Troy Built Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolfreak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a troy built chainsaw? I saw one in a lowes, just wondered how they perform and are they worth talking about.

Who makes them? Troy Built doesn't make them, they rebadge somebody else's saws just like Sears Craftsman.

Troy-bilt was bought by MTD, fwiw, so the quality factor may be an issue. I don't know who manufacturers the saws but maybe the same company that does the cub cadet saws as they are also owned by MTD.

Those Cub Cadet saws sold by TSC actually look pretty well built.
Our local store has had more ripped off than actually sold because
no one will lay out that kind of cash for an off brand....this is
a logging town. Gutchess is one of the largest companies in the town
and there are several other loggin firms as well....if it isn't either a
Husqvarna or Stihl it won't sell. Echo's even marked down 25% sit
on the shelf. I watched a CS670 for under 400 bucks new sit for the summer.

That shelve full of Cub Cadets will be there unchanged until either they get
stolen or the store closes....poor things.

Allan.k is on the right track. The troy-bilt saws are from china and are JUNK. They should not be confused with the Cub Cadet saws from EFCO, which are very well made.

I thought I seen made in Taiwan on the troybilt saw at lowes. I will double check next time in.

Yes, they are made in Taiwan garbage.

"Oh look honey a troy built saw, well get that one, they are a good brand....."

Nothing I love better than an educated consumer. Brand names mean nothing anymore in todays throw away society, except to those closed minded people that insist on buying the crap.

Just like the poor fools that buy a JD mower from Home Depot & actually think they are getting one. Tell them its a rebadged MTD & they look at you like your crazy.....

Mike mandry said:
Yes, they are made in Taiwan garbage.

"Oh look honey a troy built saw, well get that one, they are a good brand....."

Nothing I love better than an educated consumer. Brand names mean nothing anymore in todays throw away society, except to those closed minded people that insist on buying the crap.

Just like the poor fools that buy a JD mower from Home Depot & actually think they are getting one. Tell them its a rebadged MTD & they look at you like your crazy.....

I have a Troy Built tiller that was sold to my grand father in 1973. I have been using it for the last five years and i am really happy with it. I have had to replace the motor and the bearing seals but it runs great now. I looked into replacing it withone of the new tillers from Lowes , but they look like junk. I guess i will just keep the old tiller running. I asked the guy at lowes about the quality of the tillers and he told me the new Troy Buily tillers are better than the old ones. I then asked the guy if he ever used a tiller and he said "NO"...
At one time Troy Built was a good name...

John Deere is John Deere on there mowers.. Not no MTD get your facts right..Plus you think John Deere would go that low to have MTD make there mowers (NOT)

John Deere makes a low grade lawn mower for them...They make 6 different series of them just depends on your needs and your pocket size..Why I know I have a very close friend that works a John Deere dealer .. I asked him last year about that he said,yes they make them but they are a low end model of the mower line..Plus I use a John Deere mower to mow my 2 acres of lawn. and I love that mower..I use to have a Scag truff tiger to..I do miss that one..
But this is off the subject (Yes I have a older troy built it is good tiller..)
PS: My friend that works for Deere he has been there for 35 years.. so he should know ..
Allan.K

I have a Troy Bilt HORSE tiller with the 8HP Kohler Magnum engine I bought new in 1992. I keep it clean and waxed and it always stays in the garage when not working. I expect it to last me for the rest of my life. Since MTD purchased Garden Way, the company that made the real Troy Bilt equipment, the quality has went down. You can still get a cast iron tiller transmission on the very top end but they still have Briggs engines.

It seem like MTD buy's out everything now day's and makes them cheaper.. Yea I was not to happy when they bought out Garden Way.. They where a darn good tiller .. I owned 4 of them over the years.. I have one from 86 it is a Horse model too. Had to put a new kohler engine on it a few years ago..But it still does my garden ( I should say my wifes..lol..) Anyway's this is a chainsaw forum not lawn mowers and tillers..

Allan.K

Garden Way mfg in Troy, NY made the original Troy Bilt tillers and they're rock solid machines. Mine's a 1980 vintage Horse with a cast iron Kohler engine and it's been trouble free. Garden Way mfg went belly up about 10 years ago and MTD bought out the remains.

The only thing in common between the new Troys and the old ones is the name. I guess that's all MTD really wanted since they didn't even come close to producing the quality machine that Garden Way had made.

Ok, back to the topic. Does anyone out there own a Troy Built chainsaw or a craftsman chainsaw? If you do, do you like it? They might be ok saws for people who use them once in a while? Any ideas from people who own the saws or have used them? I know the craftsman saws use the 95VP, .325 chain with a 18 inch bar.

There's nothing wrong with a Briggs & Stratton motor "IF" you know what Briggs motor to buy!! They have 3 grades of motors, and there "Vanguard" line is as good as any of the other brands, and better than most!! I'd take a Vanguard Briggs to anything Kohler makes today...

Even Honda has 2 grades of small motors, but most folks don't know that either...

Rob

Good back on the topic..Hey rjh245 please take a look at these saws...http://www.jennfeng.com/manufacturer/12373/12373.html.. The look like a perfect match for the troy built saws.. I did a search and found some troy built chainsaws at this address..http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category2_10001_14102_17685_17680_17680_-1

I know that the new poulans come close to the looks of a Troy Built.. But take a close look at them and compare.. On the links I gave here.

I still think craftsmans are made by poulan .. They always have been far as I know .. according to my books ...Maybe craftsman want some where else to get there saws now..

As for Briggs & Stratton they are a good engine .. I will say that ...
Allan.K

Back