Trash talkin dealers.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musch

Chainsaw Zombie
Reaction score
I have to comment on something that I have found at most saw shops that I have been to.

There is a fine line between pointing out the differences between features of different saws, and outright trashing the competition by slandering them.

This is what I have experienced at local shops.

First shop - I was at a Stihl dealer, and they were talking about how there are no old Huskys around, which is supposed to illustrate that they are not durable.

Second shop - I was at a Husky dealer, and they told me that after a big storm, guys were coming in and "giving away" Stihls for Huskys, cause they are junk.

Third shop - I was most recently at a dealer who went on and on about how his only line IS the only line, and every other brand I mentioned was either junk, or didn't compare, and after about 15 minutes, bothered to ask me what I run.
When I told him, he was kinda like, oh, well, they are all ok saws.. blah blah.

My point is this. In sales, it is never good to trash talk the competition. It looks petty, and it sounds like you are intimidated by them.
I like to compare the differences in saws both on paper and in hand.
To me a good dealer believes in his own product, and will explain why it is the best for my hard earned dollar.

I also am reluctant to deal with companies that engage in those type of sales tactics, because while they make work on some folks, overall I find it the wrong way to do business, and it makes me question their overall judgement, and ethics.

What do you guys think?

Yep

I think anyone that says this brand is better than that brand overall is either ignorant or has just smoked alot of crack. I hope to use saws from all mfg.'s someday. I think every saw company has at least one good saw, or a couple for that matter. I also think when they, or anyone else, starts trash talking, you should just tell'em to go grab an 880 Mag and then tell'em to talk some trash, lol... :biggrinbounce2: I myself, I really don't like alot of the newer saws, I hate plastic, can't help it but I do. I think you can't stack any of the newer saws up against the older ones, you could drive a truck on'em and then cut 10 cord with'em... But then again, this is coming from the same opinion that all the new trucks are really just all the recycled beer/soda cans... lmao:cheers:

I think it is bad business and demonstrates their lack of knowledge about a competitors product. I have also found that such arrogant behavior by a dealer generally means that you, the customer, will get treated like an idiot as they feel no one could possibly know as much as them...parts will be more expensive from them too! My local Stihl dealer is like that - condescending to everyone (that I have talked to) that has dealt with him, and usually quotes parts at MSRP + 10-15%. The guy is a crook.

A wise salesman knows all the products he/she sells, as well as the products that the competition sells. They know the differences, and the features that make their saws/products stand out! For instance, a good Dolmar dealer should be able to convince a potential Stihl 361 customer to buy a 5100S by explaining the Dolmar saw has fantastic anti-vibe, compare the power to weight of each saw, and then seal the deal with the MUCH lower price tag Dolmar offers.

Most dealers up here sell both, there are really only two kinds of saw and we all know it. So they don't badmouth the other one of course. Now, if you are going to listen to a dealer you are listening to the wrong guy, ask the people who use saws, day in, day out, what they think. Then just walk in and ask for the saw you hear is best, if the guy starts mouthing off, just say "I'm not asking for your opinion, are you going to sell me the saw or not?" Of course I think its lame, quality speaks for itself.

huh. I had DECIDED on a 460. I went into the local dealer I like, trust, and was asking them about working on a 460 if I bought it.

Their comment: Sure, they'd work on it. They couldn't do warrantee work though. Why didn't I go with a Dolmar?

I ended up with a Dolmar based ENTIRELY on their recommendation. I walked out that day wiht it, a new chain. For the first 6 gallons of gas the only knobs I turned were the gas fill, oil fill, and chain tensioner. The dealer did a GREAT job of setting it up to get us going.

What is going to be interesting is that the local communities are turning more and more to internet forums. If this local dealer was able to ship product nationally I would recommend them to everyone.

But Stihl and Dolmar are not sposed to sell over the 'net. Which means local crappy dealers cost them business.

If you need to drive 100 miles for parts or service, look for another brand. If you need to bash the competition to make a sale, You suck at sales, move on. The most important point is how will buying from you improve MY situation.

Four Paws said:
I think it is bad business and demonstrates their lack of knowledge about a competitors product. I have also found that such arrogant behavior by a dealer generally means that you, the customer, will get treated like an idiot as they feel no one could possibly know as much as them...parts will be more expensive from them too! My local Stihl dealer is like that - condescending to everyone (that I have talked to) that has dealt with him, and usually quotes parts at MSRP + 10-15%. The guy is a crook.

A wise salesman knows all the products he/she sells, as well as the products that the competition sells. They know the differences, and the features that make their saws/products stand out! For instance, a good Dolmar dealer should be able to convince a potential Stihl 361 customer to buy a 5100S by explaining the Dolmar saw has fantastic anti-vibe, compare the power to weight of each saw, and then seal the deal with the MUCH lower price tag Dolmar offers.

Good point Four Paws for I am such a salesman. Never bash the competiton, don't need to nor want to. As for selling 5100 over 361 I can easliy turn that around by saying I've yet to work on a 361 to date and have sold tons of them. Thats not knocking the 5100 at all but it sure opens the eyes of customers when I tell them that and its da truth 100%. I see you point out price in bold letters when in fact price means hardly nothing if you know how to sell. Fact is some people will pay the higher price thinking the product is worth every penny and for the most part it is so who am I to argue with their way of thinking,lol.

This thing of knowing all about the competition isn't really needed or required. I know what I sell, the rest are the least of my worries. Its the customers job to study every brand, not mine, I'm not the buyer, I'm the seller of what I sell and what I sell is all I need to know.

There is this thing called trash talking and I do it alot but not over brands. You'd be surprised how you can make a person laff with trash talk and sell them easliy. If you ever heard me and the customers you'd think we were having a party. Ask Ultra sometime what he's heard when he called me in the middle of a sale, its amuzing to say the least,lolol, he'll tell ya.

Fact is treat ya customer right, make em feel good, sell them what they need based on what they tell you and you got a customer for life. Brand nor money means much. Anytime a customer leaves saying to himself man that guy is pretty cool, he's alright , you got him for life..

THALL10326 said:
Good point Four Paws for I am such a salesman. Never bash the competiton, don't need to nor want to. As for selling 5100 over 361 I can easliy turn that around by saying I've yet to work on a 361 to date and have sold tons of them. Thats not knocking the 5100 at all but it sure opens the eyes of customers when I tell them that and its da truth 100%. I see you point out price in bold letters when in fact price means hardly nothing if you know how to sell. Fact is some people will pay the higher price thinking the product is worth every penny and for the most part it is so who am I to argue with their way of thinking,lol.

This thing of knowing all about the competition isn't really needed or required. I know what I sell, the rest are the least of my worries. Its the customers job to study every brand, not mine, I'm not the buyer, I'm the seller of what I sell and what I sell is all I need to know.

There is this thing called trash talking and I do it alot but not over brands. You'd be surprised how you can make a person laff with trash talk and sell them easliy. If you ever heard me and the customers you'd think we were having a party. Ask Ultra sometime what he's heard when he called me in the middle of a sale, its amuzing to say the least,lolol, he'll tell ya.

Fact is treat ya customer right, make em feel good, sell them what they need based on what they tell you and you got a customer for life. Brand nor money means much. Anytime a customer leaves saying to himself man that guy is pretty cool, he's alright , you got him for life..

You always talk trash when I call....:laugh: :laugh:

Reminds me of the guy that came in by you and trashed Stihl then wanted a discounted price....lol

Last edited:
drmiller100 said:
huh. I had DECIDED on a 460. I went into the local dealer I like, trust, and was asking them about working on a 460 if I bought it.

Their comment: Sure, they'd work on it. They couldn't do warrantee work though. Why didn't I go with a Dolmar?

I ended up with a Dolmar based ENTIRELY on their recommendation. I walked out that day wiht it, a new chain. For the first 6 gallons of gas the only knobs I turned were the gas fill, oil fill, and chain tensioner. The dealer did a GREAT job of setting it up to get us going.

What is going to be interesting is that the local communities are turning more and more to internet forums. If this local dealer was able to ship product nationally I would recommend them to everyone.

But Stihl and Dolmar are not sposed to sell over the 'net. Which means local crappy dealers cost them business.

Ya got it backwards there. Thanks to the internet and box store sales of others Stihl sales went up 12% overall this year. The rest of the small power equipment nationwide was down 9%. Interent and box store sales are what we call on your own sales meaning if it fails its yours. Stihl and Dolmar have the right idea and most buyers do too. Stihl seems to be the only one increasing every year and the rest decreasing. Sorta proves people want to be able to take it back where they bought if anything goes wrong. Kinda hard to push a saw through the same phone line where it came from.

One of the intersting things about internet sales to save a few bucks is you turn into a digit instead of a person to do it. Stihl puts a face on each and every buyer, your someone. On the net your a digit.

04ultra said:
You always talk trash when I call....:laugh: :laugh:

Reminds me of the guy that came in by you and trashed Stihl then wanted a discounted price....lol

That was funny wasn't it. He came in telling me he could buy a Husky blower and pole prunner on the net for this and that and I said well hell why are you here,lolol. He could do this and all that but when I got done I had alittle over a $1000.00 out of his pocket, teach that sucker to come messing with me,lololol

THALL10326 said:
One of the intersting things about internet sales to save a few bucks is you turn into a digit instead of a person to do it. Stihl puts a face on each and every buyer, your someone. On the net your a digit.

This I agree with 100%!!!!!!! I go see my Stihl dealer, he know my name and what saws (he thinks, it seems to change a lot:D ) I own, and what I like to buy for chains etc. Get that on the internet!!!! My Husky dealer is getting better, I don't buy a lot from them yet. Bailieys is great, but just not the same to me!!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
This I agree with 100%!!!!!!! I go see my Stihl dealer, he know my name and what saws (he thinks, it seems to change a lot:D ) I own, and what I like to buy for chains etc. Get that on the internet!!!! My Husky dealer is getting better, I don't buy a lot from them yet. Bailieys is great, but just not the same to me!!!
Andy

Brother Andrew you come on down to ole Virginy sometime and by Joe pull up a stool and sit a spell. Want a pepsi I'll go getcha one. Want to buy or talk trash, either is ok with me. Wanna talk dirty jokes, letem fire. See your a face, a person. Trust me it makes a differance. Now that I've gotcha in the shop buy a saw before ya leave or I'll burn ya house down and take all ya beer,lolol. See thats trash talk, nothing to do with brands at all, just good ole fun.....

drmiller100 said:

I'm assuming you bought a 7900. You did well. Interesting comment about NOT doing warranty work on the 460. Wonder why? Not that it really matters since 460's only carry a 6 month warranty (which is definitely not a selling point if you're a dealer trying to sell a saw to someone not already familiar with its bulletproof reputation).

litefoot said:
I'm assuming you bought a 7900. You did well. Interesting comment about NOT doing warranty work on the 460. Wonder why? Not that it really matters since 460's only carry a 6 month warranty (which is definitely not a selling point if you're a dealer trying to sell a saw to someone not already familiar with its bulletproof reputation).

Warranty on the 460 is 90days, not six months. I'm assuming he went to a Dolmar dealer which means true, they couldn't do the warranty work on the 460. Now if I'm selling Dolmar and a man wants a Stihl hell I'll be the first to say yeah I'll work on it but I can't do any warranty work on it. Why would I say such a thing, go figure,lolol

litefoot said:

i like the dealer. they don't sell stihl or husky or redmax or deere. but they'll work on any of them. they have a little trouble getting stihl parts apparently, but they are happy to work on them for me.

like the other guy said, the original cost of the machine is somewhat not that important if you plan to keep ti for a few years. Even less important if you plan to make money with it.

When it came right down to it, I would have bought whatever that dealer sold, although I doubt I'm gonna trade the deere 737 in on a snapper.

clearance said:
Most dealers up here sell both, there are really only two kinds of saw and we all know it. So they don't badmouth the other one of course. Now, if you are going to listen to a dealer you are listening to the wrong guy, ask the people who use saws, day in, day out, what they think. Then just walk in and ask for the saw you hear is best, if the guy starts mouthing off, just say "I'm not asking for your opinion, are you going to sell me the saw or not?" Of course I think its lame, quality speaks for itself.

Good post there Clearance and it would be great if customers walked in the door and said exactly what they wanted. They wouldn't have to say are you going to sell me the saw or not. Unfortantly most customers aren't going to ask others about saws, to most a saw is no big deal, they just want a decent saw. Had a guy a few weeks back tell me I've come to buy a "real" saw for a change. I said whatcha mean. He said he had bought 5 el cheapo Poulans in the last 5 years and not one lasted over a year. My reply was what Stihl do you want,lolol. Got himself a 361 and was a happy camper and I know he'll be a happy camper for a longggggggggggggggg time with that saw..

Last edited:
drmiller100 said:
i like the dealer. they don't sell stihl or husky or redmax or deere. but they'll work on any of them. they have a little trouble getting stihl parts apparently, but they are happy to work on them for me.

like the other guy said, the original cost of the machine is somewhat not that important if you plan to keep ti for a few years. Even less important if you plan to make money with it.

When it came right down to it, I would have bought whatever that dealer sold, although I doubt I'm gonna trade the deere 737 in on a snapper.

Your right 100%. Although they wouldn't have any problem getting Stihl parts but they wouldn't like going to get them, can't order them or buy them online. I wouldn't like having to do that either, can't blame them at all, major pain in the butt.
You bought a good saw from what I've been told. The 7900 gets great reviews....

I wish there were saw dealers like you guys around here, seriously.
I love to sit and shoot the bull, I just don't need to hear the crap about the competition. I do a lot of research on my own, and try to educate myself about things I am interested in.
I reward those type of businesses with a lot of money.
Local gun dealer for instance. :jester:

musch said:
My point is this. In sales, it is never good to trash talk the competition. It looks petty, and it sounds like you are intimidated by them.
I like to compare the differences in saws both on paper and in hand.
To me a good dealer believes in his own product, and will explain why it is the best for my hard earned dollar.

I also am reluctant to deal with companies that engage in those type of sales tactics, because while they make work on some folks, overall I find it the wrong way to do business, and it makes me question their overall judgement, and ethics.

What do you guys think?

I have seen more saw shops and OPE dealers that are truly ignorant of their competitors' products than you can imagine. I've only known two saw shops that were actually competent in this area. In both instances, the owners were business people who are intelligent and articulate. They trust their customers (well, the ones who know what they're talking about), they are always willing to learn or to try out a customer's saw from a competing brand, and are honest in their dealings with their customers because they recognize the value of reciprocal respect. They are a pleasure to work with.

And then there's the rest.

Now I am no expert when it comes to saws, but I have picked up some knowledge from running them and from hanging around here. I have no interest whatsoever in hearing the foolish ramblings of an OPE dealer employee who is a straight-up idiot. For me, dealing with a dealer like this is a negative-value-added experience.

I think that a lot of younger guys go into OPE sales because, frankly, they have no marketable skills and are willing to work for peanuts to be around power equipment all day. This doesn't seem to be the case for the old-timers, though. The younger guys tend to be dumb as dirt and are usually white trash, and it shows. These are the same sort of folks who work at gun stores and carry on like idiots there - Kimber's pistols are not pounded together with a 5lb hammer when they mis-machine parts; yes, Glocks do break sometimes; and, I hate to break it to ya, but having thirty-seven "tactical accessories" hanging off your AR15 doesn't make you look like anything other than an juvenile idiot, which is made even worse when you can't even put five rounds in a 5" circle at 50 yards.

When it's all said and done, the guys who know their stuff tend not to need to prove the strength of their knowledge in overt ways. Badmouthing competing products, making obviously outlandish statements and claims, and belittling the customer are all bad signs that the salesperson (or store) is not particularly competent. The guys who know their stuff FIRST listen to what the customer has to say and what his stated needs are, then responds to it and asks follow-up questions as needed. He establishes a dialogue that serves to connect the customer with the best possible solution to his concerns in a calm, respectful fashion. The customer leaves happy, more knowledgeable than when he came in, and with the confidence that he can come back and receive good service and advice again in the future. The salesperson also comes away happy, having earned the respect and future business of a new customer.

It doesn't seem that hard to do.

computeruser said:
I have seen more saw shops and OPE dealers that are truly ignorant of their competitors' products than you can imagine. I've only known two saw shops that were actually competent in this area. In both instances, the owners were business people who are intelligent and articulate. They trust their customers (well, the ones who know what they're talking about), they are always willing to learn or to try out a customer's saw from a competing brand, and are honest in their dealings with their customers because they recognize the value of reciprocal respect. They are a pleasure to work with.

And then there's the rest.

Now I am no expert when it comes to saws, but I have picked up some knowledge from running them and from hanging around here. I have no interest whatsoever in hearing the foolish ramblings of an OPE dealer employee who is a straight-up idiot. For me, dealing with a dealer like this is a negative-value-added experience.

I think that a lot of younger guys go into OPE sales because, frankly, they have no marketable skills and are willing to work for peanuts to be around power equipment all day. This doesn't seem to be the case for the old-timers, though. The younger guys tend to be dumb as dirt and are usually white trash, and it shows. These are the same sort of folks who work at gun stores and carry on like idiots there - Kimber's pistols are not pounded together with a 5lb hammer when they mis-machine parts; yes, Glocks do break sometimes; and, I hate to break it to ya, but having thirty-seven "tactical accessories" hanging off your AR15 doesn't make you look like anything other than an juvenile idiot, which is made even worse when you can't even put five rounds in a 5" circle at 50 yards.

When it's all said and done, the guys who know their stuff tend not to need to prove the strength of their knowledge in overt ways. Badmouthing competing products, making obviously outlandish statements and claims, and belittling the customer are all bad signs that the salesperson (or store) is not particularly competent. The guys who know their stuff FIRST listen to what the customer has to say and what his stated needs are, then responds to it and asks follow-up questions as needed. He establishes a dialogue that serves to connect the customer with the best possible solution to his concerns in a calm, respectful fashion. The customer leaves happy, more knowledgeable than when he came in, and with the confidence that he can come back and receive good service and advice again in the future. The salesperson also comes away happy, having earned the respect and future business of a new customer.

It doesn't seem that hard to do.

Listen at you, dayummmmmmmmm. Referring to people as "white trash", "dumb as dirt", what the hell kind of remarks are those? Those same white trash kids your talking about may save your kids life someday. Some of those white trash kids your talking about work part time in shops and work at the fire house at nites for free. I guess if one of them yanks your sorry azz out of a burning car you won't consider them white trash anymore huh. Buddy you need to take a hike.

Back