Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrapped that idea. I'd have to go buy a taller ladder just to pull leaves. Nope.
But, all that talk about sawz-alls in that pruning thread put me in the mood to do some cutting. :) ...and it's still just 68° :happybanana:
Cut down all but one of the little white oaks, got some other things trimmed up and cut down.
Those poplars are about twice too much for my sawz-all or I'd cut all of them down too. Red buds and paulownias need to go now, too.

It's just too depressing to look at this mess.

F. :mad:That sprayer just drove past the house again.
Video him and call police next time and keep documenting. This already happened twice is it?

What? Him spraying the 24D herbicide? Twice.
Don't know if the second time caused any damage - everything is so mucked up from the first time, it would be hard to tell.
Well he is not going to spray 24D on growing beans so that could have only been once. A second application could have been any number of things. The fungicide will most likely be for spider mites

If he does apply a fungicide it will very likely have a very strong odor. . I would personally keep my pets inside, close your windows and turn on the AC if you need to. It will take a few hours to die down

Well he is not going to spray 24D on growing beans so that could have only been once. A second application could have been any number of things. The fungicide will most likely be for spider mites
I am incorrect it would not be for spider mites as that would be an insecticide. A fungicide could be for any number of things

Update.
The kid from the ins. company just called.
He told me he called the county ext. agent and was told by them the trees will be just fine.
He's the same guy who passed me off on the DoA.
I'm calling him right now.
Well take pics of the dead trees you got a hell of a conflict of interest going on there. Sounds crooked.

Lime-sulfur, and calcium polysulfide are also OG fungicides.
2,4-D is a growth hormone and it is sometime sprayed on beans at 2-3 oz. a.i. per acre to alter the growth of beans without killing them. If you wanted broad leaf weed control, the application rate would be 10x higher and the higher application rate would also kill the beans.

Why was there a "shortage" of only the good stuff this year?
Same reason there was a shortage of other products. Your right, chemical producers may have stocks of the "less desirable chemical" that were approved for use but farmer were forced to use the "less desirable chemical." because of price or availability.

So you think my "theory" may be accurate... that the "shortage" of the good stuff was fabricated (by the chemical companies) to ensure increased sales and reduce inventories of the "less desirable chemical?"
No I don't subscribe to the "shortage" of the good stuff was fabricated. China is a major glyphosate exporter in the world. Over 80% of China-made glyphosate is exported to account for over 60% of the global supply.

You see the problem, ships backed, some for 3 months, waiting to unload, pandemic in US and China and the rest of the world. There are many factors concerning the inflation of price, be it fabricated or genuinely short supply.

As an end user the applicator has to weight the price and availability of a product. EPA restrictions drove production off shore but did nothing because it still came back and we sprayed it all over our fields. Another useless EPA restriction not understanding what the consequence were going to be.

It is tough to explain as I am far from a chemist but I would not classify 24d as a product. I would call it an ingredient. Many herbicides contain it

The good news is China has ramped up production of glyphosate, the patent for glyphosate went off in 2000 and that's when China started producing glyphosate. The 24-d is produced all over the world and was in oversupply which made it cheaper and available, with short supply and high price for glyphosate applicators switched to 24-d. The price of glyphosate is dropping fast in the world market so maybe the problems from using 24-d will be over next year. When they used glyphosate it doesn't seem to have been a problem. China produced much of the world supply of 24-d and exported 60% of the product they produced.

That's what I've read.
Would that be the Bayer plant across the river in Iowa? I think that's what I saw on the map?
Yesterday, when we were speaking in hypothetical terms, the ag agent specifically named Bayer when explaining the chemical approval process.

I've never heard about any coming from, let alone 80%, China. Have you?
Do you know who makes and where they make the 24D?
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/24Dgen.html . Some good info on 2,4-D for in this link. Pay attention to where it talks about half life of the herbicide. It also mentions over a 1,000 products sold in the US with 2,4-D in them. If you walk into 3 different farm stores to buy it you will more than likely find it was made by 3 different mfgs. I think usage of different chemicals for weed control comes from the fact that weeds have built up a tolerance to some herbicides like roundup and are no longer effective.

All that seed comes from basically one supplier. Right? You've got Round-Ready seed, Dicamba resistant seed, and 24D resistant seed.
If you are referring to the seed we plant then not at all. All the seed does not come from the same supplier. Not even close. It is very true that there is not near the amount of seed companies out there as there were years ago. The big guys have swallowed them up. Now if you are talking about the genetics of the seed then yes some of that is shared. There is still huge competition in the seed market but not as many competitors. I will give you an example. One of the most widely known names in seed corn is Pioneer. They have been looked upon as the "cadillac" of seed for years. I will assure you that the Pioneer seed corn you buy and plant in northern Minnesota is not the same as what you buy and plant in Mississippi. The seed is very regional based on climate. It is grown (produced ) regionally to be planted regionally with some exceptions. Here is an example. If you are farming in northern Minnesota the growing season is shorter. You plant later and harvest earlier with cooler summers.. If you plant corn in Mississippi you have a much longer growing season with hotter temps. The relative maturity of corn in Minnesota may be as low as 75 days whereas in Mississippi I honestly do not know. Here where I am most plant a 118-122 day corn with some exceptions. It all comes down to GDU's which are growing degree days (units). The corn seed you plant in Minnesota will burn up in Mississippi and the seed planted in Mississippi will never mature before freeze in Minnesota. In general the seed you plant was grown in your region. There are exceptions in that some is grown in temperate climates such as Hawaii and South America. That is generally done when there is a failure in the continental US during the seed growing season. I can go into a lot more detail but that sums it up.

One last example is some seed companies are very regional and no one outside that region has heard of them. An example would be Wyffells. They are based about 60 miles from here and I doubt many have heard of them. I talked with my brother on Sunday and he host a cover crop/conservation field day a few weeks back and the owner of Wyffells was here to look around.

That is not exact but gives a rough sketch

S
I've already posted that link. :)
And the half-life information is nebulous, to say the least.

What happens to 2,4-D in the environment?

2,4-D goes through different changes in the environment depending on its form. Most of the time, 2,4-D breaks down in soil so that half of the original amount is gone in 1-14 days. This breakdown time is called the "half-life" of the pesticide. One form of 2,4-D, the butoxyethyl ester, had a much longer half-life in aquatic sediment of 186 days.

2,4-D is broken down by bacteria in water and in soil. Water alone can also break down 2,4-D. 2,4-D has been found at low levels in shallow groundwater and streams in both rural and urban areas

If this were completely accurate and true, then why are my gourd leaves and the paulownia sprout showing 24D damage when neither had direct leaf contact with, and supposedly that is the intended method of delivering the chemical to the plant, the actual chemical spray that fell from the sky?

Another question no one has been able to answer is, How long does the synthetic auxin stay in the plant/tree?
I've read, and been told, that it "metabolizes quickly."
If that's the case, then how was the DoA inspector able to get a definite confirmation of 24D from the leaf samples he collected nearly three weeks after the spraying? (Correction: it was four weeks after spraying)
And, why is there 24D in forest leaf litter 3 years after initial contact?
Sorry I missed that you posted that link. Not knowing the formulation exactly that the farmer sprayed makes it hard to answer some of your guestions. A lot of variables can make a spray mix react differently. Hard or soft water,air temperature or what additives were mixed with the chemical. Almost all the instructions that come with the chemical warn the applicator of those hazards. I look up the half life of every chemical I use or think about using. It's a must know for anyone spraying.

Thank you, that was interesting.
Well I am sure some will argue with it but that pretty much in a nutshell is how the seed corn business is, As for beans I am not 100% sure but I believe they run about groups 1 through 8 in maturity. In this region we plant anywhere from a group 2.5 to 4.0 depending on timing. I have pushed double cropping hard and now it is started to catch on (NOTHING TO DO WITH ME) We are on a real fringe for double cropping and as crazy as it is corn sometimes works out better over beans.

Latest posts

Back