Trunks remaining

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maowwg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I’m seeing this around town. Trees that appear to be professionally removed but the trunk (maybe 10-20 feet) is left standing in the yard.

I was thinking that might have been a cost savings but really? It’s a lot of sawing and weight and probably doesn’t go through the chipper easily at 2 -3 feet in diameter.. But how much could one save vs having a trunk standing in the yard for the next 5-8 years and then rotting out?

Is there another reason for this activity?

So I’m seeing this around town. Trees that appear to be professionally removed but the trunk (maybe 10-20 feet) is left standing in the yard.

I was thinking that might have been a cost savings but really? It’s a lot of sawing and weight and probably doesn’t go through the chipper easily at 2 -3 feet in diameter.. But how much could one save vs having a trunk standing in the yard for the next 5-8 years and then rotting out?

Is there another reason for this activity?
wood disposal has gone up recently, and most homeowners will do anything to save a buck so its most likely worth it from a homeowner perspective to save a few bucks by leaving it standing. we also see homeowners often leave 5-10 foot of standing butt to use it for a yard decoration, or to get it professionally carved.

I agree with the homeowners trying to save money most of the time. In some of our "Mill Villages" there is only 15' between houses and all the utilities run between the houses underground. So the trunk wood has to either be craned or rigged out. I've seen maybe two cases where a homeowner knows somebody with a bucket truck from the power company or what not and they strip the tree out but don't have a saw large enough to fell it. Or the skills, not sure.

So is it “real money” that people actually save leaving a 2-3 diameter foot wooden monolith / monument to Emerald Ash bugs in their front yard for several years to come? What can it possibly cost to complete the removal when the crew and equipment are already on site and working. Assume 30 inches at chest higher. And say 20 inches 10-15 feet up. How much can people actually save vs the disposal fee?

Depending on the location, I recommend that clients leave the trunk because snags serves as habitat for bats, birds, and other critters. They attract insects fungi moss etc which are food source. If it's right next to your house might not be the best idea. Larger properties yes.
bird_pileated-woodpecker_Liz-Noffsinger_400x267.png

So is that 1/3 of the job. $1500 for the whole tree and $1000 if we leave you the trunk that’s too big for the chipper and / or requires much more equipment to move it? Or is it more like $2500 for the whole job and you’re saving 1/5th?

Either way divorce attorneys cost way more than $500 and yet I see several of these in my daily drive. Decent houses decent well kept landscaping.

Maybe the homeowners are counting on the tree to regrow water shoots and the tree to continue growing. I see a fair amount of this practice.. Some make it, some don't.

wood disposal has gone up recently, and most homeowners will do anything to save a buck so its most likely worth it from a homeowner perspective to save a few bucks by leaving it standing. we also see homeowners often leave 5-10 foot of standing butt to use it for a yard decoration, or to get it professionally carved.
I ran trumpet vine over one like that - mostly to spite a nasty relative who took it upon themselves to have a previous one cut down because they thought I'd prefer that (no explanation as to why I'd have planted the trumpet vine if that was the case...)

Back