TreeStuff.com Gaff Guardian

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure my longer flipline gets snagged around my boot from time 2 time. Just unsnag it. Takes 2 seconds.

I did a fair amount of rock climbing in my early 20's, but never got up trees other than hunting. I'm not sure if I'll ever transition to pro work in the canopy, but I have enough trees on my place that would benefit being topped before dropped that I want to learn it. Even pruning out a back leaner would be advantageous from time to time. Or setting a pull line... Lots of uses!

When I saw the spikes and what he was asking, I figured I couldn't lose. I can sell them if I don't like them, but I've yet to find someone who didn't suggest buying a set after owning them. They look solid and the pad system looks well designed.

Steel core is the common theme in my searches for flip lines. Does having a long tail get in the way on smaller stems? I can see where it'd be annoying if it was hooking around your foot. Is it an issue?

Just a few points on spikes.
It's not good practice to use spikes on anything other than removals. Although i've often clipped them on my harness and put them on when i get to a limb that has to be removed or have the groundie tie them onto my rope. They are a big help with work positioning in certain situations.
I clip the tail of my flip line onto a Petzl carry tool on the left rear of my harness and loop the slack onto another carry tool on my left handside. I usually double wrap the flip line on smaller stuff to keep it tidy.

It's not good practice to use spikes on anything other than removals.

Yep. What I'm talking about is getting stuff limbed so it doesn't hang in the canopy on it's way down or so it's not so lop sided when directionally felling against the lean/bias.

I can see where they'd be invaluable for limb walking out crotches for pruning.

What he is saying is DON'T use spikes for pruning.

As for length of lanyard, what is the biggest diameter tree you think you will climb? If you are going to be doing nothing larger than 24" trees - which is still pretty good size tree, an 8' or 10' would be plenty. If you are going to climb Giant sequoias (of Minnesota o_O ) you probably need something a little longer.

What he is saying is DON'T use spikes for pruning.

As for length of lanyard, what is the biggest diameter tree you think you will climb? If you are going to be doing nothing larger than 24" trees - which is still pretty good size tree, an 8' or 10' would be plenty. If you are going to climb Giant sequoias (of Minnesota o_O ) you probably need something a little longer.

Pruning/limbing same thing to me. No spikes on keeper trees. I get it.

I've got a 50" pine that I'd like to get up into (it's already missing 1/3 it's bark at the ground, so a couple more holes wouldn't do much harm), and some oaks in the 30-40" range, but I could do fine with a hank of climbing rope and a prussic for those oddballs.

Sorry Treestuff, I didn't meant to turn your thread into something useful. :D

I've been using the Gaff Guardians for about a month now. They are difficult to get on and off in cold temperatures (below freezing). Other than that they work well.

Latest posts

Back