Tree House Masters on Discovery Channel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
Reaction score
Anybody watch this show? I watched all the episodes this season. I like the tree houses and actually wouldn't mind doing that myself, growing up in a family of custom home builders, I have a deep understanding of all residential construction. But I wonder what the liability would be, he has to have a "hold harmless" agreement.

The thing that bugs me,Pet Nelson, the owner, you can tell he has some training and may have been in our trade at one time. But on several different points, when he talks about trees and their biology, he is wrong. Sometimes he is almost right, but not quite. But gives it out as if he is a authority, which he should............if he has it right. Then, they talk about experts, but have no expert tree guys on staff, their climber is a rock climber who freaks when he is just a little ways up? But then the seasoned carpenter goes up pretty high and is teaching the rock climber? You would think since he is getting anywhere from $50 to $250 G's for these, he could afford a pro tree climber. They are always talking about rigging this or that, then u seen them using cheap boat ropes and sail pulley's. One seen they got on a bunch of PPE, next seen, guy is in the tree with no PPE and one handing a POS saw! Dudes climbing in sandals! I dunno, kinda disappointed in all that. When are we going to get some proper recognition on one of these shows! Oh wait we did. Saw for hire...........NOT!
Those tree houses are badass tho!
I am going to build one in my yard, have a massive hackberry in my woods that is perfect. Don't know that I will have a plasma in it tho!

I've watched bits and pieces of most of them but generally tune out on the loco parts. Probably will inspire lots of bad tree torture. Guy down the road put a platform up in a crab apple. Looks sound but I'd hate to have to warrant anything I built. If you have the background, I'd say there's money to be made if you act quickly.
Phil

I cant believe the money this guy gets for those tree houses. I cant imagine those 2" diamer pins he puts through the trees are all thst good for the trees health. Cool houses though.

I don't think the show has anything to do with tree climbng at all, just building a structure in a tree. If they didn't use ropes and only used ladders, would that be ok?

That being said, I agree that the pins and attachemnts he uses in the trees can only do harm. Once these $50k-$250k structures are up, what happens if the tree dies? What if the tree dies due to his use of his attachment pegs? And how do they comply with building code? I could see a simple tree fort like we all used to build but with electricity and plumbing, I would suppose inspections are needed. :confused:

Perfect example of the goverment overstepping. There is enough problems in this country, why not worry about some of those instead of harrassing someone over what they do on there own property.

That guy doesn't know what he's doing or talking about when it comes to trees. I'v watched shows where they totally over pruned (butcher) a small tree to
put a pretty big house in it and do a hack job of it. No ropes, little undercutting, just amateurish bs. I don't like what he is doing at all. Bad for the trees.
Often the homeowners are total idiots as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back