Treeslaying Illinois style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good eye my brotha, :clap: I pulled it out with the throwball at the end.

got some awkward movement while moving around the big back leader, why 2 ropes and a lanyard at one point. My TIP was the lowering leader until I felt some torsion I did not like, so the lowering was out, bombing was in.

These oaks here dry out REAL BAD, FAST.

Thank God I can feel that movement.:dizzy:

Good you got that big hanger down and good job but hey they all have movement down here lol. What always freaks me out is a twig snapping near the base whilst I am in the tips. You ask the groundy and they look like, I dunno:rolleyes: I think every groundy needs to be retired climbers so they get it lol.

Good you got that big hanger down and good job but hey they all have movement down here lol. What always freaks me out is a twig snapping near the base whilst I am in the tips. You ask the groundy and they look like, I dunno:rolleyes: I think every groundy needs to be retired climbers so they get it lol.

Yeah, no doubt, I always look at him and say "wtf was that noise".

not talking about up and down bounce, or side to side sway, thats every tree, I like that part. I mean twist. when my rapid movement, magnified by the climbing rope, cause small leaders to turn. Only happened a couple times (here) with these particular DEAD A$$ red oaks. the top limbs I dropped out blew up, easy enough, modify takedown plan. wanted to swing and lower back to the driveway, got whittled instead.

I had one (an 8" TIP) a couple months ago twist several inches and make a cracking noise. scared the :censored: out of me, it was hollow. couldn't get the lanyard back on fast enough. :D

Dead trees will kill ya.:cheers:

I was doing a large Oak that had been dead 5 years
(according to the HO) had to bucket under the top to get to a branch over the house, swung it out just fine, was watching the ground lower it to their desired place and BAM! I spun around to see what that was, crew wasn't watching the branch but looking behind me at the truck. They looked up at me with this weird look, I raised my hands, asking "what the", they then pointed above me, a branch was gone from the top!, 8" dia 15' long. They said it missed me by about 8', hit my headache rack and blew apart. Had all my PPE, don't think it would helped much as it started about 30' above me!
Your right, dead trees are deadly................is that a pun?

Last edited:
The red subgenus does start to rot a lot faster then whites; for the same reason the wilt gets them and the wood takes stain so well. It has very porous wood.

Those an elms get real scary if left for over a year. I've had elms where my TIP shatters from white-rot when hitting the ground.

I've tied into some deadwood on white oaks with no qualms.

John Paul. you may remember me, you stopped in Bettendorf,Ia a few years ago to look at a HUGE dead cottonwood for me,you were with a small guy named Brain. Think he is the artist. If ya remember you told me to get a helicopter! Thought I would let ya know that the house below the tree caught fire, then caught the tree on fire!, I wasn't in Iowa at the time, missed quite a show I guess! Looked pretty satanic from what everybody told me!
Tree removal by fire! Common in Cali, not in Iowa!

John Paul. you may remember me, you stopped in Bettendorf,Ia a few years ago to look at a HUGE dead cottonwood for me,you were with a small guy named Brain. Think he is the artist. If ya remember you told me to get a helicopter! Thought I would let ya know that the house below the tree caught fire, then caught the tree on fire!, I wasn't in Iowa at the time, missed quite a show I guess! Looked pretty satanic from what everybody told me!
Tree removal by fire! Common in Cali, not in Iowa!

I recognized your screename, and remember the trip out there. That was a massive cottonwood by any standard, too bad there was no real money for the removal.

He's got a job

Treeslayer there are many rude comments (undeserved) in this thread. That is unfortunate. I actually quit reading B4 the end.
Congrats to your boss for the equipment he does have. I funds weren't the limiting factor, I wouldn't be working with ladders, including a 3 section 60 footer and a 2 section 55 foot on a trailer with hydraulic lift and leveling elgs. I have rented boom lift trailers several times and have envy for the ladder truck. I expect you, your boss and his businees in general will be in business earning an honest living long after the big mouths quit (presuming they actually have jobs).

bob the Treeman

Treeslayer there are many rude comments (undeserved) in this thread. That is unfortunate. I actually quit reading B4 the end.
Congrats to your boss for the equipment he does have. I funds weren't the limiting factor, I wouldn't be working with ladders, including a 3 section 60 footer and a 2 section 55 foot on a trailer with hydraulic lift and leveling elgs. I have rented boom lift trailers several times and have envy for the ladder truck. I expect you, your boss and his businees in general will be in business earning an honest living long after the big mouths quit (presuming they actually have jobs).

bob the Treeman

This trip west has been a real test, and I am still going at it.
I am a self employed contract climber who runs my own show over half the year. I do good, no matter where I am.
That boss and his "businees" earns his living outside the tree business, and while he is a good guy, his business acumen kinda lacks..... thank god for his day job. :D
he hired a race horse to pull a plow. :dizzy:

I never got to do much with the ladder except rappel off it, (a real blast).

The red subgenus does start to rot a lot faster then whites; for the same reason the wilt gets them and the wood takes stain so well. It has very porous wood.

Those an elms get real scary if left for over a year. I've had elms where my TIP shatters from white-rot when hitting the ground.

I've tied into some deadwood on white oaks with no qualms.

good points, John. And so true about elms, that and their propensity to separate at the bottom cojoined leaders...............worst tree up here dead.

Rockford IL? thats a good 30 minutes away, maybe more. I went to their county fair last year, had a good time.

John, you ever work in the North Shore/Gold Coast area? got any contacts there?

Chicogoland? Too far south for me, I just talk to people from the big companies who come up to the WAA shows. Todd Kramer comes to all of them.

Now the North Shore of MKE...I'm there all the time. Wee bit of a difference though.

Latest posts

Back