Trash talkin dealers.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trigger-Time said:
He was the all time greatest

Wasn't Ali the guy that once said he was so fast he turned off the bedroom light, took and shower and was in the bed asleep before the room got dark,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Poor old feller isn't trash talking anymore though.

Urbicide said:
Yep. I think Thall's last avatar was Robin Williams done up as Popeye the sailor man. "I eats all my spinach, I fight to the finish,...." :D

LOLOL, naaaaaaaaaaaaa no fight in me, I'll spar with ya but not to hurt ya. Ask ole Treeco, he'll tell ya. Him and me went about 1000 posts once and we dogged each other to no end and shoot I'm expecting that orenry sucker to stop by the shop one of these days so we can talk saws.

THALL10326 said:

That word is king in my book. Respect. It just sounds good to say. I hate to feel like I've been "sold" anything, even tho I know it happens. Makes me feel just a bit used. I tried to be a salesman once. I always felt like I was trying to talk someone out of their money, even tho it might not be in their best interest. I couldn't do it.

Ian

THALL10326 said:
LOL, buy the best and forget the rest. Some tell me Husky is the best. I say ya wanna Husky well ya just aint lucky, no huskies here,hehe. Its all in fun and most saw guys like having some fun when shopping for a new saw. I do get the prime and proper crowd as well and I become prime and proper right with them. Seems though for the most part once people get to know each other they all like alittle trash talk. I know I got a slew of them that not only like it they bring it to me. I say bring it on,lolol

Trash talk has always been around, some of the old timers trash
talked horses, dogs, hogs, cattle, tractors, pickups and guns
just to name a few. My dad owned a full service gas station, I was
there all the time this was in the late 60's. You want to talk about
trash talk, boy howdy they could do it, It got pretty hot some times
but they just had fun most of the time. As long as there is more
than one make or model, there will be trash talk! If we stay men enough
to do it.

Haywire Haywood said:
That word is king in my book. Respect. It just sounds good to say. I hate to feel like I've been "sold" anything, even tho I know it happens. Makes me feel just a bit used. I tried to be a salesman once. I always felt like I was trying to talk someone out of their money, even tho it might not be in their best interest. I couldn't do it.

Ian

100% correct, respect is most important. If ya don't respect your customer and treat him or her good they will take their business elsewhere real quick. As for selling someone there are several things involved to make sure they don't walk out thinking they got sold. My way is more of making them want what they want enough to buy it. Meaning they want that 460 but just can't bring themselves to want it enough to buy it. Its my job to point out everything about it and hopefully they will say I'll take it, I want it. Main thing is not to push. Very few customers are gonna be pushed, they want to be lead, not pushed, thats where respect comes in the most..

Trigger-Time said:
Trash talk has always been around, some of the old timers trash
talked horses, dogs, hogs, cattle, tractors, pickups and guns
just to name a few. My dad owned a full service gas station, I was
there all the time this was in the late 60's. You want to talk about
trash talk, boy howdy they could do it, It got pretty hot some times
but they just had fun most of the time. As long as there is more
than one make or model, there will be trash talk! If we stay men enough
to do it.

Exactly, its been around for years. Nothing wrong with alittle trash talk and teasing and carring on. I got some guys that come in to trash talk only. They aren't buying anything and I don't care. Its fun and makes the day goes by as well. Sometimes I'll get a guy with a old saw like a Homelite I have no parts for. They go well hell. I say when in doult throw it out. Be surprised how many new saws I've sold with that line and they came in with a new saw on on their mind anyway. They just needed alittle help.

musch said:
I have to comment on something that I have found at most saw shops that I have been to.

There is a fine line between pointing out the differences between features of different saws, and outright trashing the competition by slandering them.

This is what I have experienced at local shops.

First shop - I was at a Stihl dealer, and they were talking about how there are no old Huskys around, which is supposed to illustrate that they are not durable.

Second shop - I was at a Husky dealer, and they told me that after a big storm, guys were coming in and "giving away" Stihls for Huskys, cause they are junk.

Third shop - I was most recently at a dealer who went on and on about how his only line IS the only line, and every other brand I mentioned was either junk, or didn't compare, and after about 15 minutes, bothered to ask me what I run.
When I told him, he was kinda like, oh, well, they are all ok saws.. blah blah.

My point is this. In sales, it is never good to trash talk the competition. It looks petty, and it sounds like you are intimidated by them.
I like to compare the differences in saws both on paper and in hand.
To me a good dealer believes in his own product, and will explain why it is the best for my hard earned dollar.

I also am reluctant to deal with companies that engage in those type of sales tactics, because while they make work on some folks, overall I find it the wrong way to do business, and it makes me question their overall judgement, and ethics.

What do you guys think?

Look at your collection. Both a Husky and a Stihl. Either "stupid and brilliant", or "brilliant and stupid", or the owner of some really nice saws...and some other saws...:laugh: I'm the same way. My crappy Stihl dealer made some comment bagging on Huskies. When I told him I had a 3120, he wanted to make a snide comment, but didn't. He did make a plug for an 088, but I got him back with being able to use my Stihl bars on the 3120 AND the 066. He proceeded to shut up. Slow on the uptake. Trash a Dolmar and you may trash my next saw. Not going to get my business.

My new "good" Stihl dealer asked me about my saws. What did he say when I mentioned my 3120? "Man, what a monster...not an 088, but a cool saw though"...with a smile...a "troublemaker's grin." I offered to bring in a picture of it with a Stihl bar on it. He laughed.

Don't burn bridges when you sell something, good customers are hard to come by, and those who are treated badly tell the most people.

Mark

oldsaw said:
Look at your collection. Both a Husky and a Stihl. Either "stupid and brilliant", or "brilliant and stupid", or the owner of some really nice saws...and some other saws...:laugh: I'm the same way. My crappy Stihl dealer made some comment bagging on Huskies. When I told him I had a 3120, he wanted to make a snide comment, but didn't. He did make a plug for an 088, but I got him back with being able to use my Stihl bars on the 3120 AND the 066. He proceeded to shut up. Slow on the uptake. Trash a Dolmar and you may trash my next saw. Not going to get my business.

My new "good" Stihl dealer asked me about my saws. What did he say when I mentioned my 3120? "Man, what a monster...not an 088, but a cool saw though"...with a smile...a "troublemaker's grin." I offered to bring in a picture of it with a Stihl bar on it. He laughed.

Don't burn bridges when you sell something, good customers are hard to come by, and those who are treated badly tell the most people.

Mark

Good point Oldsaw. Its a well known fact if you treat a customer good, real good or even great they may tell one or two friends about it. If on the other hand you treat a customer badly, make them feel made fun of or simply rub them the wrong way they will tell the the whole town. Studies were done about that and they claim on average a customer will tell one or two people about being treated good and one treated bad on average tells 12 people. Good post Oldsaw, good indeed.

THALL10326 said:
Good point Oldsaw. Its a well known fact if you treat a customer good, real good or even great they may tell one or two friends about it. If on the other hand you treat a customer badly, make them feel made fun of or simply rub them the wrong way they will tell the the whole town. Studies were done about that and they claim on average a customer will tell one or two people about being treated good and one treated bad on average tells 12 people. Good post Oldsaw, good indeed.

I work a territory with a limited number of dealers to sell to. I've only opted to quit doing business with one of them in 9 years. Can't afford many more than that. He was a whiner who didn't pay his bill. Had to spend way too much time sweet talking the credit manager to free up stuff so he could pay his bill.

Mark

Hmmmm

I have worked at and sold several different brands of saws and trimmers/brushcutters.

Stood by and said nothing while a salesperson badmouthed weedeater trimmers while trying to sell the same trimmer colored orange and purple.

Stood by while a salesperson refused to even let a customer leave a Ryan trimmer for parts while selling him the same internal parts in an Orange and White cover housing.

All manufacturers make good and bad products at times....

and careful design and testing can yield results that are incredibly different using the exact same parts.

Amen

Haywire Haywood said:
That word is king in my book. Respect.
Amen to that! When my younguns' had a problem - really didn't matter what it was about - I would throw that word at them. It really is relevant, and goes to the heart of all manner of conflicts.

spacemule
"I don't like anybody! There, top that!
"

OK! I don't like anybody....more than you do/don't....know what I mean??:laugh:

Every time a "dealer" thread comes up, I'm always taken aback at how good my dealer is. I have yet to have a complaint about them. They're a Stihler dealership, but they'll sit there all day long and tell you that Huskys are fine saws too, and they're happy to work on them.

I guess I'm just lucky....:rolleyes:

Thall, you sound like a great dealer. That word "sucker" just leapt out at me through the beer goggles last night. I think I need to clean the lenses. :biggrinbounce2:

Ian

Yip

fishhuntcutwood said:
Every time a "dealer" thread comes up, I'm always taken aback at how good my dealer is. I have yet to have a complaint about them. They're a Stihler dealership, but they'll sit there all day long and tell you that Huskys are fine saws too, and they're happy to work on them.

I guess I'm just lucky....:rolleyes:

I guess I can't say anything about mine either, he sells and services both, lol. How's he gonna knock the competition when he's got them both on his floor??? :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
THALL10326 said:
Where'd ya post go. I got the automatic e-mail showing me your post but its not here, did ya delete it?

Yeah I posted a rebuttal, but after re-thinking it I thought that (a) I may step on computeruser's toes by defending him - next thing you know, we'd be going to Applebee's or something; and (b) most sites have rules against defending the site or posts thereon - it's th emoderator or admin's job - I didn't want to cross a line and wind up in jail.

Every time a "dealer" thread comes up, I'm always taken aback at how good my dealer is.
Your lucky.
IME most dealers are ignorant of what they sell. I got a good one for Husky, but not for Stihl. The Stihl dealer I used went under and the only other one around is a rental place thats staffed by idiots.

Back