Trees with things in them

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Felled a 200yr old beech on Saturday, approx height 90', forked at around 20', the tree was situated near a derelict schoolhouse, the locals reckon its been derelict for around 30 years. As the tree hit the ground it split at the fork and exposed metal, on closer examination and some careful cutting and chipping with an axe we found a school bell, the oldest guy in the village is 87 and he reckons he can remember it hanging there when he was a school kid, the bell's a bit pitted and the centre is solid with wood but i'll probably burn that out, and who knows maybe give it to the old guy as a reminder of his youth.....Jock

How'd that get there?

2 things...

1- A golf ball, wedged in a crotch and being grown over with surrounded wood. At about 30 feet in a Catalpa

2- This one confused me. I was dead wooding a Silver Maple in southern CA this winter and at about 40', i found a Taco Bell Mild Salsa packet opened and haf used sitting on a kind of flat branch. Also, there was a bit of cheese and what I think was tomato stuck on that same branch. Maybe some hungry climber was too tired to come down for lunch?

love
nick

ps- Have you ever thrown a golf ball down into the "out" chute of a wood chipper? fun stuff.

Re: How'd that get there?

Originally posted by NickfromWI

Have you ever thrown a golf ball down into the "out" chute of a wood chipper?

That's what we call a redneck skeet launcher round these parts...

Garden tap that nobody knew how to shut off. Someone ended up going in the crawlspace of a new addition to find the after tracing the pipe in the basement. Built right over it.

I think i heard another person with a similar story a few ears ago

found in tree

I found a prunning pole hung in a tree once. It was hung at about 55 ft. on a 3/4 inch twig. I talked to the tree owner. They had owned the house for ten years and never had any tree work done. They had no idea how it got there. The rope had long rotted away and the prunning head was baddly rusted. :confused:

In Germany, I think, they once found a skeleton of a hunter inside a hollow tree. They reckon he'd been there since the mid 1800's. I think the tree was an old pollard, and they reckon the hunter had climbed the tree but fallen into the main stem, which had been hollow even then. When found, his clothes were pretty much rotted away, but apparently his boots were in pretty good nick, even after all that time.

Nothing cool, only nails that dull chain and a fence post that broke a set of stump teeth.

I wonder how high a disk chipper could throw a golf ball with the chute folded back?

Toy robot in a Chinaberry. A chunk of sandstone 10 feet up in a hollow oak (bad news for a new chain), A high quality screwdriver in a hollow stump below a closed crotch (more bad news for the chain). A pair of 1.25 inch axle stubs in a Pecan stump.(broke a couple of teeth on that one) Lots of nails and wire. aA couple of railroad spikes. My favorite was last year's dying Siberian Elm.When it hit the ground the trunk split and a Chevy fuel pump fell out!:D

Found a horseshoe, found a pitch fork grown in a fork of an oak. The chipper found a master lock somewhere in a tree limb (spit it out and broke 2 blades)and of course enough nails to build a house

Mike

Frank, when you get some time you can build me one of those canoes:p very nice!!

O Lets see Fishing Reel 15' up all but the handle encased.

Bottom Plow 2" sticking out of the trunk 1' grown into the trunk. Same Tree 2 Brake Drums, Some type of Sycle.

Water spicket, Horse shoes, Chain.

The chain Really Sucked hit it 4 Times LOL

Ceramic insulators

I found a set of ceramic insulators in a huge pecan tree during a removal. You know the type, the ones they used to use to lead wires to the house. I was buckin' away when I found them. My husky was all the way through the ceramic part and workin' on the steel screw before it gave up! :angry: The tree had grown around them and had covered all but one completely up.

Dave

Working in an old sprawling mulberry tree I ran across an iguana. Man do those ever dull a chain ;) After some checking it turned out that the 16 inch long lizard had escaped the neighbors house 5 or so months earlier :eek: I took him home and gave him to my brother in law, he is now almost 3 feet long :)

lorax.jpg

Back