-8 feet long for ramps to get the logs away from the trailer. This is a slick set up and shouldnt cost more than $100 for the timbers. Less if you take your own logs in. I've even thought about getting some 6" timbers and bevel the ends like a ramp to drive one side of the trailer up on for easier rolling the logs off.

Last edited:
only thing that makes me nervous about that is how to chock the rollers while logs are on there during transport and going up and down steep hills. I've got 5 utility poles already cut to the width of my trailer for this exact purpose....just real nervous about it like I said.

I have moved a lot of storage buildings fo the local Amish and your concern is a legitimate one. I tried moving one with the rollers under it and I couldn't keep the building from shifting, so the rollers came out from then on. Do you have a picture of your trailer? I built trailers for a few years and there are many styles of car haulers.

I see what you're saying...

My thought was to somehow attach rollers to the sides of the trailer, so that the rollers spin in place and are in a fixed position on your trailer. When not in use, they could be removed.

Your tractor has wheeels and it and you secure it with chains so it won't fall off, do the same with the logs. If you're that worried then weld in some stake pockets and put some steel stakes to keep the logs on. I used to use my car hauling trailer to haul logs and I just put a bunch of short ones the width of the trailer and the height of the fenders and the big longer logs on top of them the long way. I use tie down straps and lots of them and never had an issue. When I got home I took off the straps and the bigger logs rolled off the side, then I drove up a small hill and the width wise logs would roll off on their own. Later when I got home with the tractor I piled everything up. If your long logs won't roll off then make a ramp out of a big log using your chainsaw and drive 1 side of the trailer up it.
I wouldn't waste the space and weight with the utility poles, just cut some logs up and use them. New ones every load. No use hauling wood back and forth.

I say buy a good dc winch and a car battery and anchor it to a big tree and just drag the logs off the back of the trailer.

I say buy a good dc winch and a car battery and anchor it to a big tree and just drag the logs off the back of the trailer.

just drive the trailer out from under it at that point and save the winch for some other project.

Heres a little different take what about cutting so the logs fit between the fenders and building the frame work the long way with the piviot point at the rear buy the ramps. Think of a ramp truck but w/o the bed part. You could probally get away with using a good floor jack to lift the front of the frame work to get the load to roll.

Ill try and respond in 1 post here...
rollers...i.see what ur saying rollers on trailer vs my itility pole thing...one step further...if you could make the roller the whole width of trailer and raise and lower them with.a.long lever....that way logs are on deck and chained to it...then when home unchain...raise rollers and drag bundle off.

Pine logs....i have some pine timbers already...not doin anyfhing with them so i might as well try it!

Winch....ive got an 8k warn and a marine batt i use sometimes....just dont want to tear trailer up and think that would really wear on the trailer.

Think ill try using the pine timbers...securing them.to the trailer and exfending them to the edge pr kust pasr fenders......i have matl already....think that makes most sense plus its easily installed by hand and i could haul timbers and tdactor simultaneously.

Apologize for.grammar...on my phone.

Make two racks like on a log trailer with steel casters on them, then put 2 pieces of channel iron on floor of trailer to make a track, chain logs to the rack and roll off when back wheels get on the ground pull trailer forward

Make two racks like on a log trailer with steel casters on them, then put 2 pieces of channel iron on floor of trailer to make a track, chain logs to the rack and roll off when back wheels get on the ground pull trailer forward

Now thats innovative. I would need to think about it a bit more...brain is done for the day ;)

I say save up 4 a dump trailer w/ramps too load your tractor, sell your trailer to offset the cost, and dump the logs. I did this 4 a few yrs, but i now have a '11 1 ton dump instead of the dump trailer. I had 16' low profile dump trailer w ramps that I would often haul a skid or mini ex.

I'm a low tech guy. For my deuce and a half, I lay a chain across the bed and load on top of it.* When I get home, I loop the chain around the pile lasso-style hook it to another chain or rope which is anchored to something stronger or heavier than the bundle of logs and I drive out for under the bundle. For a flat bed trailer with no fenders or heavy fenders, I lay two chains across the bed and load on top of them; to unload I hook one end of each chain to the trailer frame, throw the other ends over the top and hook them to a spare vehicle (doesn't take much) and I pull (actually roll) the logs off the side of the trailer.** With my new trailer (right now too nice to bang up), I intend to cut logs to fit between the fenders and use two chains or straps lenghtwise and roll off the back. I haven't done this yet and intend to try it on short hauls and small loads first as braking with a load of logs oriented to roll forward could prove hazardous if they jump or break your front side. Ron

* I don't have anything with enough lift to load my truck so I don't do this much.

** I do the reverse to load logs that I can't lift with my tractor.

I was wondering if a single roller positioned towards the rear of the trailer would allow the logs to slide off easier when bundled, and allow the logs to be more secure during transport, since the front portion of the logs would lay on bed of trailer, as opposed to a series of rollers.

Get a grapple for the bucket or forks of your tractor, then just grapple and lift the logs off. That is what I do with my 16' float trailer and it works good enough.

I use my 16' equipment trailer (very similar to yours) to get the skid steer to the cutting site, then haul the logs back home leaving the skid steer there. When I am at home I park the trailer on a incline (traversing the hill, not climbing it) so that I can roll the logs off the side more easily.

A few things that make this a LOT easier:

- before loading I cut the limbs flush with the stem to assist rolling, also prevents punching holes in the trailer deck when loading

- no fenders and no rails (trailer frame is 8" channel), the logs roll over the tires more easily than you expect, if you have to keep the fenders then modify them to make them removeable

- put ratchets on the UPHILL side, or be ready to move out once the load is loose (good way to get crushed)

- use a peavy or cant hook to get the bottom layer rolled off

I use my 16' equipment trailer (very similar to yours) to get the skid steer to the cutting site, then haul the logs back home leaving the skid steer there. When I am at home I park the trailer on a incline (traversing the hill, not climbing it) so that I can roll the logs off the side more easily.

A few things that make this a LOT easier:

- before loading I cut the limbs flush with the stem to assist rolling, also prevents punching holes in the trailer deck when loading

- no fenders and no rails (trailer frame is 8" channel), the logs roll over the tires more easily than you expect, if you have to keep the fenders then modify them to make them removeable

- put ratchets on the UPHILL side, or be ready to move out once the load is loose (good way to get crushed)

- use a peavy or cant hook to get the bottom layer rolled off

I thought about making an angled thing I could drive trailer onto to help tilt it...all the ground where house/ logs/ shed is/ are is flat

So to sum up here's what I've concluded my realistic options are:

1. Save up 4k, sell existing trailer, get a flatbed dump trailer
2. Use pine timbers to raise floor of trailer and roll off
3. Use a roller system, bundle load together pull bundle off trailer towards rear

I'd love a dump, but just can't stomach spending the $. I think for now I'll try the pine timbers since I already have some.

Thanks to all who truly thought about this and came up with some great ideas!!! Thank you!!

Josh

Back