Troubleshooting Stihl 026 Won’t Run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sir, not yet. Just got back from church and saw Ax’s post. Going to head out to the shop and follow his instructions to see if I can get it to start.

One thing I forgot to mention...

When I took the carb cover off yesterday I noticed this black wire just hanging out. Wasn’t attached to anything. I know that can’t be right.

I went back through the parts list and the other manual and got confused... couldn’t figure out where it’s supposed to be attached, what it does, and if it’s causing any current problems.

Attachments

• CE632A20-D38C-443D-B6E7-ECE331C70EAC.jpeg
    CE632A20-D38C-443D-B6E7-ECE331C70EAC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
1) No sir, not a crack. Just dirty like everything else on the saw.

2) I scraped the carbon build up out of the exhaust port with the piston up and blew it out. I could tell when I turned the flywheel that the resistance from the piston was coming at the top of the stroke. Was really tough to turn the flywheel by hand once I was right at the top of the stroke. Also hard to turn it to get the stroke to start back down.

I squirted some 2-cycle in there and man, it instantly got darker. It loosened up a little bit is still tough to turn by hand with the flywheel.

**SUCCESS!!**

There was enough fuel mix in the cylinder to stay running for a few minutes and then it shut off. So now I think it’s time to pull the carb and clean that bad boy. Also still need to clean the entire saw.

**NOTE: Ran into something I’ve run into with my MS 170. The contact spring that helps move the ignition trigger up and down from choke to off won’t stay in its slot. These things are a pain!! Any tricks?

Glad to hear it is at least running . Good luck finishing and tuning the saw. Might have a keeper saw even with that bad piston and rings depending on how much your going to use it.

All he's saying(I believe) is if all you do is get it running and go cut with it without addressing the reason that your piston melted it won't run for long. Counting on bad fuel or operator misuse is not a plan.

1125 442 1601 (contact spring).
$4-6 on ebay

Harley is giving that blunt honesty. Something I greatly appreciate. You will get it running but IMO the damage will get worse if you don't take it apart and at least clean the carbon out and resurface the cylinder. While its apart do the rings, gasket and seals. Replace all the hoses and manifold. This would be a minimum for me.

On a side note while browsing the IPL I noticed five possible carburetors and six sprockets. Lot of different versions.

Noted. I plan on getting the new cylinder that you recommended, Jason... and rebuilding the carb. I have to order those things which is fine. My point in this initial process was to see if I could even get it fired up. That happened. So now I’ll put some $$$ into it to make it a good saw.

I also understand the differences of opinion and experience. I have neither on this subject so appreciate all the feedback. I could clean the saw, put it back together, and use it for the rest of my life with no problem. Or it could go caput. Safest thing is to get the new parts to lower my risk of things going south.

Back