Tree Shears

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curbside

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a tree shear. We do a fair amount of land clearing primarily with Fecon mulchers. I want to speed up our time on larger diameter trees without adding a ton of labor. I currently have 3 large frame bobcats that can run the shear "T-320's" so I would be looking for the largest shear out there. Our trees here are mostly Poplar,Birch, Manioba Maple, Scrub Oak and Elm varieties (American, Chinese, Siberian)

My thoughts are to go in and brush out all the smaller stuff bypassing the 10" and up. Then comming back to shear the larger stuff pull out the larger wood and then do a final clean up with the mowers.

There are a lot of different shears out there. Anyone have experince with them? How well do they work?

I've been looking at Tree Terminator Grande that says that can clip a 20" hardwood in a single clip. Dymax says they only have a 14 inch that will do hard wood. There larger models are only for ceders etc. Any other suggestions out there?

Any input from owners or users would be great. Thanks

We have cut thousands of trees with the Dymax at work. Great head. Will cut junipers upto 14 inche no problem. Never cut a hardwood with it though. Juniper is as hard as they come around here (Central Oregon). The real handy part with ours is the accumulator will hold a tree or two between cuts so yo can cut cut cut and then drop in a little pile to be dealt with later. We run ours on a T-200 or one of our two ASV's ( 4525 and a RC-100).
We also use a 120 degree swinging grapple on one of the machines to skid the trees out if need be. Works great but the dragging everything out backwards gets old after a while.

We had a 20" Tree Terminator Grande and with good sharp blades it will cut just about anything. We did break a chrome rod on one of the cylinders but that was after years of abuse and countless trees.
Good: Super tough, well built, simple design, low maintenance
Bad: Slow cycle rate, trees fall in any direction, heavy
I really like the single cylinder shears with even fewer moving parts, less weight and directional falling but I haven't found one yet that is as beefy as that Grande unit.
Buy a Grande, put a big pushbar with expanded metal on the front and get busy.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Totally Stumped did you make a custom push bar or are you talking about the guard that they sell it with. Can you describe the push bar you are talking about a little better if you custom made it.

Thks

The one on their website looks like my old one-should do the job. Be sure to weld or bolt a piece of angle over your hydraulic couplers and put on an expanded metal or Lexan door to protect you. You can direct the fall of the tree to some degree by lifting up and tilting forward. However, a large tree, a strong wind, or other trees might push that tree back on you. Armor that little tractor up-too much is never enough!

Back