Truck Deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know this isn't a truck forum, but I don't belong to one and I think we folks here think along the same lines when it comes to trucks. I need a plow truck to do some driveways this winter and this one looks like it might beat the rust problem as it has been sprayed underneath since it was new with Amsoil rust treatment. It was a fleet truck and the mechanic that services the fleet bought it for himself and now he needs a club cab. I realize the mileage is high, but it books for 3 grand more Private Party Value at Kelley Blue Book. For $7000., I probably won't find a cleaner truck and the no rust deal is big to me as everything I have looked at so far is older and about to lose the battle to rust cancer. I am probably crazy not to want the plow for the extra money right now, but it isn't in the numbers. Could I get a truck this loaded, this good looking and loaded for this price otherwise?

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 reg cab, 8 foot bed
6.0 liter. 280,000 miles
LT 285/75R16 tires 80%
Complete new tune up last month.
New inspection.
Remote starter.
Full meticulous Amsoil maintenance records since new. Doesn’t burn a drop of oil and not a single leak anywhere.
This truck has been maintained like no other and ,if taken care of as it has in the past, will easily go 500,000 miles.
Runs and drives like new.
Interior perfect, no rips or tears anywhere
Factory tow package
New rear bumper and Reciever hitch
No rust anywhere underneath or otherwise.
Brake lines original and rust free.
Recent 4 wheel brake job with all new pads and rotors.
CD player w/ steering wheel controls and trip computer
Electronic 4x4
Color matched tall fiberglass cap included. ($1800.00 new)
Equipped with Fisher Minute moune 2 setup, never commercial plowed, only my driveway!
1 small dent behind driver's side rear bumper.
Check NADA. with mileage deduction, still books for over $14,000 retail
Pricing as follows
$10,000 with Fisher Stainless 8’ X Blade
$8,000 with Fisher plow setup less blade
$7,000 w/o plow set up

3n23k83oa5V45P15X6a9111898e0b50a514dd.jpg

3k43o23l95V55W65R2a91c3cd33551552174c.jpg

3k83m73o45Y55Z65R2a91db39d54b4f8d15a6.jpg

3p03oe3l75Y55W25X4a91852a4e8ff6221bf4.jpg

Last edited:
That dont seem to bad if you dont mind the milage. Offer him 8000.00 for the hole deal, the worst he can say is no. A lower price will me you feel better about the high milage and he does say no than it wasnt meant to be.

Looks like it's in good shape, price seems good but for me the mileage would be a big issue. Thats a lot of miles, probably going to start seeeing some big things going out. Don't know the rust situation where you're at, it isn't a problem here.

The price on the truck isn't bad, but he wants a pretty penny for the plow. Also, if she plowed commercially, check trans svc/replacement. The engine may be tight, but the trannys take a beaten in those trucks. Just my .02.
BTW if it matters, I fix those dogs for a living. A C

The fleet didn't plow snow, he put the plow on last year when he bought the truck and he just plowed his driveway with it. A new Fisher Stainless 8' X Blade runs over $5500. here, so he isn't off on the plow price at 3 grand. I might just get the truck and worry about the plow later, used ones ar everywhere around these parts.

He runs the shop that services the fleet so he serviced this one himself, claims they run Amsoil Synthetic in the motor, tranny and differentials from new.

No rust underneath, none. No rust on the sheetmetal either.

I'll run it up to 500,000 miles and then sell it back to GM for an advertising prop.

Last edited:
If your handy and don't mind working on a vehicle, I'm sure there are tons of 6L GM motors to be bought from wrecks if the motor goes out while you have the truck. I doubt it would be too hard to find a trans either.

My Ford has a lot of miles at 186k, but was fleet maintained since new, then sold to a mechanic. Quite possibly the best truck I've owned to date... and it's not rusted like most I've had!

It's not my daily driver though....

The fleet didn't plow snow, he put the plow on last year when he bought the truck and he just plowed his driveway with it. A new Fisher Stainless 8' X Blade runs over $5500. here, so he isn't off on the plow price at 3 grand. I might just get the truck and worry about the plow later, used ones ar everywhere around these parts.

He runs the shop that services the fleet so he serviced this one himself, claims they run Amsoil Synthetic in the motor, tranny and differentials from new.

I'll run it up to 500,000 miles and then sell it back to GM for an advertising prop.

OK, if that's the case I say it's a good deal. If that plow's only got one year on it that's a deal too. I know you said the plow wasn't in the cards, but it can't hurt to make him an offer. Good Find. A C

Sounds like a good truck. Sounds like it has been well maintained. Make sure things like ball joints, tranny, rear end, wheel bearings etc have been looked after and you dhould be good to go.

Looks like a nice truck. If it does not have any rust as advertised it will probably serve you well. As a previous poster mentioned 6.0's and trannys for that truck are probably easy to come buy.

I have a 2005 chevy 2500 CC diesel. I bought it new and it has been a good truck. I do have some minor rust underneath. I have replaced tie rod ends, brakes and steering shaft (common on these trucks, about $200) in 75K.

I noticed it has 285's on it. If it does not have a lift then the torsion bars have been cranked for those to fit. the stock rims on that truck are only 6.5 inches wide which is to narrow IMO for that width tire. I would go back to 265's and make sure your torsion bars are not cranked way up (premature suspenion wear and bad ride....).

w.

You better get on it...I have one with 448,000 on the clock and has never been opened.

I also have a 9' Western UltraMount for sale.

I went down this evening and tried the truck out and you would never know it has the mileage that it does. Damn cool looking truck, dark green metallic.
Has every option but leather and power seat. After I drove it we took it to his shop and put it on the lift for a real good extended look and it is clean as a whistle underneath, he constantly sprays the undercarriage with the Amsoil rust prohibitor. When it was fleet maintained Bushmaster spared no expense and used Amsoil every 8000 miles and also ran the synthetics in the tranny and differentials.

I mentioned that the air conditioner seemed a little weak so while we were there he completely evacuated the old coolant and charged the system with new coolant, it worked better on the ride back.

I took it on a couple rough roads on the ride and it road quite well for a one ton. Ran like a top and shifted fine. The speedometer acted up a little, he said he'd replace it.

A new commercial sticker will be on it by weeks end.

The guy was a little odd when it came time to close the deal, said he didn't need a deposit and he'd get my information on the phone tomorrow morning. So I feel that it's a little up in the air whether or not I actually have a purchase. I'll call tomorrow, I'm sure everything will be fine. He really wanted to keep the plow and I am unsure what style plow I want anyhow, so he is keeping it. $7,000. out the door. It retails for $14,000. even with the high mileage......so I think it's a pretty fair deal. It has a hightop fiberglass cap for it that matches the truck color, I will be selling that as soon as it gets home.

I would like to have had a little something in writing to seal the deal, but he insisted on the phone call tomorrow.

Last edited:
I don't get it regarding the plow. You said you wanted a plow truck...

For an extra grand you can have the setup less the blade. Its a decent amount of work, and say you grab a Fisher or other MM style, you're looking at $1500 used. If its a V you're looking for, well then...

I'd offer him $7800 with the setup less the blade. Its a PITA to find a used plow with the whole kit, then install, yada yada yada. You can easily find the blade and save a lot of time and work.

I guess what I'm saying is you're not saving time, and depending on the deal on the next plow, I don't know if you are saving any money.

Let someone else pay for the stainless blade though, IMO.

I hope you get it. It looks like a good deal. Keep an eye on the front suspension/ball joints. Dad's first 3/4t Suburban ate thru them rather quickly, his 2nd 3/4t Suburban lasted 3x as long, we're thinking because we switched to useing Moly grease to grease the front end.

I locked in on at least the truck and I'm trying to work a deal on the plow gear that is on the truck without the blade and headgear. The actual blade height on the X Blade is 31" and he told me on a warmer winter day the plow blocks alot of air from the radiator and overheating can follow. I might be more interested on a conventional plow, a standard Minute Mount 2 maybe.

He needed a little time to secure a newer truck for himself so I told him to keep the truck for a week or two. My old rusted out GMC has 30 legal days left on the road anyhow.

Last edited:
On the AC being weak I know he charged the thing, but if it doesn't flow alot of air slap in a new hepa filter-should take care of it. My 02 GMC has never been charged and it'll freeze you out mang. But the hepas won't flow much when they get dirty.

On the AC being weak I know he charged the thing, but if it doesn't flow alot of air slap in a new hepa filter-should take care of it. My 02 GMC has never been charged and it'll freeze you out mang. But the hepas won't flow much when they get dirty.

The HEPA filter is near the firewall somewhere? My friend replaced his in his Buick and it helped.

Owners manual will give you filter location. Good job on buying that ride. Don't worry too much about the plow setup. They're really not all that bad to R & R. If you do buy the iron on the truck make sure you want a Fischer plow. ( Good unit imho ) A C

FWIW, the cabin filter was dropped in '02 or '03 and up....They don't have them any longer. My '01 has it, my Dad's '03 doesn't

Back