Trees saved my friend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
Reaction score
yall remember me asking around for work for my Marine buddy in Columbia, NC?
Marine gunny, collage grad, no work, nope, natta, zilch.
Cool update. He couldn't find work, in any field. I was trying to get him into trees as a grunt, coaching him over the phone about the industry. In the meantime, his wife bails on him, as he cannot provide the lavish lifestyle anymore, lost everything, back home to Massachusetts at mid 30's, not good, rock bottom. Runs into old best friend from high school. Turns out, he's a CA, has successful tree service! Told my bud, "come on out, Ill put ya to work." Now getting paid well, learnin from a pro, lovin every bit of it. Called me last night to let me know. All excited like a kid with a new bike! Told him to get on here, but to watch his mouth!Tough crowd an all!
This really made my day, Smitty is the nicest guy, one of those "brothers" we speak about from the suck. Really want good things for him and was heartbroken that I could not do more.
Coincidence? I think not. Ironic? Yes, in the truest sense of the word!

Smitty, told ya you'd love it. Welcome to the place where the men are men, and the sheep are scared!
Now shut up,sit down and learn!

From devil dog to tree frog! I'll bet he's eating it up.

I'm sure he'll work out good. Two of the worst guys I had were ex army though, but I expect more from a marine. I spent four years in the National Guard, and my younger brother is a Gunny, so I know a little bit about the differences.

It is a shame sometimes the way our vets are treated after they have served our country. Its great he found work, even greater he enjoys it. Thanks for sharing the news.

It is a shame sometimes the way our vets are treated after they have served our country. Its great he found work, even greater he enjoys it. Thanks for sharing the news.

You're right, which is why I hired two vets within the last couple of years, and both were next to worthless. I'd still hire another on a trial basis though. They can make some of the best workers, and some of the worst. Which is why I think some get discriminated against perhaps.

I can relate, I was not as far down in the barrel, but I found myself a vocation in trees. You come out of The Suck, into the Real World and people are afraid of how you will treat their workers. No one wants you except the low paying, hire anyone jobs. They always turn out to be indentured servitude.

JPS, Told him that he is to attend the workshop! So you will meet him. Gonna get him up here so he can get some edumacation.

:cheers:

Whats really cool is, we can do it in my yard and da po po may join us!
Had a big 4th some years ago, cops called on us, he came,left, got off, came back in shorts and carrying a twelve pack!
Last year on the 4th, we had 3" mortors, blew my saw table to the ground!
My neighbors love me so I can get away with most anything, with the exception of some haters up the street. But they have called on me so much about stupid things, the cops ignore them!

But they have called on me so much about stupid things, the cops ignore them!

I have a buddy with the same problem, the next door neighbor has had their undies in a bind ever since he started parking his chipper/truck on the driveway. He's put up an arborvitae hedge, relandscaped several times, but the jerks call ever other month or so. The cops have even said that e thy may cite the jerks for frivolous calls. Jerks will not be happy until he gets a shop-lot somewhere else.

Back