Tricks for changing the oil in the splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about a turkey baster with a piece of fuel line on the end?

Most small engines, you can get away with a small piece of pipe, but it sounds like that's not the case with these.

Is it on the same side but below the plug? I saw 2 in the back (pump side) but they didn't scream drain plug.

Is your valve leaking yet? Looks like a common problem from reading here, and it started last year, slow drip at the spool I think.

It is on the same side as the filler cap, with one on either side of the engine at the base. Not much to it and at first I just thought it was a bolt holding the engine in place, but I'm no mechanic.

And yes, something on the splitter is leaking from the control valve area. Behind the control valve is a very small opening, which I didn't notice on the splitter until after using it about half a dozen times and fluid began to sporadically leak a bit. Just figured it was some sort of pressure relief. I even called Timberwolf, which was surprisingly no help in troubleshooting the problem. So I just made sure everything was tightened up and continued splitting. Still leaks a bit to this day.

:msp_mellow:

Are you serious? This has to be a joke. If its not a joke and you really cant see the drain plug bolt, you may want to get your eyes checked....

It really was this easy all along...:msp_mellow:

Last edited:
:msp_mellow:

Are you serious? This has to be a joke. If its not a joke and you really cant see the drain plug bolt, you may want to get your eyes checked....

It really was this easy all along...:msp_mellow:

Sadly it was not a joke. That damn bolt just didn't look like a drain plug. Next time I'll get it right, I promise. I've got clean oil for another year, good thing I'm subscribed;)

Another vote for TreePointer's illustration. I sold these engines as well as parts for them for a number of years and have never seen a GX series that was not arranged as that illustration described.

The drain plugs are in the mounting pad of the engine on the same side as the dipsticks, and look just like a bolt (10mm head I believe) on the smaller engines. Some of the larger engines use a pipe plug.

Flexible drain extensions are available for both designs from just about anywhere that sells small engines.

I need a flexible drain extension for my TW6 but the Honda shop can't come up with one. The ones they find are all for smaller engines. Mine is 18HP, twin cylinder overhead valve. The drain plug isn't tapered like pipe threads. Any suggestions? This is my engine.

Log Splitters | Firewood Processors | Conveyors | Timberwolf Wood Processing Equipment

LAH

I don't recall the manufacturer of the extensions we carried, it has been a few years.

But, a company called Drainzit manufactures a wide variety of sizes, and they are available online from several suppliers.

Even if you can't find an exact match, drilling and tapping your existing drain plug for a commonly available size could be a solution.

My generator has a Honda knock-off, and it was real easy to find the drain plug... cause it was leaking from day one!
Darn thing was so tight I had to use a breaker-bar to get it loose. I swear they must'a used a half inch impact to install it... and split the copper gasket in the process. I was gonna' pop the other side out and install a new gasket but after about thirty seconds of standing on the breaker-bar I decided it was gonna' be a permanent fixture. At least it ain't leaking.

LAH

I don't recall the manufacturer of the extensions we carried, it has been a few years.

But, a company called Drainzit manufactures a wide variety of sizes, and they are available online from several suppliers.

Even if you can't find an exact match, drilling and tapping your existing drain plug for a commonly available size could be a solution.

Never thought of changing the thread but that is an option.

I was at a TW dealer yesterday and noticed right below the drain bolt they had a hole drilled out on the platform where the engine sits. I thought about doing this myself but I think the hole isn't enough to resolve the issue of oil leaking everywhere. I think it should be taken a step further and hard piped through the hole with a 90* elbow.

Latest posts

Back