Trailer to fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice trailer and sounds like more than a fair deal .
A come-a-long latched at the right points may bring things inline .
New brakes are cheap and easy install .
attachment.php

Be careful of the ball on your hitch because they range from 2200lbs to 12000lbs .
I've had 7800lbs plus the trailer behind my 94 f250 and did not enjoy that trip at all . My chipper (about 3000lbs) with no brakes and a load of fire wood will get the old heart pumping on short notice stops .

Reread Dingeryote's reply , it's good advice !

I see I have some catching up to do...

banshee...what do I say to that post??? :) Thanks?...for the interest? Or sorry?...for taking so long? I'm just trying to get info from the fellas here and trying to figure out what I can make happen. I'll try not to disappoint you...I'm getting closer. It might not be exactly what I want...but it'll be close enough!

BTW...I wasn't expecting this much info on this thread...thanks to everyone that has posted!!! Lots to think about.

Kevin

Fronty, my owners manual says to have trailer brakes on 1500 lbs. (trailer and load) and up. The max. total trailer weight is at 6600 lbs. The max. I'll haul (and have done it many times with a borrowed car hauler with brakes on one axle) is 1 cord of Oak. From what I've found when looking for weights for a cord of Oak (whatever species), I use 5200 lbs., which leaves 1800 lbs. for the trailer weight. So technically, I'm about 400 lbs. over what Ford says. I do have Timbren Springs and have heavier duty shocks to keep the hind end from sagging to much. I also have a tranny cooler. I don't always have a cord on of course, but close to it. I usually ease up to speed, plan my stops in advance and start slowing down early, and I try to give myself more distance between myself and whatever vehicle I'm following. I know brakes are not required...but I feel alot better having them...even if it's on just one axle. You had mentioned brakes on the rear axle...I have read that they should go on the front axle...if I remember correctly, the Big Tex car hauler I borrow has the brakes on the front axle...I think.

I would be fixing the floor properly. Besides hauling firewood, I'd be using the trailer for hauling my mower, dirt, gravel, brush and whatever I come across that needs to be hauled. Ramps would be for the mower and loading large rounds. I don't plan on hauling cars. The friend that lets me borrow his car hauler now also has a Kubota with a FEL and a small bush hog that he says I can borrow whenever I need it...so I could haul that too.

As for the trailer rating being so low, the lack of brakes had crossed my mind...but I still thought that 4K was kinda low.

Kevin

dingeryote, good advice on the used, properly rated, truck tires. I'll have to look into that.

dancan, thanks for posting the link for the brakes. I'd have to add the drums to that cost. You mentioned the hitch ball. On a whim, I checked what was stamped on mine and it said 5K. Whups...the Lord was watching over this boy when I had the 1 cord loads behind my truck. I plan on getting this setup: Convert-A-Ball hitch systems products, hitchballs and towing accessories. They come with a 2 or 3 ball combo. I'm not sure which additional ball I'll get with the 2" one.

'Short notice stops'...life is full of surprises...good enough reason for trailer brakes with my old 1/2 ton :).

Kevin

A bit of an update...

I found out today that a very good friend of mine from church used to weld for a living and still has a welding machine and cutting torch! He also knows a fella who builds and repairs trailers and can get most any part needed (as well as steel of course). This friend has offered to help me fix the trailer and he even mentioned building me a set of ramps. More and more things seem to be falling in place for me to go for this trailer. I had wanted to start this thread a while back...but didn't want to bother y'all...glad I did now! :)

I should be seeing my friend (the trailer owner) soon and I'll see what he has in mind price wise.

Kevin

A bit of an update...

I found out today that a very good friend of mine from church used to weld for a living and still has a welding machine and cutting torch! He also knows a fella who builds and repairs trailers and can get most any part needed (as well as steel of course). This friend has offered to help me fix the trailer and he even mentioned building me a set of ramps. More and more things seem to be falling in place for me to go for this trailer. I had wanted to start this thread a while back...but didn't want to bother y'all...glad I did now! :)

I should be seeing my friend (the trailer owner) soon and I'll see what he has in mind price wise.

Kevin
Its no bother Kevin discussing different views and ideas is always good who knows maybe we will come up with the perfect wood hauler, when we put it all together. LOL Hope I have helped your search and not confused you.

Les, you've helped a lot! Nothing confusing. In fact, I've printed out a few of your PM's and posts for future reference. Thank ya! Thanks for your patience. Wish I could meet you in person and shake your hand.

Kevin

KMB,

Just kinda hit me. Shoulda said something earlier.

Ball Hitches....Great for the Bass boat and RV on paved roads.
Nice and smooth and no annoying feel or noises.

If you can tolerate the thumping and bumping, Pintle hitches rule on uneven ground and for rough duty. The Army and USMC use 'em for a reason.;)
Just one size pintle to handle most size of Lunettes, easier to line up and hook up to(Close is good enough), just one moving part that wont get sloppy or loose. Best part is, most trailer thieves wont have a pintle hook.

Colemans surplus has G.I. Pintles and Lunettes pretty cheap, and they are rated well beyond your needs.

Sounds like your Fabricator buddy and you, are gonna have some fun teaching you to cut and weld.:clap:

You're toast now...you'll never look at scrap piles the same again. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

dingeryote, thanks for adding another idea/thought to my already maxed out brain, LOL! Makes sense...but I think I'll stay with what's there already for now.

Yep, if I could weld...the projects would be endless...then I'd have to join a welding forum for more info... :).

Kevin

My goodness...I better get my carcass to bed...night all!

Kevin

I see I have some catching up to do...

banshee...what do I say to that post??? :) Thanks?...for the interest? Or sorry?...for taking so long? I'm just trying to get info from the fellas here and trying to figure out what I can make happen. I'll try not to disappoint you...I'm getting closer. It might not be exactly what I want...but it'll be close enough!

BTW...I wasn't expecting this much info on this thread...thanks to everyone that has posted!!! Lots to think about.

Kevin

dont worry i was just messing around... im excited for you , i cant wait to see what you get and see some pics of it hooked up and loaded with logs!
im with the guys who say get a used trailer, especially for hauling wood, i think used is the way to go, good luck with whatever you get, cant wait to see it :msp_thumbup:

If I had access to that trailer for that cheap I would jump at the deal. I weld (and collect "scrap" steel as a result) and would do all of the work myself. If you have access to someone that could weld I would say that is almost as good. :)

In regards to the side rails, I am of the understanding that their purpose is to prevent flexing of the angle iron frame. I would straighten those rails out provided that they were still structurally sound (not rusted away, etc).

Your truck may have a tranny cooler, but hauling a loaded trailer can still get that transmission hot. I would invest in a transmission temperature gauge.

I cannot recall what year your truck is, there should be a plug just in front of your transmission oil pan. You can remove the plug and use the hole to gain entry for the sensor. Then you just need to ground the gauge and find a KOEO live wire (behind the dash). There was a spot on my dash that I drilled out and mounted my gauge there.

I was surprised with how quickly my transmission fluid temps could get to the warning stage under the right conditions. There are some temperature charts online that will tell you the different temps that affect the transmission oil. Those charts will also tell you how fast your tranny will fail if you surpass those temps.

Ditto on braking those axles. Under normal conditions you can stop that truck and loaded trailer okay, but if you ever need to stop quickly then you are getting into a different territory.

As was stated before, get some new lights when you are rewiring it. There may be a minimum amount of lights that you need (brake, signal, clearance, etc) although there may not be a maximum. The basic rule of thumb is that whatever lights you do have all have to be in working order.

Do all of your light-work at once and then you will know for sure that your lights are good to go. Do not solder or shrink wrap any wires until you have checked the lights and their function (brake, signals). That way you won't have any work to undo if a light is not functioning properly or at all.

If you can get access to some 1/8" plate steel, think about building a lockable box just in front of your trailer bed. It will come in handy for storing your chains and load binders, and you may even have enough room left over to store your saw, gas, oil, etc.

If you plan on getting a winch in the future, build your box to accommodate the winch and battery, unless you plan on building a harness that you can run to your truck when you need it. When you are not using the wiring you can store it in your trailer's box.

Also, if you plan to haul wood that is higher than those (14"?) sides you can build some stake pockets and weld them onto your trailer. If you choose to do this, I would opt for steel stakes (instead of 2x4s) as they are less likely to break.

For moving your mower, that tractor, or anything else, figure out how many tie-down points you need and you can weld those on as well. My equipment hauler/wood hauler has some monster ones at the corners and 4 (2 on each side) part way from the front and back. The side tie-downs are for chaining down my wood so that I can run a chain across the center of 8' logs. It is a 16' trailer, but sometimes I cut the logs into 8' lengths.

For loading that tractor, it may be helpful to have some simple (and inexpensive) trailer jacks at the 2 rear corners of the trailer. You can buy the type that are pinned into a short 4" pipe. The pipes come with the jacks. When not in use the jacks can be left in that trailer box you decided to build. :)

Your trucks hauling limits are determined by a few different factors, one of which might be the fact that your truck may not have originally been equipped with a hitch system. I for one would not want to be pulling any serious weight off of a bumper mounted receiver. Hitches come in different classed from Class II or III up to Class V, with Class V being the most heavy duty.

Hitch system ratings can be found online as well. Find you one of them online charts, compare the different ratings with the heaviest load that you may be pulling, and ensure that all components of your hitch system are suitably rated.

My system is a Class V (I drive a diesel) and I have a set-up for a 2" ball (Class III as I only pull my boat trailer or my smaller utility trailer with it), and another Class V heavy bugger that holds a 2 5/16" ball. The only other ball size that I come across around here is 1 7/8", but I will just swap it in to the 2" ball set up if I ever need it. I put 2" couplers on all of my trailers, even the ones that I pull behind my quad.

This post is getting to be some past long so I will shut up for now. :D

:cheers:

Last edited:
cjcocn…wow…that post was printed off for future reference…good stuff. You didn’t have to stop…I’m all ears…well since this is the internet…all eyes. :) The bonus is you’re a fellow Canadian. It’s true that I’m here in the south right now, but home is Edmonton, Alberta and I’m still a Canadian citizen, but have my green card for here in the U.S.

My truck is a 1997 Ford F150, 4.6L V8, automatic, 4x4, supercab, shortbox, 3.55 gears. Good idea for a tranny temp gauge. I’ll have to look into that later. A lockable box and winch are also good handy ideas that will also have to be considered much later.

I’m glad you brought up the side rail heights…they’re about 12”-13” high above the wood floor. I definitely want to have a minimum of 24” high sides. I had thought about thicker plywood or hog panels like AS member jandjfirewood uses (the pics of his trailer): http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/166687.htm. I wouldn’t want them permanently attached though. How would you use stake pockets with the existing side rails in the way? I had planned to have stake pockets welded on the side of the trailer to use for tie down spots. If there is a way, I would build sides for the stake pockets, and when not using the sides, have the pockets for tie downs.

As far as hitches goes, this is the hitch I have on my truck: http://www.reeseprod.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=0&catID=1045&part=37034. As I posted earlier, I will be upgrading my 2” ball (currently rated to 5K lbs) with a convert-a-ball system. Since they come in 2 or 3 combo sets, I’m not sure if I’ll go with the extra 1-7/8” ball or 2-5/16” ball…or maybe get both.

As I mentioned earlier...feel free to pass on anymore advice/comments.

Kevin

Last edited:
I talked to my friend today, asked him what he want for his trailer, he said "a couple hundred". Done. So I'm committed...I hope I haven't got over my head in the work that I need to do.

Kevin

I talked to my friend today, asked him what he want for his trailer, he said "a couple hundred". Done. So I'm committed...I hope I haven't got over my head in the work that I need to do.

Kevin

Perfect. Just don't go driving yourself crazy with ideas like I do, lol!

Perfect. Just don't go driving yourself crazy with ideas like I do, lol!

Too late...I already have catalogs opened and print outs laying on my desk. :) Reality hits real fast when I look in my wallet, LOL! I'll get'r'dun a little at a time. First off will be tires.

Kevin

cjcocn…wow…that post was printed off for future reference…good stuff. You didn’t have to stop…I’m all ears…well since this is the internet…all eyes. :) The bonus is you’re a fellow Canadian. It’s true that I’m here in the south right now, but home is Edmonton, Alberta and I’m still a Canadian citizen, but have my green card for here in the U.S.

My truck is a 1997 Ford F150, 4.6L V8, automatic, 4x4, supercab, shortbox, 3.55 gears. Good idea for a tranny temp gauge. I’ll have to look into that later. A lockable box and winch are also good handy ideas that will also have to be considered much later.

I’m glad you brought up the side rail heights…they’re about 12”-13” high above the wood floor. I definitely want to have a minimum of 24” high sides. I had thought about thicker plywood or hog panels like AS member jandjfirewood uses (the pics of his trailer): http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/166687.htm. I wouldn’t want them permanently attached though. How would you use stake pockets with the existing side rails in the way? I had planned to have stake pockets welded on the side of the trailer to use for tie down spots. If there is a way, I would build sides for the stake pockets, and when not using the sides, have the pockets for tie downs.

As far as hitches goes, this is the hitch I have on my truck: Trailer Hitches - Reese. As I posted earlier, I will be upgrading my 2” ball (currently rated to 5K lbs) with a convert-a-ball system. Since they come in 2 or 3 combo sets, I’m not sure if I’ll go with the extra 1-7/8” ball or 2-5/16” ball…or maybe get both.

As I mentioned earlier...feel free to pass on anymore advice/comments.

Kevin

Find two sizes of square tubing that fit into each other snugly (2" and 1 1/2"??). Cut some 2" to run from your trailer frame to the top of your existing sides. Oak is heavy so you may want to have four stakes for each of the sides (8 stakes in total) to ensure that your sides will stay true.

If 2" and 1 1/2" do not fit snugly, then 1 1/4" and 1" tubing fits nicely. I am suggesting 4 stakes per side as that many should hold any lateral pressure well over the 12" height of your new sides.

Then drill one hole on each piece of 2" tubing and set them all aside. Make sure to drill on the seam side of the tubing first (or do not use the seam side - put the seam side against the trailer or to the outside). If you drill on the seam side first your drill bit won't want to "walk" when drilling through the other side.

If you have access to a drill press, use it on the 2" stake pockets - it is much easier to drill a square and true hold with a drill press as opposed to a hand drill. You will be pinning your new sides through these holes so match the drill bit size to the size of the pins you will be using.

I would only pin the front and back stakes, but drilling all stake pockets gives you options.

Next build your sides and use the 1 1/2" tubing as stakes. To evenly space 4 stakes, place one at each end and the two center ones 5' 4" from each end. That will space the stakes out evenly over the 16' length of your trailer. If your fenders are in the way, you may have to adjust your spacing.

Make sure your stakes are exactly 90° from the bottom of the sides or you will have problems with the stakes binding in the stake pockets.

Once your sides are built, clamp them onto your existing trailer sides exactly as they will sit when in use.

After the new sides are clamped to the old sides, position your 2" stake pockets where they need to be and clamp those on. If you have the welding machine close by it would be better to tack them all on to prevent any movement. Run the stake pockets on the outside of your existing sides and make them long enough so that they can be welded at the trailer bed and the top of your existing sides. This will lend more support to your new sides.

Once one side is tacked on, try removing the new sides to see if there is any binding. If there is, figure out where it is binding and adjust any stake pockets that need it. If you built your stakes at 90° there should not be any binding.

If there is no binding, weld up your stake pockets solidly and then reinsert your sides. Then use a hand drill to drill out corresponding hold on your stakes. Drill through one wall and then drill the other wall from the other side. This makes it easier to get the new holes to match up with the ones in your stake pockets.

Repeat with the other sides.

Building the sides first and then mounting the stake pockets with the sides clamped on is a good way to prevent mounting the stake pockets out of line.

If you want to build a front and rear side, follow the same routine. There are gate hinges you can buy and weld on to all corners. If you use those hinges at the top of each corner it will help prevent the corners from bowing outward.

If you go with the gate latches, build the front and rear sides completely and then mount them to your trailer. Take your new gate latches and line them up, mark their mounting locations, remove the front/rear sides and tack on your latches. Then try installing removing the front/rear sides to check for binding. Fix any problems and then you can weld those on fully.

If my explanations are not clear enough I can sketch something out and upload it tomorrow from work (high-speed connection there).

Do not leave the transmission temp gauge too long our it may cost you a transmission!

HTH

Kevin

It was this post that got me typing another long post. :)

Congrats and keep us up to date on your status. These fellas are pretty helpful and we will try to help where ever we can.

:cheers:

KMB, good luck on the trailer rebuild, I hope it works out for you. Remember to take pics along the way. I would like to sugest putting solid lumber in between your vert, supports . I think 24" sides are a little to much for that trailer, with no brakes or brakes on one axle. To be safe I would stack it to the top of your rail and maybe a little more towards the center. Keep us posted of your progress.

Beefie

KMB, you bring that trailer up my way, with a little angle iron and a cooler of Dr.Pepper and the rest will be on the house, it won't take that long. Just wait until it warms up a little. I'd run with a ball hitch on that baby.
Man, that daughter of yours is growing and cuter than ever, glad to see you posting. I'm serious on the trailer repair, got all the goodies to fix in. Welders, torch, grinders, sawall and plenty of time.lol
You got a heck of a deal.

Can't help you on the steel part, but, when it comes to the decking, here's my story about mine as told on one of the F150 boards last summer:

Full thread:
Re-decking a Utility Trailer - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Money post:

Well, about 2 1/2 hours, including the trip to the lumber yard, and $140 later the trailer is back in business.

I cut the 2x10s about 1/2" shorter than needed, inserted the forward edge into the front pocket trimming with a chisel when needed, and used a chunk of 6x6 on the front trailer axle as a fulcrum. Three 60# bags of Quickrete bent the back end of the board right down so it would go into the rear pocket. A quick hit with the Craftsman splitting maul against the 6x6 and the board popped right into position.

100_4454.jpg

I had to rip the last one down by about 1 1/4", installed it, and was done.

100_4455.jpg

Already have a load of firewood on it waiting to be unloaded!

Latest posts

Back