Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that's the point I was trying to make earlier - no one wants to use the 24D ester. But this year, they had to.
Intentional kill of a tree, full strength. Unintentional repeated dosing of diluted amounts will also kill the tree, in fact, I think I read that repeated smaller doses will have a greater negative impact than a single dose.
FYI-all applications of chemicals applied by the farmer and or commerical applicators have to have a application report noting all the chemicals with a regristration number and dosage

Where is the @Mad Professor on this?

I hate to admit it, but when it comes to the stuff that burns, bubbles or smokes, I’m beat.

Wow, I REALLY hate to admit it, but qualifications are qualifications, and I don’t have ‘em like that mad bastard does, lol.

Credit where it’s due eh?
I'm done being denigrated.

Don't cry wolf to me.

FYI-all applications of chemicals applied by the farmer and or commerical applicators have to have a application report noting all the chemicals with a regristration number and dosage
That is simply not correct UNLESS that is some state law which I highly doubt. The two main chemicals discussed here in this thread are 2-4-D and Glyphosate. Dicamba has also been discussed and is a major "drifter" but the poster is pretty certain it was 2-4-D Neither 2-4-D or glyphosate are restricted use herbicides, no recordkeeping required, and can be bought and applied by anyone. A 17 year old kid can buy and apply it but cannot buy a can of spray paint. I believe you are thinking of restricted use herbicides

I assumed he was talking about how the farmer has to keep records of what he sprays, when, and where, date, time, temp, etc.. for the dept. of ag?
Why would he? It is not a restricted use herbicide. I have known many a farmers who sprayed many an acre with 24D , Glyphosate, and many others that keep ZERO records and were NOT legally required to

Why would he? It is not a restricted use herbicide. I have known many a farmers who sprayed many an acre with 24D , Glyphosate, and many others that keep ZERO records and were NOT legally required to

I had a turf and ornamental applicators license for 20 years and we had to keep records of everything we sprayed, restricted use or not.

Steve,

I can see how my post was taken a bit out on context. I am not a variety expert but the tomato is by nature a indeterminate plant. If you look at the heirloom varieties I believe you will find that but heck I may be wrong. When you are planting them in a home garden they will continue to set fruit until they cannot due to freeze. I grew up raising tomatoes for commercial production. I was not around when we personally raised tomatoes for Heinz as we stopped in about 1970. I was most certainly involved until the bitter end of all Heinz tomatoes in 1991. After we stopped raising for Heinz around 1970 we were started only selling to home canners and supplied all the fresh tomatoes in the supermarkets of a town of about 22,000. The Heinz plants were determinate to a point but not completely hence the spraying. The 1357 was one of theirs they wanted pushed. When we were all fresh market I can assure you they were indeterminate. We had one variety for fresh market and one" for canning. A good portion of our business was "pick your own" Grandpa would just put a ad in the newspaper and folks would come out and pick. Now no one came out to pick just a few but they came for canning. We charged 35 cents a pound for eating fruit if they only wanted a few but I do not think anyone ever did that. We charged $3.50 a bushel if you picked them and $4 if we (my brother and I) picked them. The top quality fruit that went to the grocery stores was at 30 cents a pound and they sold it for 99 cents. As the season would start to wind down we would "bush hog" off the plants but some still set fruit til it froze. I can remember seeing folks go out in the sections we had mowed and still pick fruit. We finally wrapped it all up in the late 1980's as the supermarkets were not satisfied with getting them for 30 cents anymore and tripling the price

You've been farming since you were a puppy, haven't you?

I gave you this advice on page ONE of this thread.
... Whether the observed damage was caused by heat or herbicides, water those trees!

I'm seriously thinking of asking the guys at the fire dept, to come hose down the yard.
I've been hoping for rain, but none in sight going on two weeks and it's extremely hot. The ag man even asked if we've had any rain since he noticed the field corn crops are looking rough. I noticed that myself, that the leaves are pointy.

The ag agent was the second one to recommend watering everything... but it would be impossible for me to "water" over 150 trees/plants on 2.5 acres with a garden hose. He even suggested soaker hoses. I'd have to buy miles of them. :rolleyes:
One firehouse is right next to the cemetery, but I'm going to the other one five miles up the road.
I called the fire chief at the close one last week, left a message, and he never called me back.

I'm trying to get my courage up.
Wish me luck.

And it only took you 52 pages to come to the conclusion that watering might be beneficial. I guess I need to publish my bonafides on every topic to your satisfaction before you consider my advice.

I had a turf and ornamental applicators license for 20 years and we had to keep records of everything we sprayed, restricted use or not.
Says who? Who told you you are legally required to keep any such record of any herbicide that is not a restricted use? Who has asked you for those records. I got my first private pesticide license just about the the first year they were required. I was 16 and that was 1988. I got it as my father did not want to take the time away from work. I had no issue skipping school to go take a pesticide test. Not one single time have I ever been asked for any records of any pesticides applied whether it be restricted use or not. The simple fact is there are ZERO restrictions on the purchase and application of a non-restricted use herbicide (as long as you follow label directions) When you take your test they may try to tell you that there is but the simple fact is it is not required by law. Do you honestly think Jill Johnson buying Scotts weed and feed and applying it to her lawn is legally required to keep a record? When folks spray Ortho Liquid Sevin on their garden are they? The fact is 24D and Glyphosate are no restricted use herbicides, you do not need an applicator license to purchase or apply them and therefore are NOT subject to any rules outlined by the law governing restricted use pesticides. Have you ever been asked for ID to purchase them.

https://www.epa.gov/ingredients-used-pesticide-products/24-d

Says who? Who told you you are legally required to keep any such record of any herbicide that is not a restricted use? Who has asked you for those records. I got my first private pesticide license just about the the first year they were required. I was 16 and that was 1988. I got it as my father did not want to take the time away from work. I had no issue skipping school to go take a pesticide test. Not one single time have I ever been asked for any records of any pesticides applied whether it be restricted use or not. The simple fact is there are ZERO restrictions on the purchase and application of a non-restricted use herbicide (as long as you follow label directions) When you take your test they may try to tell you that there is but the simple fact is it is not required by law. Do you honestly think Jill Johnson buying Scotts weed and feed and applying it to her lawn is legally required to keep a record? When folks spray Ortho Liquid Sevin on their garden are they? The fact is 24D and Glyphosate are no restricted use herbicides, you do not need an applicator license to purchase or apply them and therefore are NOT subject to any rules outlined by the law governing restricted use pesticides. Have you ever been asked for ID to purchase them.

Says the people who can yank your application license. You also have to show proof of insurance to renew your license. It's the law when you do it for pay. Georgia pest control applicants must be at least 18 years old with a high school diploma or GED.

Licensed applicators have to keep records of every application, restricted use or not. That's how it is in Georgia and how it was in Delaware when I lived there.

Says the people who can yank your application license. You also have to show proof of insurance to renew your license. It's the law when you do it for pay. Georgia pest control applicants must be at least 18 years old with a high school diploma or GED.

Licensed applicators have to keep records of every application, restricted use or not. That's how it is in Georgia and how it was in Delaware when I lived there.

So what you are telling me is that 2-4-D and Glyphosate are restricted use herbicides in Georgia? If so go back and read what I said in post #1075

Here is some information. https://agr.georgia.gov/pesticides-faqs.aspx I do not have the time to do all the research but just the firsts 60 seconds sums it up well

Bill here is the very first sentence from the link that you provided.

It is exactly what I am saying.

"An individual must obtain the appropriate type of pesticide applicator license in order to purchase, use, or supervise the use of a restricted use pesticide, or any general use or restricted use pesticide when providing pesticide applications for a fee."

Bill here is the very first sentence from the link that you provided.

It is exactly what I am saying.

"An individual must obtain the appropriate type of pesticide applicator license in order to purchase, use, or supervise the use of a restricted use pesticide, or any general use or restricted use pesticide when providing pesticide applications for a fee."

Read what you just posted and EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE SAID. Your own post says .............. the appropriate type of pesticide applicator license in order to purchase, use, or supervise the use of a restricted use pesticide,................. I am not sure what you are missing. Did you read what I said in 1075 and 1087

Read what you just posted and EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE SAID. Your own post says .............. the appropriate type of pesticide applicator license in order to purchase, use, or supervise the use of a restricted use pesticide,................. I am not sure what you are missing. Did you read what I said in 1075 and 1087
he isn't missing anything, you cut it off:
"....or any general use or restricted use pesticide when providing pesticide applications for a fee".

Commercial applications are restricted regardless of the product. I can't go to Walmart and buy a bag of weed and feed and charge my neighbor a nickle to apply it without a license, business license, insurance, and proper record keeping.

I could, however, go to the co-op and buy a 275 gallon tote of RoundUp and apply the whole thing to my own quarter acre lot with no record keeping.

I would think both of you know you are both right, just talking about 2 different circumstances???

Any opinions, on a bad China batch of herbicide? Remember the stuff they sold as pet food? Chi-Coms don't give a damm.......

Depending on manufacturing method/conditions 2,4,5-T and Dioxins could be by-products. That is just by-products, not what was/could be actually in the brew. Right now I don't even think it's even known what was applied? Don't let me scare/be an alarmist.

You'd need to take samples, extract and analyze. GC/MS would do. That would take a scientist, a lab, funds, and equipment.

No Ag business near me and my place I only use OG approved materials............

That is simply not correct UNLESS that is some state law which I highly doubt. The two main chemicals discussed here in this thread are 2-4-D and Glyphosate. Dicamba has also been discussed and is a major "drifter" but the poster is pretty certain it was 2-4-D Neither 2-4-D or glyphosate are restricted use herbicides, no recordkeeping required, and can be bought and applied by anyone. A 17 year old kid can buy and apply it but cannot buy a can of spray paint. I believe you are thinking of restricted use herbicides

They are in TN, as far as I know. When there is an incident like what happened to me, they gather that data from the farmers and gawd help hem if they don't have it.

i am a commerical applicator and i have to keep all application records for two yrs and my records are inspected 4 times a yr by the state.

Back