TreeMotion vs TreeFlex

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The aluminum rings on the floating bridge take some getting use to and can pinch if you have an old man's gut. But if you have washboard abs like all the young bucks, shouldn't be a problem.

Hard to say how long it may last. I've had mine less than a year but see no wear points at all.

Dave

My 8 year old Buckingham Traverse is long due for retirement LOL, but is still in great shape from all the abuse it has taking. I want to get away from the bosun seat and all that extra weight. In my mind anything Buckingham[since 1896] is a very good product. I have decided to purchase the new Buckingham ArborMaster Glide Lite saddle. At only 3 lbs 9 oz. its almost 2 lbs lighter then the original Glide, but still looks like a good beefy saddle for the tough going. I can say right now that I will never get 8 years out of it but sometimes you have to sacrifice some durability for a little useability.

Last edited:
for what it's worth, i have climbed in the glide for 2 years now and HATE it. i am CONSTANTLY rotating the leg straps so the wide, padded part is actually where it should be and not rotated so the thinner webbing is supporting you(ouch). also, the waist belt CONSTANTLY needs tightening, as do the leg straps. They work loose over an hour or so. I climbed in the treemotion once and it seemed like the most comfortable saddle ever. The high price is off-putting, but perhaps worth it if you don't have to adjust it EVERY day. I don't like the glide. Also, I cut off those brass quick snaps because they always catch everything. And all those elastic slack keepers are super annoying to me. I don't like the glide, did I mention that?

for what it's worth, i have climbed in the glide for 2 years now and HATE it. i am CONSTANTLY rotating the leg straps so the wide, padded part is actually where it should be and not rotated so the thinner webbing is supporting you(ouch). also, the waist belt CONSTANTLY needs tightening, as do the leg straps. They work loose over an hour or so. I climbed in the treemotion once and it seemed like the most comfortable saddle ever. The high price is off-putting, but perhaps worth it if you don't have to adjust it EVERY day. I don't like the glide. Also, I cut off those brass quick snaps because they always catch everything. And all those elastic slack keepers are super annoying to me. I don't like the glide, did I mention that?

Yeah I remember cutting off those pesky elastic retainers and brass accessory snap from my Traverse. I adjusted my leg straps where they should be then wrapped electrical tape around the tailends. Installed a Kong Paddle biner in the slot of the waist band webbing and hang my saws lanyard ring on it.The Petzl Caritool biner looks like a good option if the waist webbing on some saddles has no slot in it. I haven't got my new ArborMaster Glide Lite saddle yet but the brochure says they installed wider pad webbings so this might fix the twisting problems. Like I said adjust everthing and then tape it.

Last edited:
i spent some time talking up that caritool on this site. it is a good tool, but i no longer use it after it snapped from the weight of the saws i use when climbing. 2 of them broke on me. i now use a big biner that i think has nothing to do with tree work but is more solid than the plastic. that said, not a bad option to use (the caritool) as long as you have your saw lanyard hooked up elsewhere so when it does break your saw doesnt fall out the tree.

I know what you mean. I was excited about mine till the broke and my saw fell 40 feet. Lucky that it did not hit any one.

I always have the 2nd ring of my breakaway saw lanyard locked to my saddle with a small biner so I never drop my saw.If the saw is ripped away from me then that is a good thing because thats what the breakaway bungee is designed for. I didn't know the Caritool was plastic [only saw it in a cataloque] My large Kong non locking is good old aluminum.

I've done a sortof length review of the treeflex. You can see the vid here:

http://www.howcast.com/videos/20244-Review-Of-the-TreeFlex-Arborist-Harness

After seeing that video for 5min, I will never buy that harness, The d-rings need to be fixed and not flop around like that..... stuff like that cost to much time while working in the tree, also the accessory loops seem to be cheaply made.. I would never give up my BII to work in that harness..

This video is a good tool for some one to see what the harness is all about before spending all that cash..

That is a very good video. Did you get the D rings to stop floppy around? After using it for some time how do you like it know? Did you make any modifications to it?

By far the most comfortable harness I've ever worn. I'm constantly amazed by how comfortable it is. I still have the same gripes. I'm not happy with the placement of the gear loops- I don't like the floppy dees.

Mods? I pulled the sleeve off the bridge. It was bunching up and I didn't like that. I pulled the elastic bands that hold the waist belt and replaced them with velcro- but you saw that in the vid. I did a little test and replaced the elastic that holds the leg pads in place with another piece of velcro with much more tension. I like that one better and will switch the other soon.

I sewed on another gear loop on the right side where I think a gear loop should be.

I'm currently thinking about ways to stiffen up the gear loops that exist. As they are, it isn't super-smooth to take gear off.

I just tied the dees down. Not a particularly elegant, but it works.

I think that's it...so far!

love
nick

Thank you for everyones input. I'm between the secoia and treemotion. Anyone with some feedback on there likes and dislikes I am all ears. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back