Training for new climbers/limited experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamtree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on training climbers with limited experience? We have some climbers that use old, proven methods and basic equipment. We just don't have any true "A" climbers that can help our group of climbers become more efficient.

You can go to climbing competitions and see what people are doing. Many of the competitors like to talk about climbing. Post videos of stuff you are trying and get feedback from this sight as well. Also we have the miracle of the YewTubes now. Here is a video I did about the French Prusik.

Most climbers I have come across use the knots and gear they were taught from the get go. I did. It wasn't until I truly fell in love with tree work that I started learning other ways, systems and knots. My first Blake's hitch after using a taut line was a revelation. I've since moved on from the Blake's to the VT. Whatever you do, don't push advancements on climbers. Explain the variations, but let a climber use what they are comfortable with. If they are looking for something better they will willingly seek the answers if they know where to look. "Old school" still works for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Eco.....I do not press them to do anything.....I encourange.....I try to tell them they are only going to learn to get better from there own desire to learn....I can't want it for them.....I just want to get them some exposure to better climbing methods.

Back