training pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is sometimes hard to see thinking in a circle of how to pit something against itself, few twist and turns i guess.

Realizing the trees and their brethren as the giants of the earth, puts us as the ants to these matchsticks. One source of power for overcoming them, would be to pit their mass and reach against itself. Using the mass as power (as we release it) and the length as leverage. Tthis turns the tables so much,that what isn't quite possible at 8' is gracefall motin at 15' length! To name all components, call them out, and strategically force more to stand on your side than against you, to turn the tables on the giant. Part of this is assembling strategies that the same choice functions favorably in several ways; and thru diffrent changes in mechanical status of the functions.

PreTightening- i sweat tension into high friction like a MF'r, then cause the spar to set the line tight as it tips down. The longer the length betwixt the hinge and the LoadHitchPoint, the more leverage to set the line! Also the more support the line gives the spar, so the hinge can hang on longer, for more pre-tightening before tearoff!

One very powerful technique for repeated pulls to same dleivery zone is a round turn on the support, and a karab with a leash on the belly of the turn. The remote karab contorl can be a release for removing the line or sweating it in. Set running bowline to half hitch, sweat in from leashed karab, sometimes impacting with bodyweight as guys pull. Impact like you don't want a log to impact a line(with proper support)! Especially a speedline, turn that all around, and impact to sweat in tight. If the round turn slowly traces back to less levraged pull on the tree, strength of system is increased. Another remote sweat location is between upper supports.

The restriction of the line on the load is a pull back, so the longer length from hinge to hitch also takes more leverage over the C.o.B. to deliver that pull to, that same length becomes a balalst to the heavier end at tearoff, for it is in 1st class lever status then, taht same length itwill also help ballast and float the head around, sometimes buteterfly light if 1st class lever is achieved before tearoff.

All this can be done and support load reduction too with high friction. But it also restricts the amount of line that can share a shock, so i don't load like that, unless i determine low class enough or...... proper flexability and strengh in Upper Support(s).

Compound this with a side sweeping swing dutchman, self torquing rig etc. and more and more things add up on your side.

edit, Very good Daniel, gives me hope that i can convey this that i have kinda talked about on the other boareds and here etc.

The trees around here are often wider than tall with many urban obsticles. In most of my rigging the limbs need to be lowered in the vertical position besause of those obsticles. So we imploy multiple anchors with the least amount of friction as posiable that way we can lift the limbs untill the load is under the anchor by using a good hinge and a but line to protect the climber and for the ground crew to pull the load where they need to. By reducing the friction I feel we have gained greater control and have limited shock loading to a minimum.

I didn't mean to imply that TreeSpyder didn't know his stuff...just that we are getting a little off topic. We started with chunkin' down a spar on line and now we are lowering into a overhead rig. But even then all comments are appreciated. :D

Dave

Originally posted by murphy4trees
And there is probably something about the center of balance of the limb that comes into play..

i think that everything you do felling a tree makes a choice, gives mechanical instruction to how the force and direction of the C.o.B. is handled.

With the shape of the tree, riding along that path around the force and direction of the C.o.B. as the force charges on.

And extending into climbing/rigging as all else does.

The footprint/shape surrounding the C.o.B. is ushered by the hinge to pivot the C.o.B.'s gravity-force and other applied pulls/pushes, to the balance of their compromise until such duties are discharged from the hinge at TearOff.

EveryTime.

IMHO

:alien:

:Eye:CounterIntuitive hmmmmmm; guess that might fit buddy, for well in rigging, other problem solving as in joking around; i try to see all sides of something (quickly, so that the other guy doesn't get my lil'butt!), even to the point of men-tall exercise. Usually not forgetting the way solutions, jokes can be found on the flip side!! Looking for that way of aligning everything so it's impact is metered and focused with desired force to target. That puts improntu artists like Johnathon Winters, Robyn Williams at the top of problem solving capability, for how many sides of sonmething that they can look at quickly and draw out a linked flowing 'assault' with maximum force to target, thinking moves ahead......... like a chess game.

That especially works well with trees as many things are that reverse 'twist'. 50# doesn't fall cuz 50# of pull is exerted automatically back by a line restricting it. So you have float. A Left side leaner, has a LeanSide to the left, but the ControlSide that tries to automatically meter enough force to balance the lean's pull is quielty working the hardest on the FlipSide of the 'joke', or CrossAxis of support, you cut a tree from one side to release it to the other. etc.

So a lot of times here the hardest working part/solution is silently waiting on the extreme FlipSide, as most leveraged position against force.

:alien:

Last edited:
So what do the Kramer people think of the GRCS now that it's been in the inventory for a while?

I too am a big believer in frictionless rigging, especialy when using The Winch where lifting and or pulling may be involved in the work.

Old school methods of high frition rigging are still applicable, particularly when the climber is self-rigging. IMO tools like 8's are harder on the ropes then bark, because of the bend radius and rope-on-rope contact.

Another situation I like to use friction in the system is when there is a load transfer being done with a tag line on The Winch. So the tag is friction free and the lowering line has some friction in it to assist in holding the load.

My point is that I never say never with old school operations (well there is that spar removal thing Ox did...) because they still have their usefull applications from time to time.

Here is an older pic showing how to yave highfriction and sweat in super tight, with better support, higher friction, lower loading.

Then slowly lever load down into this on hinge. Get it down well enough, it provides so much support, that if tied near C.o.B., heaavy green end can't leverage as well against hinge. It can be so light on the hinge, that you don't need to hinge, if ya get it right. But i like playing and examining the machine of the hinge,a nd consider it more positive, that i hinge about all of the time.

I do not mean my way is the best way or the CORRECT way this is tree care and there is no abc text to go by. My point is that the style I use has worked VERY well for myself and of course many others. With the Multiple anchors I can make the tree stronger than it is I can take large loads into small host limbs by compressing the limb instead of pulling it down but I do have an open mind. The problem with the friction is my ground crew usually yells at me for creating friction because it makes it difficult for them to control the lines because of the inconsistinsy of the force needed to acomplish what ever the situation was. Plus it is much harder for them to pull the load over obsticles. JPS, we have owmed a hopps lowering device since 89' I with I had purchased a winch a long time ago its the best, as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

Nickrosis;
Were the students instructed to take a piece that large that close to the ground or were they managing the job themselves?

Dan,

The guy in the background said "as soon as it broke, I ran out of space..."

He was refering to the viewing area of his camera not being able to capture the piece falling over.

Nothing failed in the system.

Back