Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man you are completely disconnected from reality. She had two years of watching her entire yard get sick and wondering if it was all going to die. She wasn't panicking, it wasn't in haste, and it was 100% justified.
I am far from disconnected.
I have had my applicators license since they were first required.
I have been successfully applying herbicides my entire life and have yet to kill a non-targeted plant.
I spray property lines next to probably one of the most strict conservationists and plant lovers in this region of Illinois. She worked for the state for years. Not once has she had an ill word to say about my chemical application. In fact she routinely bakes me cookies and brings them to me.
My pets are not permitted to enter areas after application until suitable time has elapsed
I strictly follow grazing guidelines on treated pastures and crop areas
For well over 70 years we raised fresh market produce that was sold to local grocery stores. Never an issue
All animals are treated with the correct medications at the correct dosage.
No animal is harvested prior the the expiration of the waiting period for any medication administered.
In the 1980's when Sulfa was banned from use in swine no animal of ours ever tested positive.

Now tell me how am I "disconnected"

I have grape vines, fruit trees, and Oaks that have been hit with 2-4-D and triclopyr (Crossbow) for at least two years now. It occurs during roadside spraying. I am not pleased but they do bounce back. This will be the final year for the man doing the spraying and I need to stop by and ask him to be a bit more careful this summer. It will go fine, I will not panic, and we will share some laughs as he prepares to put a cap on a 45 year.

Now tell me how am I "disconnected"

Let me put this another way.

Del and I basically have 180deg opposite world views; we are diametrically opposed on most things. When two people from such vastly different viewpoints think you've lost the plot, it's worth doing some very deep and honest self reflection.

Let me put this another way.

Del and I basically have 180deg opposite world views; we are diametrically opposed on most things. When two people from such vastly different viewpoints think you've lost the plot, it's worth doing some very deep and honest self reflection.
The discussion is about crop spraying not you and del's relationship.

Now if you would like to discuss crop spraying then let's do that

The discussion is about crop spraying not you and del's relationship.

Now if you would like to discuss crop spraying then let's do that

This is what's known as "not even wrong."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

It's where someone demonstrates that not only do they have the wrong answer, they don't understand the concept behind the question. You were a teacher, if you asked one of your students what 2 + 2 was, and they answered 5, that would be wrong. If you asked what 2 + 2 was, and they answered "purple", that would be not even wrong.

And with that, I'm done with you.

This is what's known as "not even wrong."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

It's where someone demonstrates that not only do they have the wrong answer, they don't understand the concept behind the question. You were a teacher, if you asked one of your students what 2 + 2 was, and they answered 5, that would be wrong. If you asked what 2 + 2 was, and they answered "purple", that would be not even wrong.

And with that, I'm done with you.
So you have nothing to add related to crop spraying.

Just saying what they did was wrong.
I never known anyone to support the misuse of herbicides nor the poor application. The issue is how the situation is addressed. When John nailed my grapes, apple trees and Oaks the last two years I did not go flying of the handle. The first year I considered it a fluke and brushed it off as a simple accident. I said nothing as I knew they would come out of it, which they did. Last year when it happened again I was a bit more irritated but again I knew they would be OK. This year I plan to address it ahead of time. He was here today with the road grader but was heading out when I was coming in and I did not get a chance to talk with him. Over the next 5-6 months there will be hundreds of millions of acres of crops sprayed with incident. It seems no one ever talks about that.

In the situation that began this entire thread I still wonder who it was that did the actual application. I will assure you here folks are itching to get going but today and Saturday the high boys and terragators will sit idle to to unsafe wind conditions

I never known anyone to support the misuse of herbicides nor the poor application. The issue is how the situation is addressed. When John nailed my grapes, apple trees and Oaks the last two years I did not go flying of the handle. The first year I considered it a fluke and brushed it off as a simple accident. I said nothing as I knew they would come out of it, which they did. Last year when it happened again I was a bit more irritated but again I knew they would be OK. This year I plan to address it ahead of time. He was here today with the road grader but was heading out when I was coming in and I did not get a chance to talk with him. Over the next 5-6 months there will be hundreds of millions of acres of crops sprayed with incident. It seems no one ever talks about that.

In the situation that began this entire thread I still wonder who it was that did the actual application. I will assure you here folks are itching to get going but today and Saturday the high boys and terragators will sit idle to to unsafe wind conditions
Oh.
So now, after two years, you finally fess up that chemical trespass happened to you too.
What a piece of work you are!
Not only did it happen to you, but it's happened every year, with damage to your property, inflicted by the same repeat offender.

Is this guy licensed and certified, as you claim all applicators must be? He is obviously spraying in violation of the MSDS to cause damage three years in a row.

(@lone wolf @pdqdl @Del_ @OM617YOTA @Franny K @slowp @grizz55chev @Zale @Groundman One @Dave Hadden @1Alpha1 @TheJollyLogger @ZinTrees @Dave Hadden )

Oh.
So now, after two years, you finally fess up that chemical trespass happened to you too.
What a piece of work you are!
Not only did it happen to you, but it's happened every year, with damage to your property, inflicted by the same repeat offender.

Is this guy licensed and certified, as you claim all applicators must be? He is obviously spraying in violation of the MSDS to cause damage three years in a row.
Care to explain that?

Care to explain that?
Yes. Not only do you dabble in deception, but you do a pretty sloppy chicken dance when caught.
But, please, go on and tell us all just how safe chemicals are "when used according to label directions."
While at the same time telling us how "John" has damaged your property three years running with chemicals.

Really, don't bother. I know I'm not interested and I'm pretty sure no one else here is either.

Found out the hard way my Confederate Rose Bushes don't like Roundup sprayed anywhere around them. Bees don't like it also, sprayed a area behind the house, about 4 acres, with a light dose of Roundup to control weeds and allow the grass to grow. Had a bee hive close and after spraying they packed up and left, honey, wax cone and all. Don't know where they went but a year later they moved back in the hive.

Yes. Not only do you dabble in deception, but you do a pretty sloppy chicken dance when caught.
But, please, go on and tell us all just how safe chemicals are "when used according to label directions."
While at the same time telling us how your neighbor has damaged your property three years running with chemicals.

Really, don't bother. I know I'm not interested and I'm pretty sure no one else here is either.
No deception.
I said two years at least, not three
I have no idea if he was or was not following label directions.
I assume he was. It would not matter because it was not a drift issue. It was direct application
From a legal standpoint he had every right to spray them.
The township has the ROW from the center of the road.
Morally I wish he would not have but that is just my opinion thus I did not get upset with him.
Many years ago I was doing township ROW mowing and mowed a ditch bank that upset a person.
She was upset because she loved the species of grass growing there.
From a legal standpoint I had to right to mow it but after she told me she wished I would not have I never did again.
She was nice and I appreciated that.
Folks are generally very easy to get along with here.

You have no idea if he was or was not following label directions.
And yet -

It was direct application.
So, "John" intentionally -

So, "John" had every right to - because the "township has the ROW from the center of the road."
And yet -

which turns out weren't actually "yours" since they were planted on the township ROW.

Blah, blah, who gives a **** about any one of your hundreds of odd jobs. Nobody

But, you just keep on back-peddling there Mr. Bill.
I have not back peddled one bit.
It is impossible to know if he followed label directions but as I said that is irrelevant
In your case do you know if the physical applicator followed label directions or just got too close?
Do you know if the physical applicator mixed the solution?
I can tell you here the commercial applicator doing the physical application is sure not making the solution.
I am sorry you had a bad experience with crop spraying but not everyone is bad.
Hundreds of millions of acres are sprayed every year without incident
As for township ROW I assume you do realize basically every rural mailbox is on township ROW.
If a unknown vandal takes out a mailbox is it your responsibility or the townships responsibility to replace?
As a former US postal employee I am sure you are well versed it that.

I have not back peddled one bit.
It is impossible to know if he followed label directions but as I said that is irrelevant
In your case do you know if the physical applicator followed label directions or just got too close?
Do you know if the physical applicator mixed the solution?
I can tell you here the commercial applicator doing the physical application is sure not making the solution.
I am sorry you had a bad experience with crop spraying but not everyone is bad.
Hundreds of millions of acres are sprayed every year without incident
As for township ROW I assume you do realize basically every rural mailbox is on township ROW.
If a unknown vandal takes out a mailbox is it your responsibility or the townships responsibility to replace?
As a former US postal employee I am sure you are well versed it that.
And now we've entered the realm of mailboxes.

I am so done with you. Not wasting another key stroke on your nonsense.
I've gone on with you far too long as it is.
You've been erased.

And now we've entered the realm of mailboxes.

I am so done with you. Not wasting another key stroke on your nonsense.
I've gone on with you far too long as it is.
You've been erased.
It was an example of "property" on township ROW
I hope you make out better this Spring than in 2022 but it might be best to communicate ahead of time with folks spraying near you. I have never known anyone that ever intended to kill a non selected specie.
Folks are not as bad as some like to make them out to be.

Found out the hard way my Confederate Rose Bushes don't like Roundup sprayed anywhere around them. Bees don't like it also, sprayed a area behind the house, about 4 acres, with a light dose of Roundup to control weeds and allow the grass to grow. Had a bee hive close and after spraying they packed up and left, honey, wax cone and all. Don't know where they went but a year later they moved back in the hive.

Beehives do move, but I think colony collapse is more likely. Once the varroa mites and the hive beetles move in, the hive gets weak. If the weakening hive gets bad enough, they might conclude that it is time to abandon the location.

Another hive probably moved back in.

Back