Trimming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhuffnmu

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When trimming and pruinning like some call it what is your guys method to getting out to the ends of limbs without spikes. For example: the limb has not branches or nothing to get a hold of and it is on a angle so that you can just walk out backwards and balance yourself on it???? I know to tie in as high as possible but for me that is just the hardes thing and somethign I really need to get better at to make my work faster and easier on myself. I hope you guys understand what I mean.

Experience will be the best way to get out to the tips. A floating dee saddle helps too, one with leg straps not a butt strap.

Sometimes girth hitching slings to use as stirrups is necessary.

Redirects and two ropes. Using another tree for a second tie in point.

Boots with grippy soles. Either a soft rubber to grip or ones with a hard, square welt so that you can edge like rock climbers.

Leave your chainsaw hanging in the center of the tree. Use a handsaw along with a pole pruner. Leave the polesaw, you'll become a better climber, quicker, without the polesaw.

go to tree climbing competitions and watch how the climbers solve the problems. If you think you can't afford the time off to go to a comp then you'll never have enough time to learn how to be a good climber.

Have you read The Tree Climbers Companion? The best money any climber ever spent.

dayman said:
Leave your chainsaw hanging in the center of the tree. Use a handsaw along with a pole pruner. Leave the polesaw, you'll become a better climber, quicker, without the polesaw.
Amen to all that, except that once you can scoot around in a tree pretty well the polesaw can be very useful. For me a telescoping pole saves a lot of time and damage to inner laterals because climbing out to skinny ends is not required.

And yes, pole tools can make well-angled, clean cuts. A pole pruner for smaller cuts is worth the hassle of keeping up with that silly little rope.

Another method is to use a throwline to set a second TIP at the end of the branch, and use it to pull you out there. Thats what I do on limbs i cant walk because they are too steep near the trunk, normally they level out to a walkable condition on out a little bit.

Caulk boots:rolleyes:. Sure dont use 1 spike use dozens, dont worry about becoming a better climber.

The only time i use a polesaw aloft (wanna get a power pole saw sometime) is when the limb wont hold my weight, and I cant put my weight on my TIP for whatever reason (like the angle is too shallow on my climbing line). Cant think of the last time that happened.

tophopper said:
You can't be serious :dizzy:
Ever tried it? Found it to be very worthwhile today. The limb I was on was almost completely horizontal, no TIP above, and the branch overhung wires. Oh, did I forget to mention that it was split and rotting in the middle. Would like to see you limb walk that one. Not me, I just reached out with the power pruner and nipped the limbs off one at a time so as to not knock down the wires.

For that purpose I think a powered pruner would be nice. But thats not what I think about when I say trimming, thats a targeted limb removal.

I want a powered pruner for just that, being able to drop peices I cant get at without rigging, as well as having another toy.

You might be surprised how much you'd use it if you have it. Just like anything else, hard to justify it until you've used it. Then you wonder how you did without it in certain scenarios.

Good replies guys. Just the kind of answers I was looking for.

When alot of you get to a tree to trim it and you see a limb such as the one I was talking about and you think it is going to give you a problem will you set another line in it before even going up for the first time? That way when you are in the tree and it comes time to get out on that limb the rope is already set.

Also how do you go about using the loops for foot holds. Do you just girth hitch it around the limb and keep adding them out in front and moving your feet until you get out there?

I have a copy of the tree climbers companion. I was just wondering if there was any other tricks of the trade that maybe some of the knowleadgeable guys that post on here would share. That's all. I really do appreaciate everyone taking time to post.

Thank you everyone.

CLIMB UGLY!
I trim without spikes and sometimes without dignity. When I climb, I see the places I need to go and I go there. I have every confidence I can get there. Sometimes I do it gracefully and sometimes I scratch and claw my way were I need to go. This is of no help to you so far-- but I think your mindset is just as important as your skills and technique. I use Sherrill's glide saddle which is much like a floating dee saddle with individual leg straps. It allows me to lean out while I'm climbing. If I can't climb the top of the branch, I slide the rope to one side of me and climb the side of the branch. I've never had to use slings. I don't recommend a power polesaw for climbing except in very specialized situations. I like pole pruners and have had good luck with corona bull loppers or "big bites" and Marvin head pole pruners. Someone needs to invent a pole pruner that cuts at 45 degree angle to the pole. Blah, blah, blah... Don't be afraid to climb scrappy! Oh, and the more of your weight you direct back toward the trunk by leaning out, the farther out a limb you can climb.

You say you want to make your work faster and easier on yourself. I think for those special times like what you are talking about you could put on the evil hooks and ask to be forgiven later. I climbed a massive twinstem cottonwood that had huge limbs spreading like crazy, like 40 feet away from the stem. Truthfully, I didn't climb it from the base, I climbed out of a 65 ft Hi-ranger and then went up another 50ft to tie in. I went out as far as I dared to piece it apart. At one point I was on about a 45 degree angle, a bad swingfall hazard to be sure. Anyhow, if I was asked to trim it instead of nuke it there is no way I would'nt use spurs and 2 steelcores. That would be just retarded, like who is #1, you or the tree?

I have on occasion set a ssecond line where I knew I would need it, ot left a throw line in over a crotch.

Another way is to use a "jam knot" transfer. Using a monkeyfist on your rope end to catch hard in a crotch on your target limb, then use a hitch or ascender to pull yourself over to it.

Another way to traverse, that I use maybe once a year, is to run the rope end through the crotch, as if doubele crotchin, move the hithc off my saddle. The rope now looks like a loop going through two crotches. The tender pully goes on the top run of rope so it all pulls down to you, looking sorta like a big M.

A bit complicated, but better then trying to get across a wide traverse while tending two hitches.

Clearance- There's more then one way to skin the cat, very rarely do i need to spike anything that's staying. I cannot remember the last time I did it.

TreeSeer- Have we met? you remeind me of a guy I've worked for.

clearance said:
Anyhow, if I was asked to trim it instead of nuke it there is no way I would'nt use spurs and 2 steelcores. That would be just retarded, like who is #1, you or the tree?
You shouldn't have to choose; use creative ways like JPS described to get around; there are dozens of other ways too. Spiking a sp. that's ready to rot, like cottonwood, should be avoided.

Met before? Doubt it; I haven't been in b.c. for 20 years.

Guy Meilleur

1. Learn from others whenever you can and try to watch more then one climber all day. Where I used to work the head climber picked crews, including his own, and every day he and a newer climber/groundy were out together (and I mean every day). While our head climber was good but he had a few bad habits and techniques. Three guesses as to how that new climber looks when he climbs, exact same bad habits and techniques (it doesn't help that the head climber holds his hand through everything, kid has become a pu$$y). No one arberist will be really good at everything so try to learn from different guys, watching how they get past different obstacles.
2. There will be times where you look like a beached whale, it happens and you will get laughed at. If you are with some good guys they will laugh at you and tell you good job for gettin' the piece.

Latest posts

Back