Tri axle weight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil21502

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well I think I'm gonna get a tri axle of logs for $700. The fella says it between 7 and 8 cords. Any who i have a twisting black top driveway leading to where I would want it dropped. Think i have a chance of messing up the black top?

Shouldn't but there is always that chance depending on grade of top used, tightness of turns, and outside temp. Best to do it on a cold day or early in the morning or on a rainy day if doing it in the summer. Cold blacktop less likely to move.

Have them drop it off in my driveway. I have 4-5 ft of frost here and it's gravel. I'll even let him put it on the lawn. Free storage for you. I got room for 2 or 3 loads here.

Shouldn't but there is always that chance depending on grade of top used, tightness of turns, and outside temp. Best to do it on a cold day or early in the morning or on a rainy day if doing it in the summer. Cold blacktop less likely to move.
wouldn't worry about the actual asphalt, unless its hot out, but if the base is junk or poorly packed then you might leave ruts...

Do you know what kind of pavement section you have? How deep is the asphalt? How deep is the gravel beneath the asphalt? Before it was paved, do you know whether the subgrade soil was well compacted to non-movement?

All of these things and more matter. If the ground is frozen in your area, now is the best time to get the delivery, before the frost comes out of the ground and makes everything soft. If the ground isn't frozen, you might be better off to wait until after the spring wet season is done, and things dry out and harden up.

I drove a 6 axle dump truck and was routinely over 80,000 pounds. Driveways always took a beating. The front axle becomes very heavy once you lift the tag axles and if the drive is tight, he might have to go off a bit to make a turn, which puts a lot of load on the edge of your driveway and will compact/damage it easily. Usually, the driver will have you sign off on a waiver that puts the responsibility of any damage outside the curbline on the land owner. If you're worried about it, have the driver take a look and give an opinion. Just let him know that you won't be holding him accountable, but you'd like his opinion on damage and accessibility. During the freeze is the best time to do it.

BTW, Log trucks around here don't haul legal weight and they have a heavy lightweight with the grapple and double frame anyways.

It shouldn't weigh more than 68,000#, but I won't say it won't weigh more. If It's been below freezing for several days I wouldn't worry too much.

triaxle trailer behind a tractor, so likely more weight than the op asked about :eek:

We wont deliver firewood on a driveway without a signed waiver, but yes, this rig might be bigger.

-dave
I've had upper 90's before, but never 6 figures. I think my boss would have killed me since I was only legal with 69k here in Ohio (6 axle dump). His sons roll heavy all day and hit 100k every once in a while. When rolling that heavy, you're talking jail time if you get in an accident. Percentage pay is a dying breed in aggregate.

My buddy drives a log truck for another buddy of mine. He's constantly overloaded, but who trucks logs without a full load.....it's pretty rare. Just a necessary evil of the business.

I've had upper 90's before, but never 6 figures. I think my boss would have killed me since I was only legal with 69k here in Ohio (6 axle dump). His sons roll heavy all day and hit 100k every once in a while. When rolling that heavy, you're talking jail time if you get in an accident. Percentage pay is a dying breed in aggregate.

My buddy drives a log truck for another buddy of mine. He's constantly overloaded, but who trucks logs without a full load.....it's pretty rare. Just a necessary evil of the business.

Yea, 30thou over would be an issue all around.

Forest products haulers here have higher legal limits than others. I think the argument when the law was written was that they are empty half the time, but that can be said of other products as well. Strange. Frozen roads here up the limits even more:eek:

Payback is when the road bans or axle limits start during breakup. Most guys sit it out or sneak to the begging mills at night.

Thanks for the help. Sucks that we're starting to thaw here right now. I'm sure we will still have cold days but not enough in a row. U guys think if I wait till May or June I'd be alright?

I had a tri-axle truck deliver several 20ish yard loads of crushed concrete fill at my house. I have an old concrete drive and it took a hell of a beating. I could see the slabs move several inches down and back up as the truck moved over it. Where the truck drove off the edge it broke.

Well figure 8 cords is about 40k. That's got to be a really heavy duty truck! With truck weight that's 65k+.
My International is a heavy spec'd truck (used to be a concrete truck) and it's legal to 54,900 lbs. I'm suprized at that weight it doesn't have a tag, so 4 axles total.

If I have to run home with a load I park on the dirt and not on my paved driveway unless it's cold out.

Back